The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Punishment] Accountability

Allan Black

Fastlane Fanatic
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Canada
A month ago when I was waiting at a bus stop, there was another dude waiting as well, we chatted up, talked about general crap. He seems like a pretty cool guy. eventually we exchange numbers and we gone our way. He periodically text me a few times over the days, and I never disclose to him anything about my personal life other than, general crap.

Today I received a text from him and these were his exact words: "Hey man, are you looking to make some extra cash".

I'm pretty freakin embarrassed to say my answer was: "Depend on what it is".

Guilty :bgh:

5 seconds later after that text I'd said to myself; "what the hell did I just said?" "What did I say that?" "What hell is wrong with me?"

He obviously went on to say: "cool, lets meet up and I'll tell whats its all about blah blah blah."

I told him to F off. I don't know what it was and I didn't care! It could have been a job offer , mlm, sales, drugs whatever.

I was so disgusted with myself that at that point that I seriously felt like committing suicide.

Here I was chasing money again! like a sidewalkian fkin imbecile!

So, just like I would reward myself for accomplishment, I'm going to punish myself for this epic fail.

Not physical punishment mind you, practical punishment.

My punishment Is:

This Sunday (Oct 20th) at the mall in Toronto, (Eaton Centre), I will sit where there is tons of foot traffic, and I will hold a sign that says: "I chase money, therefore I'm a Sidewalker" for 3 hours straight. I will have someone take a picture of me with the sign as proof, and I will post it in this thread here on Sunday.

Moderators If I do not post the pics of me holding the sign on this thread on Sunday as proof, I want you to ban me from this forum permanently. Dead serious.

The idea is as you know, we often use the carrot to drive ourselves forwards. But sometimes it's a must to also have a stick right behind us in order to make progress or change bad habits/tendencies. it's important not only to face consequences, but to take accountability and prevent ourselves from making the same mistake again, the same as if you had not reached your goals.

Another reason why I posted this here, is to get you to think about the choices you make on a daily basis, whether the choice is towards a road of prosperity or a road of ruin. We all make mistakes, but do you really take accountability to never make the same mistake again, and pursue the right path? I'm starting to ask myself that question now. Huge lesson I'm learning.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Stay tuned.

(P.S This thread may eventually need to be moved to the funnies section soon :( )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This Sunday (Oct 20th) at the mall in Toronto, (Eaton Centre), I will sit where there is tons of foot traffic, and I will hold a sign that says: "I chase money, therefore I'm a Sidewalker" for 3 hours straight.

Lol, I'd send you a case of books to sell when people ask ya "What the hell is a Sidewalker?"

Don't beat yourself up too much ... the guy you were chatting with was probably pre-greasing you for an MLM pitch.

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Eaton centre, haha I might come by. But, seriously the dude who texted you was probably an MLMer. These guys hit me up all the time with the usual "lets discuss this over coffee" bullshit. Its a dog eat dog world.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MLM people are scripted on how to do exactly what you just described, from the initial approach, to the friendship stage, and finally the proposition.

Do NOT waste your time holding up a F*cking sign. Stop thinking like a loser. Spend the time you were committed to doing that... advancing your goals. Do not lose three hours of your life flagellating. Take action and stop F*cking around.

If you don't follow this advice (or... more seriously if you post the sign here) I will personally ban your a$$. Give yourself a break, and move on. Take that time and use it for something positive. This isn't kindergarten, and you don't deserve a self imposed time out.

There was value in your OP and in your awakening. Do not go over the deep end here in self deprecation.

D

DeletedUser394

If you don't follow this advice (or... more seriously if you post the sign here) I will personally ban your a$$. Give yourself a break, and move on. Take that time and use it for something positive. This isn't kindergarten, and you don't deserve a self imposed time out.

I've tried to get myself banned multiple times.. who knew all I needed to do was hold up a sign and take a photo. j/k

OP, it's not the end of the world. You're 23, you've got your whole life in front of you. I don't see what you did wrong either. Just one positive change at a time and you'll get to where you want to be in no time. Holding up a sign that most people won't even understand is a waste of your time.

D

DeletedUser2

you learn more from your mistakes.

congrats you just got your degree in douchebag dodging

now, sounds like a success to me.

drop the drama, faux self whipping. and get back to fastlane focus.

Z

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Well while I'm impressed with your persistence at changing your mindset don't beat yourself up. The greatest opportunities come in chance form when we are willing to take them and are ready for them.

Given this guy was probably an MLM-er but some of my best opportunities have come from people that said, do you want to check this out? I say yes, give them a short amount of time and turn them down or take them up on it. 9 times out of 10 it's bs looking to grab money from my wallet. But I say yes for that 1 out of 10 chance.

This time, you're right to hold yourself accountable but don't always count it out because you didn't think of it.

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

Allan Black

Fastlane Fanatic
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Ive calmed down. You are all right, I'm just being a clown. Im dropping the act, and re focusing on my fastlane business. Thanks. Wow was I being a slob lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.