- Joined
- Sep 23, 2013
- Messages
- 649
Rep Bank
$1,505
$1,505
User Power: 107%
I used to think of outreach as just a way to hopefully get a guest post in on a high ranking site, or even better if I could just get a link and do zero work while getting all the SEO benefits. EVEN better if I can automate this somehow 
Then I started taking out reach seriously and i'm now connected with all the top industry blogs / websites and the benefits are 100x better than just getting a post/link. (This is something that took months to do)
What I've learned
Quit being completely selfish and looking at outreach as just a potential gain. You're contacting people who are industry leaders and get emails like yours all the time. You also don't truly understand the power they have in helping you out if you can build that connection first. A recent news source started a new series with very high potential in terms of driving traffic to my product and I didn't even have to apply, I emailed my connection and they said yes right away.
Don'ts:
Do:
Looking at how easy it is now to get a guest post or a mention on numerous channels, it feels great. I remember before any of these connections I would stress for days on how to getting a single post in, somewhere, anywhere. Now I can't create solid content fast enough for them to post it.
TL;DR
Take the time and use out reach to build industry connections for your niche/product, the pay off is beyond worth it.
Then I started taking out reach seriously and i'm now connected with all the top industry blogs / websites and the benefits are 100x better than just getting a post/link. (This is something that took months to do)
What I've learned
Quit being completely selfish and looking at outreach as just a potential gain. You're contacting people who are industry leaders and get emails like yours all the time. You also don't truly understand the power they have in helping you out if you can build that connection first. A recent news source started a new series with very high potential in terms of driving traffic to my product and I didn't even have to apply, I emailed my connection and they said yes right away.
Don'ts:
- Don't email them with your already made blog post hoping they'll post it
- Don't pitch them right away (unless you're looking for a one time PR post)
- Don't try to manipulate them in anyway
Do:
- Only ask for a link if it's a list of blogs you're looking to be added too. Here's a secret I don't see anyone talk about that I think I created?: When you see these lists and are about to contact someone to be added to it, use your audience as leverage. My email basically said , hey can you add me to this list ? In return we'll share the post with our audience of over xxxxxx users. It works like a charm.
- Ask if they're accepting guest posts - It's an easy way to start the conversation and a few of my best relationships have started this way.
- If someone helps you out, do something for them. One of the leading bloggers after adding us to a list I sent him a $10 amazon gift card for the help (unexpected). We now talk all the time and I would consider us friends.
- Keep contacting them if they say no. Arguably this may piss some people off but, it's worked for me every time.
- Try different things with different people.
- Tweet them a compliment/share their article with their @name attached first, comment on their articles (giving your opinion on what they wrote or a compliement) . Do this over a week or two AND then email them. <--- my most recent strategy and works 9 times out of 10
Looking at how easy it is now to get a guest post or a mention on numerous channels, it feels great. I remember before any of these connections I would stress for days on how to getting a single post in, somewhere, anywhere. Now I can't create solid content fast enough for them to post it.
TL;DR
Take the time and use out reach to build industry connections for your niche/product, the pay off is beyond worth it.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
