The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question On Registrars and Domains

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
With domain name registrars, do you you have to use the registrar you register the domain name with to host your website?

Also, I have noticed some of these registrars like 1and1 list the number of "subdomains" available. Is a subdomain for example like www.whatever.com/forum whereas the root domain would be just www.whatever.com or are subdomains different?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
No. You can buy a domain name from namecheap.com and host it on Hostgator. Within your control panel in the company you bought you domain from is a place to enter nameservers. You hosting company will tell you to add two namesevers to your domain name control panel. They should be like ns1.hostagor.com and ns2.hostgator.com.

Hostgator tells you that their names servers are ns1.hostgator.com and ns2.hotgator.com and you go to namecheap and find the place where you add your nameservers and add those two in them.

Say your domain name is learn.com. A sub domain would be forum.learn.com if you wanted a forum or whatever it is. You can create the sub part.

What hosting and domain company are you looking at?

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks for the info; I haven't checked hosting yet, however for domains I have thus far checked GoDaddy.com and 1and1.com.

What happens if the domain name company you used goes out of business? Do you lose the domain name?

Also is there a way to have backup hosting available in the event a host's servers shut down due to power failure say?

TheChaoz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 24, 2009
Belgium
Domains are controlled by ICANN. I'm not sure how it works, but I guess the actual big players have access to a specific API that allows them to communicate with the ICANN servers from their site. Examples of this are GoDaddy, eNom, etc. IF they should go out of business then your domain is safe and you can extend it with a different registrar.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
You point your servers to two name servers so if one goes down the other picks it up. Most hosting companies are up 99.9% of the time. The shouldn't be an issue by any means.

I would seriously check out namecheap.com. For about $10 you can get a domain with free whois guard and I think SSL if you want security or are taking credit card numbers.

If you need more help let me know.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
A sub-domain is a domain that is part of a larger domain. EXAMPLE: www.sub-domain.LargerDomain.com A sub-domain cannot function without the primary domain.

An example of www.LargerDomain.com/whatever, the whatever is typically a folder or file within your larger domain. If it were a folder it may be something like images, blog, forum. Then the files that communicated to display the images, blog or forum would be within them.

An addon domain is a fully functional domain that can be created from within your control panel. You do not need to pay for hosting for each domain you own. Typically, a hosting company allows multiple addon domains all included in the hosting which is set up for your "main" or "primary" domain - the first domain you set up when the hosting was originally established.

As Maximus stated the hosting companies are typically very reliable and they do have redundant servers however, YOU can make regular backups of your files and db and it is recommended to do so.

Enjoy your web building adventure! BTW, thanks for the thread. I think I will add it to my site's training area. ;)

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Yes, please make some backups. I do know people that have lost everything in one day, but luckily they made backups. I am talking about a 1k/day business almost gone.

I would suggest make backups weekly. Most likely you will need to backup your main files maybe once and then your database files weekly since this stores most of the data depending on what script or type of website you have.

Any more questions? I'll be more than happy to answer :)

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Well, three questions:

1) On database files, what do you mean exactly...? Like what are those...?

2) My business will be being started from the apartment I am in right now. Thing is, what happens if the power blows and I thus cannot access the Internet for awhile? Around here, this can occassionally happen from a storm (say a pole falls down or a tree falls and hits a line), however, in the winter time especially, heavy snow can sometimes melt somewhat and then freeze and completely kill the power in areas. That happened last year in certain areas. How do you keep the business operating then...?

3) What happens if my computer gets hit with a virus or crashes or whatnot and thus cannot be used for the business. Should one have a backup computer around in case of this...?

TheChaoz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 24, 2009
Belgium
You can easily write (or probably buy) software for this. If you know how to write a PHP then it shouldn't be too hard to whip one up to dump the contents of your main database every day in an SQL dump and then transfer/mail to a different server. As for files; get a second backup server or a respectable company that offers you daily backups of their servers. A good running commerce site will often run on its own dedicated server any ways. Some VPS providers also have these options as well I believe.

