The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress thread (DS91)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DS91

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2011
So after spending the last two days just reading through the posts on this forum I’ve decided that it’s time for me to finally get moving on doing something on my own. I have played around with the idea of starting a business before but I’ve always had an excuse not to.

I don’t have the money.

I don’t know what to do.

I’m too busy with school right now (particularly pathetic if you know my study habits).

The one I find most hilarious is at one point I had a great idea that I refused to start because I couldn’t find anyone to partner with me. It was when I read Millionaire Fastlane that I finally thought to myself “idiot, stop being scared and go do something.†But of course the excuses continued to come.

I sat down and took measure of what I had. My available capital is virtually non-existent (I would say the number but it would make me cry). All I’ve learned from college is how to keep a 4.0 while drinking and partying far too much, doing a minimal amount of work, and being in enough ridiculous and somewhat life-changing situations to fill a sitcom. It seemed like I had nothing to work with.

Then I realized that college students might be a great target audience for a
properly done blog, and I’m pretty good at this whole writing thing.

My hope for this thread is that anytime I feel like slacking or giving up I’ll think “but what will they say over at forum?!â€

Long term goals:

Build a blog that provides me with a passive income. As a result I will have:

-Learned the ins and outs of what it takes to build such a blog, thus giving me an option to pursue a business teaching others to successfully monetize blogs.

- Hopefully build a brand. Based on my initial thoughts I believe I can formulate the blog so that it appeals to both a niche audience (college kids who are actively looking for self-help regarding college) and a more general audience (college kids in general).

-Make a number of contacts.

Short term goals:
Save up the money to buy a domain name and whatever you have to pay for wordpress.

Research what goes into a good blog.
-What kind of posts and content should I have.
- What kind of structure do the popular websites have.

Research traffic
-I have heard a number of terms such as SEO and rankings, etc. But I don’t actually know what that truly means, which means research.

Find out how Blogs actually make money
- I know of advertising, and affiliating marketing. Emphasis on “of†which means I have no idea how they work, which tools to use, etc. More research

Fire goals:
I acknowledge that I have a tendency to go for the ready, aim, aim mentality. So I want to continually have “fire†goals, things that will actively contribute to me starting my business rather than getting ready to start.
In this case it is to start writing posts that I will put on the blog. This will have the triple benefit of letting get content right away, allow to ascertain that I can have daily content for the blog, and allow me to get a consistent voice and writing style down.

All of this will require working late into the night powered by nothing but mountain dew and will power. Oh hey, being a student did teach me something useful after all :).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Targeting college kids is a good idea imo. There are 18.2 million college students in the US, idk about the world. Lots of advertisings like to target college students as well so they could be future advertisers on your site. Actually, a site I am creating is targeted towards college students as well.

And just remember, keep at it. Like MJ says, its not get rich quick or easy.

From a fellow college student entrepreneur, Best of luck to ya!

DS91

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement oddball!

I didn't get much done today but I did do a number of searched on google for sites that were related to my idea. Essentially I wanted to see if I was going for a niche that was already filled.

I see the situation as this. There is a host of sites out there on tips for college, to throw college parties, etc. They seem to operate on two extremes. Either they are politically correct and assume college kids are angels, or they focus entirely on the partying and getting drunk aspect. Moreover, they all seem to lack the personal touch of, here's my story this is what you can learn from it.

My gut reaction is to put out a totally different product. Essentially a combination of how to and self-help motivational development. Use my experiences to teach kids how to get a 4.0 while throwing massive parties, etc. And do it in a humorous tone so my blog is actually fun to read.

In case anyone is reading I do have a question. Could self-help/development for a specifically college setting be considered a niche market?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.