The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PSA: Google Charging for reCaptcha. hCaptcha pays you instead!

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Cloudflare just announced they're switching to hCaptcha.

hCaptcha allows companies to buy data labeling at scale so your visitors train their AI. You then get a cut of that money.

I've always hated the reCaptcha implementation, but it's the best out there. Especially with their v3.

(Except for that sticky badge on the right side. That's like a slap across the face to webmasters. "You're our b* now. You will obtrusively advertise for us whether you like it or not.")

Issue with hCaptcha as far as I can tell is increased customer friction. It's not the standard human verification people are used to. I'm implementing it on a couple of sites, to see how it works.

Anyone have experience with it - on either the labeling or the webmaster side?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Before anyone runs out to replace their reCaptcha, let's stop and reflect on the fact that none of us here runs a Cloudflare-scale of infrastructure. As with most of Google's API services (eg Google Maps), there's always going to be a generous free tier that will be more than adequate for most small to medium websites.

And in this case, it appears reCaptcha is free for 1,000 API calls per second or 1 million calls per month.

I'm actually quite surprised that Google never had some sort of clause in their ToS that prevented huge infrastructure companies like Cloudflare from essentially leeching off their backs. Just imagine the load that Cloudflare alone as a single reCaptcha user was sending to Google's servers -- from the millions of their customer sites that have WAF enabled!

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Before anyone runs out to replace their reCaptcha, let's stop and reflect on the fact that none of us here runs a Cloudflare-scale of infrastructure. As with most of Google's API services (eg Google Maps), there's always going to be a generous free tier that will be more than adequate for most small to medium websites.

And in this case, it appears reCaptcha is free for 1,000 API calls per second or 1 million calls per month.

I'm actually quite surprised that Google never had some sort of clause in their ToS that prevented huge infrastructure companies like Cloudflare from essentially leeching off their backs. Just imagine the load that Cloudflare alone as a single reCaptcha user was sending to Google's servers -- from the millions of their customer sites that have WAF enabled!

View attachment 32117

That's a good distinction if you run just your website or two.

For the rest, you can make a couple of accounts to get past these limits, or unload them on your clients.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them be more aggressive with their payment structure like they've done with their maps API in the past few years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.