The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Poke Holes on my idea of starting a Managed Service Business

Idea threads

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
Why did I think of this type of business?
I'm currently in the IT field and I've been doing research about various IT businesses that are built around being scalable. The fastest growing businesses I'm seeing in this field are Managed Service Providers which makes a lot of sense and I have an idea to start one. Some of the more well established MSP's are bringing in 100m or more a year in revenue's. These businesses are built around providing proactive monitoring services for businesses of all shapes and sizes. Usually charging anywhere from $10-$200 per computer device depending on what it is.

What's customer's need?
I'm still trying to recognize the entire need so this is me assuming; Businesses depend and need their servers and network devices to be up and functioning as much as possible. Down time equals a lot of lost revenue for a lot of companies. Providing IT services that are proactive rather than reactive waiting for the business to call once their critical server is down would be a huge benefit. Proactive services would include monthly server checks, software updates, and dispatching a tech as soon as we're alerted that the device is down.

Who's the competition?
There's some local competition in my area but I believe I can beat them with better marketing and focusing on providing managed services first and consulting services second or do away with consulting all together. A lot of the IT businesses around here appear to focus the other way around. However there's a MSP providing network monitoring services pulling 50m a year in revenues but they service businesses nationwide and not a huge focus on local so not a direct competitor I don't think. Another thing this company has over me is that they have their own equipment and call center to provide monitoring. I wouldn't be able to do this right off the bat so I would need to use some reseller services from other well established MSP's.

How will I setup this business?
I would use top rated local IT contractors from onforce.com or workforce.com whenever a dispatch out to the customers site was needed rather that's for a monthly check up or a service that's down. I would network with businesses through chamber of commerce and other events along with direct mail marketing and internet marketing. I was thinking about offering a month of service free for one device a business has as a way to prove my concept to the customer and show them how I can solve their need. The only thing is that I would I have to pay for this out of pocket for that month but it shouldn't be much more than $50 to do so.

When will I get this running?
My first goal would be to go ahead and spend a few weeks setting up the contract agreements, legal stuff, and tax stuff with professional account and lawyer. Also fine tune the plan setup the services, and build the website. The second goal would be to land 3 customers within 6 months. The end goal would be to have this business doing 3m-5m in yearly revenues.

Would love for you all to poke holes in my plans or offer any suggestions, even if its just telling me I'm stupid and should go back to the drawing board lol!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I'm still trying to recognize the entire need so this is me assuming

I would be clear about the need before.....

You do this....

My first goal would be to go ahead and spend a few weeks setting up the contract agreements, legal stuff, and tax stuff with professional account and lawyer.

Just my opinion though.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I worked for a VC-backed firm that was selling a server card that offered remote KVM to save time/money/downtime of sending a tech to the building. It also monitored for threats and such and everything else you'd really want to protect your server with. A perfect blend of software/hardware for server uptimes.

They tanked. We couldn't get people to change their business model. Most people were outsourcing their IT already (or had it in-house) and everyone was fine with how things currently worked.

Frankly I think they started the sales process a little late in the game and their value statements were a little underdeveloped for what an awesome product they had but it was easily the hardest sell I've done in my career since it involved a change in operations to fix something that wasn't perceived as a problem with everyone I spoke to.

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
Thanks guys for the replies, I've been doing additional research still. JAJT we would install software or apply a simple open source configuration on the device (SNMP) for management which would do away with needing any hardware on the customers equipment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
I researched the top 20 IT businesses in my local area and all but 3 businesses focused on providing managed services first, consulting second. The business rated #1 was a managed service provider with it's on NOC, that provides consulting on the back end. I'm going to go ahead with this, I can start with a Proof of Concept and get 2-3 companies on board and see where I stand. My goal is to hit this mark by May.

Our IT services will minimize downtime and increase the money in the business owners pocket by not hiring a full time tech. My research showed that on average cost of an IT employee is $400-$500 per device each month. This service will also allow the business to not have to panic, be reactive, and send an S.O.S to the nearest PC shop if they didn't have their own full time employee.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.