The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

potential business to pursue

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
I've noticed Nevada and some in Arizona that the desert heat takes its toll on signs everywhere leaving them illegible. I do plan to move back to California where this business may or may not be as lucrative.

I'm wondering does someone have any experience or advice on obstacles that might surface in pursuing a sign business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I've noticed Nevada and some in Arizona that the desert heat takes its toll on signs everywhere leaving them illegible. I do plan to move back to California where this business may or may not be as lucrative.

I'm wondering does someone have any experience or advice on obstacles that might surface in pursuing a sign business?
Why not invent signs that can withstand the intense heat of the glaring sun? If you're able to pull off this one, wouldn't it make lives for you and your clients easier?

Seems like from your post that you're about to enter the sign business. Identify the problems, don't shift your business because of a problem, have you tried solving the problem?

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
You are absolutely right. It has crossed my mind to offer signs with more longevity it just seems they'd have to take word for it or have some sort of warranty/replacement for sign.

I have not tried to solve the problem. I know I'll just have to take action and figure it out as I go although there's business minded people here who might be able to help me understand how to be more effective with time or resources.

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Wife worked in this industry in customer service here in Australia. Contracts normally set with regional councils who have the option to buy from suppliers. Designs are the same, size etc and material needs to be the same.

I think in most cases they would make 30-40% profit (this is upfront cost the staff offered when tendering) it would include all the costs of manufacturing etc (probably hide profits) they would respond to the council body and if successful win the order.

Could be:
10 stop signs
Or
30 custom street signs for Sydney City Council.

I have no idea if this helped, my wife left the industry a few years ago and was only their for a short period.

Good luck mate

Omsubedi

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 25, 2021
Maryland
Seth, you can either work on developing a heat, dust, water resistant paint or a coating that can be applied on top of regular paint that protects the paint underneath. If successful in patenting the entire world will be your customer.

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021

You have to convince the people that are in charge of buying them to buy them. I think they just pick whoever for the right cost. They aren't incentivized to buy better ones for more. I don't think there is enough juice for the squeeze. That is my thinking of how that sort of thing works.

Imo, the dumpster rental business is one that I see is hot at the moment. I think it is not fully saturated, and lots of open opportunity at the moment. I'd just strike when you see a very lucrative situation. A person renting a dumpster is doing it for $300 a day. I think it is because people don't know or want to put it into a box trump and go to a dump yard, so they pay for the convenience of you dropping it off, picking it up and dumping it. It's for people moving, renovating, or buying new furniture and needing to get rid of things.

The other one I can think of is doing a mix of gutter cleaning, leaf cleaning($100+), window cleaning, and fence/deck/sidewalk/house exterior pressure cleaning. Anyone else got know of opportunities where it's high profit because it's so convenient to do so?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

I've lived in the desert for years; Phoenix and Yuma Az. I haven't noticed this. I spent 41 years in San Diego so have another reference as well. The signs around here seem to be in fine shape. I have signs all over the golf course and have not had the need to change any.

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
Wife worked in this industry in customer service here in Australia. Contracts normally set with regional councils who have the option to buy from suppliers. Designs are the same, size etc and material needs to be the same.

I think in most cases they would make 30-40% profit (this is upfront cost the staff offered when tendering) it would include all the costs of manufacturing etc (probably hide profits) they would respond to the council body and if successful win the order.

Could be:
10 stop signs
Or
30 custom street signs for Sydney City Council.

I have no idea if this helped, my wife left the industry a few years ago and was only their for a short period.

Good luck mate

I'm curious if someone could do street signs because i have seen a stop sign so faded its more white then red which could be dangerous. The profit margin seems to be good. Thanks for your help.

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
Seth, you can either work on developing a heat, dust, water resistant paint or a coating that can be applied on top of regular paint that protects the paint underneath. If successful in patenting the entire world will be your customer.
Actually my brother is an automotive painter and has been for decades he could maybe help to find a way to coat the signs and make them last longer. It's a great way to be optimistic about having the whole world as a customer. I do think it might only appeal to extreme heat areas like Las Vegas as an example.

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
You have to convince the people that are in charge of buying them to buy them. I think they just pick whoever for the right cost. They aren't incentivized to buy better ones for more. I don't think there is enough juice for the squeeze. That is my thinking of how that sort of thing works.

