The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product idea: Fidget Toy (Needs opinions)

Idea threads

iivalky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 9, 2022
Canada
Hi guys,
I have recently came up with an idea for a cheap and affordable fidget toy targeted towards hyperactive people to keep them busy during tedious times. Now, for my product's security I won't state exactly what it is, but I will be taking an existing item (used for a completely different purpose) and make some additional modifications to be marketed as a brand new item. It is a very simplistic design and there seem to be a gap in the market for it. This item is very cheap to make, especially in large quantities and has immense mark-up potential. What do you think of this idea and do you think it can sell well?

Edit: Would you consider buying one of these yourself, from the perspective of someone who struggles with stress? How should it be marketed to separate it from the rest of the market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Hi guys,
I have recently came up with an idea for a cheap and affordable fidget toy targeted towards hyperactive people to keep them busy during tedious times. Now, for my product's security I won't state exactly what it is, but I will be taking an existing item (used for a completely different purpose) and make some additional modifications to be marketed as a brand new item. It is a very simplistic design and there seem to be a gap in the market for it. This item is very cheap to make, especially in large quantities and has immense mark-up potential. What do you think of this idea and do you think it can sell well?
Ask yourself the following question:
is the problem this product is going to solve painful enough to pay for the solution your are proposing?

iivalky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 9, 2022
Canada
Ask yourself the following question:
is the problem this product is going to solve painful enough to pay for the solution your are proposing?
It's honestly hard to tell. I think that it could throw a curveball into the fidget toy niche as manufacturing costs are low, while at the same time I feel like it could be useful as I could see myself using something like this. It is also easily transportable and is completely soundless, unlike fidget spinners which were intended to serve the same purpose but were apparently banned in schools due to this reason.

Last edited:

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
It's honestly hard to tell. I think that it could throw a curveball into the fidget toy niche as manufacturing costs are low, while at the same time I feel like it could be useful as I could see myself using something like this.
Take into account the coming recession+inflation economic environment, which means that people will reduce spending to basic needs (food+shelter). Would you buy your product if in this case you should sacrifice on food or shelter?

iivalky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 9, 2022
Canada
Take into account the coming recession+inflation economic environment, which means that people will reduce spending to basic needs (food+shelter). Would you buy your product if in this case you should sacrifice on food or shelter?
If the item helps reduce stress for me, I'd probably consider it. In fact I could see it potentially having higher sales during hard times, if that makes sense.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
If the item helps reduce stress for me, I'd probably consider it. In fact I could see it potentially having higher sales during hard times, if that makes sense.
Test this statement on other people to avoid a subjectivity bias.

G

Guest116255

Hi guys,
Make a few prototypes and before mass producing them, give it to those who you'd believe would be consumers. You can later ask them if they would likely purchase the product over what is currently available. Although you do not mention details, its important to consider that fidget toys are a very, and I mean very saturated market. Not only are they cheap to make, but it can be easy for companies to copy one another. This all makes it a low entry barrier business. Again, I do not have specifics so it is hard to tell whether it has potential or not, nonetheless I would be weary of what I mentioned.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
373%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
cheap and affordable fidget toy targeted towards hyperactive people to keep them busy during tedious times
One of these?
Fidget_spinner_red%2C_cropped.jpg

It maybe a fun project.

I reckon do as @glvnce says. I cant add anything else.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 10, 2022
Hi guys,
I think it is good so you can start learning how to sell, and how to build a business around a product. Doing something is always better than doing nothing. That being said, everyone and their mother has already designed a fidget toy.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Just do it! 3d print it! Or laser cut or whatever. Than just make a few videos in your social medias. Offer here. You ll sell or not.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi guys,
I have recently came up with an idea for a cheap and affordable fidget toy targeted towards hyperactive people to keep them busy during tedious times. Now, for my product's security I won't state exactly what it is, but I will be taking an existing item (used for a completely different purpose) and make some additional modifications to be marketed as a brand new item. It is a very simplistic design and there seem to be a gap in the market for it. This item is very cheap to make, especially in large quantities and has immense mark-up potential.
What's your actual question? If you should go ahead with the idea or not?

That depends on a WHOLE set of factors, including (but not limited to) --- what your plans are for marketing, saturation of these types of products, whether this solves a need (I'm sure it does to some extent), and how much of a RISK it is to you and your family to take this on.

If this is weekend of work for you and $1000 order - what are you really risking to not try this?
What do you think of this idea and do you think it can sell well?
EVERTHING can sell well if you know what you are doing.

Sometimes you might have a competitive advantage (right marketplace at the right time). Sometimes you might hit the correct demographic on FB ADS. Other times your father in law is the director of the purchasing department at WALMART (as an example).

For most times it's just sh*t ton of trial and error until you find your way with the product to get it into the right hands.

I have sold several dozen(s) of different products throughout the last 2+ decades, and my only takeaway is EVERYTHING sells as long as you can execute.

Business many times is 10% product and 90% execution and sales. Many of what I and others have sold throughout the years has nothing to do with reinventing the wheel, rather making a small improvement / adjustment on a common good already sold with a preexisting market.

---------------------

Now think about what it is that you are really asking and come back with a better question!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.