The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Power Poses

Anything related to matters of the mind

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Before I start, I gotta thank @Damian Pros for mentioning this topic in his AMA, that was the first time I ever heard about this topic. I think everyone on here can benefit from this.

Recent researches show that powerful and effective leaders not only share similar mindsets, but also similar hormone levels.

More specifically: their levels of testosterone are higher and their levels of cortisol lower.

But what do those two do?

Well, higher levels of testosterone (in men and women) lead to increased feelings of confidence and lower levels of cortisol lead to decreased anxiety and an improved ability to deal with stress.

Put simple, you feel more confident and less stressed.

Alright, so far so good, sounds interesting right?

It does. But what's even more interesting is that the levels of those hormones can change pretty fast dependent on social, physical and environmental cues.

One of those physical cues happens to be none less than Body Language.

Done right, your body language can increase your levels of testosterone and at the same time decrease your levels of cortisol aka making you more confident and less stressed.

Shut up with that theoretical stuff and tell me how to apply it Supa! You may scream now, so let's jump right into the HOW now that we are done with the WHY.

Well, it appears that there are 2 kinds of body poses, according to Amy Cuddy (a researcher at Harvard):
Here's a link to Amy Cuddy's TED talk about Power Poses.

Low Power Body Language and High Power Body Language.

The names are pretty much self-explanatory, Low Power Poses decrease your levels of testosterone and increase your levels of cortisol. In other words, the exact opposite of what we'd like to achieve: you feel less confident and are more prone to stress.

Doesn't sound appealing right?

Not really.

You may even have done those Low Power Poses without knowing, at least until you read this thread :)

I'll show you those poses in a few seconds.

To increase our levels of testosterone and lower our levels of cortisol we can take advantage of the so called High Power Poses.

Performing those has an increasing effect on our testosterone levels while at the same time an decreasing effect on our cortisol levels.

Now comes the best part of it.

Ready?

It doesn't take you more than 2 minutes a day to do those High Power Poses.

Ok sorry I was wrong, that wasn't the best part of it.

The best part of it is..

It has an immediate effect on your testosterone and cortisol levels.

In other words, in 2 minutes or less of doing those High Power Poses you feel more confident and less stressed.

But what am I still talking, let that graph speak for itself:

testosterone-cortisol-power-poses.jpg

Most of us already know about the importance of changing our mindsets to ones that people who already achieved what we want to achieve have.

Well, you just added another layer to this: changing your body language to one that those people have, aswell.

Alright, here's how those Poses look:

body-language-power-poses.jpg

You can clearly see that High Power body language is open and relaxed and Low Power body language is closed and guarded.

My favorite one, and IMO most effective is the Wonder Woman pose (middle of top row.)

Try it and you will know why..

Great moments to do the High Power Poses are under the shower, in the morning after getting up, before you're about to do something that may lead outside of your comfort zone, and literally every other situation that can benefit from higher confidence and being less stressed.

Alright guys and gals that's it.

There's no amount of talking or writing that can convince you more than just doing it and feeling it for yourself.

Feel Great. Do Great Things.

ct-amy-cuddy-power-poses-balancing-0201-20160201

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
Amy Cuddy had a huge success out of this but new researches have been conducted and they found out that power poses are not as powerful as Amy says they are. I can't find the link on mobile but will edit this as soon as I find it.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
power poses are not as powerful as Amy says they are
This may or may not be true...I haven't researched. I look forward to your link.

Even so...my Wife and I both practice them and they do feel good. Also, when you present yourself in certain poses in front of people, they read you differently. You give off a different vibe.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
This may or may not be true...I haven't researched. I look forward to your link.

Even so...my Wife and I both practice them and they do feel good. Also, when you present yourself in certain poses in front of people, they read you differently. You give off a different vibe.

Yes. I posted this because it helped me lately to get into a confident state, in which everything flows way smoother, and for me it worked great.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Best way to increase testosterone, and lower cortisol naturally, consistently good diet and exercise habits.

Then all of this other stuff is an added bonus.

Definitely agree though that there is a huge difference in how you feel when rotating between those high and low power poses.

I never intentionally think about how I'm standing, but trying those low power poses feels awkward and makes me feel wimpy. No thank you!

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I've heard this. The most rendition was that women need to adapt a Wonder Woman pose in meetings. The way you hold yourself does impact how you see yourself. However, rather than use buzzwords like "power poses", it's just good posture. I recommend starting here: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/03/08/the-ultimate-guide-to-posture/

Good posture is important. But Power Poses are not about posture, they are something you do when you're alone, to give your testosterone (confidence) a boost and lower your cortisol (stress).

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul

This was the one I read : http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_latest_example_of_scientific_overreach.html

These are the others:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/power-poses-body-language_n_7057658.html

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/04/power-poses-might-not-be-so-powerful-after-all/

I still couldn't get to open the pc so sorry for the long links. Can't edit them on mobile.

JacobBW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Best way to increase testosterone, and lower cortisol naturally, consistently good diet and exercise habits.

Then all of this other stuff is an added bonus.

Definitely agree though that there is a huge difference in how you feel when rotating between those high and low power poses.

I never intentionally think about how I'm standing, but trying those low power poses feels awkward and makes me feel wimpy. No thank you!

Agreed.
You don't have to be a tank, but working big muscle groups regularly will help boost your levels (think squats, deadlift etc)
And a good Zinc supplement feeds into higher testosterone levels,

Then the power poses really become an added boost/bonus for just before a big meeting

Funny how you can just feel the difference as you go about your day though

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You know what's gonna make my testosterone go through the roof?

A successful business.

Well, what if your boosted testosterone will help to make your business successful?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Well, what if your boosted testosterone will help to make your business successful?

My brain is all I need, does testosterone cross the blood brain barrier?

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
My brain is all I need, does testosterone cross the blood brain barrier?

Like with everything, this is not for everyone.

I know that a lot of people, like me, who can benefit from a boost in confidence. For personal and for business reasons.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I'm a gym rat - usually lift 6 days week. There is no greater feeling than finishing a back workout in which I have done a lot of rowing, pullups/lat pulldowns. After that, my back muscles naturally hold my posture so that my back is straight, my chest is out, my shoulders are packed and my arms naturally hang away from my sides. Talk about a power pose - I don't actually do it, but I feel like throwing my head back, beating my chest and roaring.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I'm a gym rat - usually lift 6 days week. There is no greater feeling than finishing a back workout in which I have done a lot of rowing, pullups/lat pulldowns. After that, my back muscles naturally hold my posture so that my back is straight, my chest is out, my shoulders are packed and my arms naturally hang away from my sides. Talk about a power pose - I don't actually do it, but I feel like throwing my head back, beating my chest and roaring.

Absolutely agree. Hitting the gym on a regular basis does some amazing boosts to your confidence (testosterone). Not just the sport itself but the feeling of taking action and engaging in a process (losing weight or gaining muscles).

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Absolutely agree. Hitting the gym on a regular basis does some amazing boosts to your confidence (testosterone). Not just the sport itself but the feeling of taking action and engaging in a process (losing weight or gaining muscles).

Agree - It's a very good model for achieving long-term goals generally requiring consistency, commitment, having a definite goal, etc., etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.