Imo, the dumpster rental business is one that I see is hot at the moment. I think it is not fully saturated, and lots of open opportunity at the moment. I'd just strike when you see a very lucrative situation. A person renting a dumpster is doing it for $300 a day. I think it is because people don't know or want to put it into a box trump and go to a dump yard, so they pay for the convenience of you dropping it off, picking it up and dumping it. It's for people moving, renovating, or buying new furniture and needing to get rid of things.

The other one I can think of is doing a mix of gutter cleaning, leaf cleaning($100+), window cleaning, and fence/deck/sidewalk/house exterior pressure cleaning. Anyone else got know of opportunities where it's high profit because it's so convenient to do so?
So i do a lot of driving maybe over 25k -30k miles some years doing deliveries as one job. I'm also a Mortgage Loan Officer and invest in real estate but i enjoy getting out of the house and doing something so i do deliveries.

Being out and about i really see lots of sunfaded signs (Las Vegas) and i figure if i approach these businesses or people and sell them a new sign its maybe a foot in the door.

BTW your idea of dumpsters is a pretty good one id say. Having the place to store them would be a concern but im sure starting out with one or two and then having a truck or renting one could get you started.

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
I've lived in the desert for years; Phoenix and Yuma Az. I haven't noticed this. I spent 41 years in San Diego so have another reference as well. The signs around here seem to be in fine shape. I have signs all over the golf course and have not had the need to change any.
I'm about to move to San Diego and of course you won't see many sun faded signs there because its some of the most consistent climate in the world. I'm talking Las Vegas or maybe Lake Havasu etc.

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
So i do a lot of driving maybe over 25k -30k miles some years doing deliveries as one job. I'm also a Mortgage Loan Officer and invest in real estate but i enjoy getting out of the house and doing something so i do deliveries.

Being out and about i really see lots of sunfaded signs (Las Vegas) and i figure if i approach these businesses or people and sell them a new sign its maybe a foot in the door.

BTW your idea of dumpsters is a pretty good one id say. Having the place to store them would be a concern but im sure starting out with one or two and then having a truck or renting one could get you started.

My thinking on it is to prove it in cheap prototype(s). That allows you to have proof you can make it. Find a way to connect with the buying agent. Re-iterate the sign to the buying agent's opinions so the buying agent has a compelling reason to buy yours over the others. If you gone to this length the buying agent for various reasons is likely to go with you.

--------

The dumpsters can be stolen because you leave it for hours at client's houses but I think because it's branded with your logo and a person needs a specialized truck to steal it is too much for thieves to think about doing. Cameras will be able to spot it. It could be an issue though, I am not certain.

I hear people are making $200k to $300k+ revenue per year on this. I think it is a hidden thing like vending machines before the idea disseminated on youtube. There seems like there is this window of opportunity before everyone is in on it. If anyone has insights on business opportunities that are promising do tell!

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
My thinking on it is to prove it in cheap prototype(s). That allows you to have proof you can make it. Find a way to connect with the buying agent. Re-iterate the sign to the buying agent's opinions so the buying agent has a compelling reason to buy yours over the others. If you gone to this length the buying agent for various reasons is likely to go with you.

--------

The dumpsters can be stolen because you leave it for hours at client's houses but I think because it's branded with your logo and a person needs a specialized truck to steal it is too much for thieves to think about doing. Cameras will be able to spot it. It could be an issue though, I am not certain.

I hear people are making $200k to $300k+ revenue per year on this. I think it is a hidden thing like vending machines before the idea disseminated on youtube. There seems like there is this window of opportunity before everyone is in on it. If anyone has insights on business opportunities that are promising do tell!
A prototype as well as being competitive with pricing when approaching a buying agent should be enough to have them consider purchasing.

On your idea of have rental dumpsters couldn’t you require customers to purchase insurance or have it built in to pricing?

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
A prototype as well as being competitive with pricing when approaching a buying agent should be enough to have them consider purchasing.