As for the computer problems. One; make sure you have a second one; they're really cheap nowadays so you should be able to get an 'emergency' laptop for €300-400.
Having access to the 3G network for internet might also be nice; however - depending on where you live you cost may vary. Some providers in certain countries offer 8mbit up and down for €30, others charge €15 for 15mb of data transfer per month.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Not a lot of time to reply but I will try to make it quick.
1. Databases store data. Any content that you grab from people when they visit your site is stored in a database (so the computers don't have to keep it in memory). They store it and forget it until some code comes along and "calls" for the data... the db replies with the info that is called for and the files display information.

2. Go wireless and have an extra battery? First thought that pooped into my pea brain, lol.

3. It happens. Get rid of the virus, install your backup or get a backup from your hosting company. I would not worry about having an extra computer, they are free to use at the library. And when you do upgrade computers keep the other one in the house. Ours get handed down to the kids, until they decide to get their own.

It sounds a little like you are making a lot of excuses. Be mindful to not allow that to get in the way of taking action. You should be asking yourself "HOW CAN I do business if..." or "How WILL I do business when..."

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
2. Go wireless and have an extra battery? First thought that pooped into my pea brain, lol.

Don't you need the power for the wireless to work...? From what I understand the wireless works when you have the wireless router feeding from the Internet box thing so that other computers can then access the Internet wirelessly. But if the power blows, the wireless won't work...?

It sounds a little like you are making a lot of excuses. Be mindful to not allow that to get in the way of taking action. You should be asking yourself "HOW CAN I do business if..." or "How WILL I do business when..."

NOOOO....I am just a planner is all ;) I do have a tendency to over-analyze things I suppose, but I think there are basic things one can still forsee, the point is not to over-analyze. I just want to make sure I don't miss some big thing and then establish the business then have it come crashing down on me due to some stupid mistake I made.

But yes, those are the questions I am asking myself (how to do business if... or how to do business when..., etc...) I guess I should have worded my questions more clearly.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Well, three questions:

1) On database files, what do you mean exactly...? Like what are those...?

2) My business will be being started from the apartment I am in right now. Thing is, what happens if the power blows and I thus cannot access the Internet for awhile? Around here, this can occassionally happen from a storm (say a pole falls down or a tree falls and hits a line), however, in the winter time especially, heavy snow can sometimes melt somewhat and then freeze and completely kill the power in areas. That happened last year in certain areas. How do you keep the business operating then...?

3) What happens if my computer gets hit with a virus or crashes or whatnot and thus cannot be used for the business. Should one have a backup computer around in case of this...?

1) Database files are basicly files that store your posts, among other things such as users and their information. All you do is set up the database via phpmyadmin in your Cpanel. Your Cpanel is a control panel that your hosting company will give you. You don't need to buy any software...

2) The only thing I can come up with is go find another place that has an internet connection. Even if you have a laptop you still need to connect to the internet and for that to happen you router, wireless or not, uses power. The site will still be up and people can access it since the files are stored in a server somewhere else.

3) Again, the files will be stored on the server so even if you backup your information, it is highly unlikely that your company and the server will crash at the same time. So when you get a new computer (since the other one died) you can go to your Cpanel and just redownload the files if you want to have another backup.

I hope I answered your questions. Let me know.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Don't you need the power for the wireless to work...? From what I understand the wireless works when you have the wireless router feeding from the Internet box thing so that other computers can then access the Internet wirelessly. But if the power blows, the wireless won't work...?
OK, maybe wireless was not the correct word. Use one of those internet connections - connect anywhere - that plug into your computer that work anywhere. They work anywhere you can get cell coverage.

NOOOO....I am just a planner is all ;) I do have a tendency to over-analyze things I suppose, but I think there are basic things one can still forsee, the point is not to over-analyze. I just want to make sure I don't miss some big thing and then establish the business then have it come crashing down on me due to some stupid mistake I made.
I can totally relate to this as I fall in the category as well. Maybe I recognized the signs... ;) I find if I take ANY action is better than not and I learn a lot making mistakes!

I can't wait to hear more once you get going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.