The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Potential first client -- need some advice!

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
First off, it's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I've been working hard. I've been teaching myself front-end web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript).

Now, there is a local security company that is looking for a new website. I contacted them, asking what exactly they would like, and I'm waiting for a response.

I figure I'm going to use a template to build their website, because it seems like the most efficient way to approach this. Since this is my first client, I want to build a site for them and then pitch the final product.

Naturally, I have a couple questions:

1. Templates cost money. What if they reject my website? Is this a risk beginners have to take?
2. I read in Fox's thread that websites are there to facilitate sales. How would I increase business for this company?

Also, any other advice?

Thanks for your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Don't build them anything. (They might not even get back to you)

Imagine I want a garden shed.

The last thing I want is for someone to come round and show me what they have built for me.

Maybe I want to store the gardening tools.

Maybe I want to have a place to sit and potter around in and read the paper in peace and quiet.

Maybe I want to have a beefed up one for a home gym.

Maybe I want to....

You get the idea.

You have no clue what I want.

Your one and only job is to get me talking about what I really want and why and then, and only then, start to show me how you can help me achieve this.

Dan

elopez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
First off, it's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I've been working hard. I've been teaching myself front-end web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript).

Now, there is a local security company that is looking for a new website. I contacted them, asking what exactly they would like, and I'm waiting for a response.

I figure I'm going to use a template to build their website, because it seems like the most efficient way to approach this. Since this is my first client, I want to build a site for them and then pitch the final product.

1. Templates cost money. What if they reject my website? Is this a risk beginners have to take?
2. I read in Fox's thread that websites are there to facilitate sales. How would I increase business for this company?

Also, any other advice?

Thanks for your help!
I agree with the other reply. You don't know what you need to build yet, until you have that discussion with your client, about what their needs are.

You can certainly offer them ideas and reference other websites as suggestions of what might work for their business. See how they respond. See what they like and don't like to get a better picture.

Remember, what you're selling isn't really a website, but the value the right website will provide to their business.

Also, look into something like Adobe XD (free), that will allow you to quickly mockup a website for them. Once they've signed off on a design you can jump into building/coding their website.

Just my two cents. Good luck to you on your ventures.

CoderSales

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Feb 3, 2020
Colorado

Also, any other advice?

Thanks for your help!
How do you know they need a new website? Who did you contact? When I was freelancing, I ALWAYS wanted to go straight to the top... the CEO/decision maker.

There's 4 qualifying pillars to follow:

Budget - does this security company have to budget for a website that you're pricing?

Authority - are you talking to the decision maker? I always went to the CEO because even if the marketing person made the decision maker, the CEO will tell them to do it.

Need - does this company really need this site? How do you know that? What would a new website accomplish? What would it solve? What would happen if they didn't get a new website? Find out the true 'why' and you're 50% of the way there.

Timing - when is this company going to pull the trigger on a new site? When do they want one up by? What else would (another campaign?) this tie into?

And no, do not make a website and pitch them the final product. They may hate it for their own reasons (maybe they won't like the shade of red you used in the nav bar) and blow out the deal. Ask them questions and then ask them more. They should be doing 80% of the talking in this initial meeting... if they get back to you.

If not, find the CEO's direct dial in their dial by name directory and call before 8am or after 5:30pm when the secretary is gone and get that CEO on the phone and set up a meeting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
1. Use a free template

2. Ask them whether/how their current website is bringing more business to them and then make it better with yours.

Design is up to you, however, I'd focus on doing on-page SEO for *local security company's name* + *local city's name* and make sure I have a bunch of phone and email buttons over the page. Don't sacrifice usability for a cooler design.

Ask for 50% in advance and the remainder to be paid after the site is finished & hosted and the client is happy. If they decline or start saying BS like "Don't worry, I'll pay after the website is done, don't you trust me? I'm trusting you, right?" and "I just want to see your work first and if everything is going well and the site does its job then you'll get your money, no problem! What, weren't you sure that your site will bring me more sales?" DO NOT WORK WITH THEM.

Trust me. Morons like the aforementioned will ruin your day, week and even month. Even if you're hungry to get your first client and first payment, do not work for free and do not work without prior payment. If they ask why 50% in advance say it's because it's a good way to show that you're both dedicated to the project and that it will motivate both of you to make it right and also that it will cover the expenses you'll make while building their website (even if there aren't any).

Other tips: Avoid asking them for design preferences and if they start bothering you about something irrelevant to the website's goal (like adding a weather widget or a clock) tell them that you can add that, no problem. Then remind them what the goal of the website is - to bring more sales for their business. Now ask them how a weather widget will help drive more sales and why they really need it. Then, before they have the opportunity to open their mouth, make up a BS statistic like "I'm fine with adding it anyway, but stuff like weather widgets and etc actually are known to lower conversion rates because they tend to distract prospects away from the sales funnel".

Last edited:

fredrtg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 29, 2020
Worcester, Massachusetts
1. Use a free template

2. Ask them whether/how their current website is bringing more business to them and then make it better with yours.

Design is up to you, however, I'd focus on doing on-page SEO for *local security company's name* + *local city's name* and make sure I have a bunch of phone and email buttons over the page. Don't sacrifice usability for a cooler design.

Ask for 50% in advance and the remainder to be paid after the site is finished & hosted and the client is happy. If they decline or start saying BS like "Don't worry, I'll pay after the website is done, don't you trust me? I'm trusting you, right?" and "I just want to see your work first and if everything is going well and the site does its job then you'll get your money, no problem! What, weren't you sure that your site will bring me more sales?" DO NOT WORK WITH THEM.

Trust me. Morons like the aforementioned will ruin your day, week and even month. Even if you're hungry to get your first client and first payment, do not work for free and do not work without prior payment. If they ask why 50% in advance say it's because it's a good way to show that you're both dedicated to the project and that it will motivate both of you to make it right and also that it will cover the expenses you'll make while building their website (even if there aren't any).

Other tips: Avoid asking them for design preferences and if they start bothering you about something irrelevant to the website's goal (like adding a weather widget or a clock) tell them that you can add that, no problem. Then remind them what the goal of the website is - to bring more sales for their business. Now ask them how a weather widget will help drive more sales and why they really need it. Then, before they have the opportunity to open their mouth, make up a BS statistic like "I'm fine with adding it anyway, but stuff like weather widgets and etc actually are known to lower conversion rates because they tend to distract prospects away from the sales funnel".
If I am understanding a lot of the information I am reading. It seems guiding the client to their problems seems to be the number one goal and then the second is showing how the website can provide solutions? What you are referencing above is using the clients problems to avert them from creating unnecessary changes and features to the website that will increase workload and time on the project?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.