On your idea of have rental dumpsters couldn’t you require customers to purchase insurance or have it built in to pricing?
The business would insure the dumpster, truck, and has insurance for damage. The thing is if it turns out thieves out there are actively scheming to steal these several thousand dollar dumpsters that should be considered, it may take a while to get insurance to pay out, will the insurance company find a way to stiff you, how much lost income is there from not having that dumpster being rented out. Do you usually want to have more dumpsters than one would think as a buffer. I am sure there is a way to set up it up to account for everything and do well, but it's better to have some insight into it to be proactive. The way I am thinking is can I do it so it's ' more of an easy layup'(not that it will be) while the competition has more issues they stumble on(and more bottlenecks) while mine optimizes, grows, and profits at a faster rate. Essentially, can I continually optimize my business model, strategy, execution in a way to outcompete and excel faster than the competition to stay alive and thrive. Reaching a prominent competitive advantage and compelling, addicting high value proposition I think is the 'end goal' to achieve and obtain. The business at that point is a stable and predictable business/asset that cash flows. That's just my thoughts on it.

My thinking on the sign is that getting the buying agent more involved in the prototype process likely will get them to the point they are 90%+ going to choose you. If you can create many reasons for them to go with your product rather than another, and interact more it helps land the deal. Then you can use that connection to ask if they have any other signs, or things like signs they need someone like you to improve. Land more connections with different people using this connection.

Last edited:

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
The business would insure the dumpster, truck, and has insurance for damage. The thing is if it turns out thieves out there are actively scheming to steal these several thousand dollar dumpsters that should be considered, it may take a while to get insurance to pay out, will the insurance company find a way to stiff you, how much lost income is there from not having that dumpster being rented out. Do you usually want to have more dumpsters than one would think as a buffer. I am sure there is a way to set up it up to account for everything and do well, but it's better to have some insight into it to be proactive. The way I am thinking is can I do it so it's ' more of an easy layup'(not that it will be) while the competition has more issues they stumble on(and more bottlenecks) while mine optimizes, grows, and profits at a faster rate. Essentially, can I continually optimize my business model, strategy, execution in a way to outcompete and excel faster than the competition to stay alive and thrive. Reaching a prominent competitive advantage and compelling, addicting high value proposition I think is the 'end goal' to achieve and obtain. The business at that point is a stable and predictable business/asset that cash flows. That's just my thoughts on it.

My thinking on the sign is that getting the buying agent more involved in the prototype process likely will get them to the point they are 90%+ going to choose you. If you can create many reasons for them to go with your product rather than another, and interact more it helps land the deal. Then you can use that connection to ask if they have any other signs, or things like signs they need someone like you to improve. Land more connections with different people using this connection.
There has to be a way to install a tracking device into the dumpster where it is hidden since they're thousands of dollars. You make a valid point on the loss of income from a stolen dumpster which would lead me to think you'd need to be diligent in understanding exactly the process of insurance payout if stolen. Insurance companies can be tough to rely on but maybe someone could refer you to a decent one or you'll just have to go with the best you can find.

I can try to approach a buying agent about pricing as well as improvements they might like to see to signs currently under contract. Just making one major connection would definitely be a great start.

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
There has to be a way to install a tracking device into the dumpster where it is hidden since they're thousands of dollars. You make a valid point on the loss of income from a stolen dumpster which would lead me to think you'd need to be diligent in understanding exactly the process of insurance payout if stolen. Insurance companies can be tough to rely on but maybe someone could refer you to a decent one or you'll just have to go with the best you can find.

I can try to approach a buying agent about pricing as well as improvements they might like to see to signs currently under contract. Just making one major connection would definitely be a great start.
I think the thing about dumpster rentals is doing the due diligence, and contacting people that are successful in dumpster rental that are willing to share important info.

That type of business I believe has a lot of demand from the low mortgage rate causing people to move and renovate. It seems like people are noticing how lucrative it is, and it is starting to become saturated. The iron is still hot imo. Even a below average small business owner can do well when demand is so high.

SethLBender

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 3, 2018
Anaheim CA
I think the thing about dumpster rentals is doing the due diligence, and contacting people that are successful in dumpster rental that are willing to share important info.

That type of business I believe has a lot of demand from the low mortgage rate causing people to move and renovate. It seems like people are noticing how lucrative it is, and it is starting to become saturated. The iron is still hot imo. Even a below average small business owner can do well when demand is so high.
It seems logical with the low interest rates on mortgages and many people likely moving/remodeling in near future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.