The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

R&D Tax Credits

Taxes and regulation

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I just want to bring up this topic. Right now I am developing new products, as some of you know. It turns out, I'm eligible for significant tax credits for research and development (basically 10,000's of free money that the G man can't swipe from me because the tax code says so... as long as I file the correct incantations). You can go back a few years to file amendments and take these credits. You can also carry them for 20 years forward if it takes you that long to become taxable with your new project (but let's hope not). Newer companies can also apply these credits to federal employment taxes (SS and medicare).

I mention this because a lot of people think you have to be doing pharmaceutical research or astronomy or physics or something to become eligible for these credits, but actually you don't. You just have to be researching and/or developing something within certain guidelines... which you should discuss with a CPA not me. You can also peruse the relevant IRS forms, which include Form 6765.

In the past, I have also gotten credits for Domestic Production, which happened because I made my products and paid my developers in the US, as opposed to overseas.I think that one is currently gone, but it's worth looking out for things like this... there are a lot of incentives in the tax code (in the US anyway) to research, make stuff, produce stuff here, etc., and a lot of smaller companies don't know they can take them. In my experience, you often have to peruse tax codes or attend webinars / conferences every so often to find out about them (and they change all the time), and then you can put your CPA on them and they can take care of the details.

Enjoy keeping your money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
I just want to bring up this topic. Right now I am developing new products, as some of you know. It turns out, I'm eligible for significant tax credits for research and development (basically 10,000's of free money that the G man can't swipe from me because the tax code says so... as long as I file the correct incantations). You can go back a few years to file amendments and take these credits. You can also carry them for 20 years forward if it takes you that long to become taxable with your new project (but let's hope not). Newer companies can also apply these credits to federal employment taxes (SS and medicare).

I mention this because a lot of people think you have to be doing pharmaceutical research or astronomy or physics or something to become eligible for these credits, but actually you don't. You just have to be researching and/or developing something within certain guidelines... which you should discuss with a CPA not me. You can also peruse the relevant IRS forms, which include Form 6765.

In the past, I have also gotten credits for Domestic Production, which happened because I made my products and paid my developers in the US, as opposed to overseas.I think that one is currently gone, but it's worth looking out for things like this... there are a lot of incentives in the tax code (in the US anyway) to research, make stuff, produce stuff here, etc., and a lot of smaller companies don't know they can take them. In my experience, you often have to peruse tax codes or attend webinars / conferences every so often to find out about them (and they change all the time), and then you can put your CPA on them and they can take care of the details.

Enjoy keeping your money.

I may as well mention here that there's government R&D schemes in the UK too. Again, you don't have to be in pharma or whatever - I've worked for tech startups making apps/platforms that have applied successfully, including for work that was subcontracted. And depending on things, you can get back actual cash in your account, not just money off future tax liabilities.

Claiming Research and Development tax reliefs

Of course there's a whole industry around companies that will help you apply for this successfully, and even borrow against future claims. DM me if you want any recs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.