The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Only one life to live - Image from Reddit

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Just found this Picture on Reddit - So many People out there that feel stuck and think they dont have control over own lives. this makes me sad.

lFXPVvtXXv58JqwpH3SRttDlL3KTcXuduxozPdngGfg.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just found this Picture on Reddit - So many People out there that feel stuck and think they dont have control over own lives. this makes me sad.

Most of the folks that like and agree with this meme are the same folks that say my books (and my message) are a scam.

They aren't interested in change, they're interested in confirming their victim identity through shared communal misery.

It's sad.

But the answers are out there. And it's why I keep writing.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
They aren't interested in change, they're interested in confirming their victim identity through shared communal misery.

It's sad.

But the answers are out there. And it's why I keep writing.
Despite being very new to this forum, please allow me to be so bold as to add...that's also why so many of us are here with you MJ. Some of us want to help you in making a difference.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
There is hope for the Reddit poster, they are farther along than most, in that at least they recognize there is a void, most don't even recognize that, there is much hope for the poster actually, they are actually in the 4th stage of depression in the 5 stages of grief, they are unplugging, most get stuck in denial.

Next step is acceptance and making something meaningful out of the reality that is life, if we desire to transcend into something greater spiritually we must go through these stages. The void(really our pre-frontal cortex) must be confronted and while it cannot be ever be conquered it must be recognized it is there and one must be mindful of it, just as if you were locked with a Lion in a cage, you cannot ever really turn your back on it.

We are born with the key to escape our own prison, when we are children we use it often to escape our prison and play outside to our hearts content, eventually though society convinces us that is not wise to use our key because of what others may think and use it less and less, as the years go by we believe hear this and we begin to believe the key is possessed by others/society , but the truth is we hold the key the whole time.

It is never too late to become free.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
It's no coincidence that depression and suicide rates (especially in teen girls) have risen in conjunction with social media.

Social media and Hollywood have severely skewed the minds of most young people. We're unconsciously programmed to expect a happy ending, that once we graduate high school we'll automatically become buff and attractive and all of our "enemies" will be destroyed.

We're the superhero of our own movie, but only an extra in everyone else's.

Not to mention the CONSTANT never-ending stimulus on tap from social media and smartphones. Kids think it's boring to just go outside and play in the dirt...smh

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Or as thoreau put it "lives of quiet desperation"

I wonder how that feeling expresses itself in a culture where endless reincarnation is taken as the basic accepted bigger picture like india?

Actually maybe thats more depressing lol

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
My goal is to make a book discussing how depression isn’t a brain chemical imbalance but it’s bexause your literal god damn soul is being pulled apart by society and outside influences. Once you have your soul intact and firm, life is an endless adventure where your filled with gratitude and joy. I’ve been on two sides of the coin and it is the difference between swimming in a shallow pool with piss and poop and swimming in a clear turquoise water lake filled with surges of waves and currents that makes it a blast to swim while challenging and stimulating. Life is all about perspective.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia

That's sad.

But I bet more people outside will be agreeing with it instead of opposing it.

Post it beside a positive and inspiring message and this will get more likes than the positive one.

Getting and staying positive is hard work and every now and then people fall off the course, some can come back faster than others but sadly, most never comes back at all.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Tough to read.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
So most of the time when I'm doing work I'll have YouTube videos playing with documentaries, music, cooking shows, whatever. One day I went down a rabbit hole and there's a whole subsect/micro-community of millennials called Doomers, 30-Year-Old Boomers, Bloomers, etc.

This looks like a Doomer profile. Basically given up hope on everything and drudges through life loathing everything around them and being a general loser. Sleeping until whenever, have a dead end job, spends the night playing video games alone, going on walks alone smoking ciggys, wearing dark clothing, on the verge of suicide but wont do it because they think no one will go to their funeral.

You watch these videos and read the comments, and it's just depressing.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
This attitude just...infuriates me.

If you think that life is misery and terrible, why not give your free time to a soup kitchen or volunteer somewhere?

"There is no magical third act where I'm the star in some fantasy adventure."

You could be a star (or at least a big character). Give your time to help the homeless, or dogs, or children and you will be one of those saviors.

I'm not even saying "Oh, grind and you can achieve so much."!

If you've already decided that you won't 'achieve' anything in life or that it's impossible to without luck/connections, fine. Since your life is misery and pointless anyway, give it to a cause that helps others.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
I would caution knee jerk judgement on these guys, it's easy to dismiss them as lazy, useless, entitled, etc.

I used to think the same as I moved out of my parents home at 18 to go to university , I had grown up in a very rural area and didn't really have any of the tools to be successful my only advantage was perseverance and luck but mostly not giving up I achieved most my goals at the time against all odds, given I had come to the U.S. at the age of 8 not knowing one F*cking word of English, I slept under a crib as a child as my parents could only afford to heat one room of the trailer house, and we all slept there. This was an upgrade from my home country as we had it even worse there now that I think about it. We were really poor, used to pick up cans for school supplies.

I used to judge these guys also as lazy looking at it from my POV, but now that I have kids I realize it's not really their fault, it's really on the parents. When you grow up without any challenges or suffering you don't learn any perseverance, you don't build any character, you are unwilling to bash your head against the wall to meet your task, you are in an artificial environment a bubble. When these guys get out into their world, they can't find meaning to it because they have been living a big artificial lie and they get into a depressive state. These types of people will only grow in numbers, when you take a look at all the F*cking cupcakes that are being raised any weak parents who don't want them to feel uncomfortable because it "hurts" their self esteem, it's going to be something never before seen in human history.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"There is no magical third act where I'm the star in some fantasy adventure."

That's because Hollywood has trained their minds to think superhero status is an EVENT, not a PROCESS.

Batman became Batman doing a couple of pull-ups in a subterranean cave.
Spiderman became Spiderman getting bit by a spider.
Rey became an all powerful Jedi by finding a lightsaber.

No process, all short events that took hours, at most days.

People aren't willing to endure months or years, but only hours and days.

You could be a star (or at least a big character). Give your time to help the homeless, or dogs, or children and you will be one of those saviors.

+1

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I would caution knee jerk judgement on these guys, it's easy to dismiss them as lazy, useless, entitled, etc.

I used to think the same as I moved out of my parents home at 18 to go to university , I had grown up in a very rural area and didn't really have any of the tools to be successful my only advantage was perseverance and luck but mostly not giving up I achieved most my goals at the time against all odds, given I had come to the U.S. at the age of 8 not knowing one F*cking word of English, I slept under a crib as a child as my parents could only afford to heat one room of the trailer house, and we all slept there. This was an upgrade from my home country as we had it even worse there now that I think about it. We were really poor, used to pick up cans for school supplies.

I used to judge these guys also as lazy looking at it from my POV, but now that I have kids I realize it's not really their fault, it's really on the parents. When you grow up without any challenges or suffering you don't learn any perseverance, you don't build any character, you are unwilling to bash your head against the wall to meet your task, you are in an artificial environment a bubble. When these guys get out into their world, they can't find meaning to it because they have been living a big artificial lie and they get into a depressive state. These types of people will only grow in numbers, when you take a look at all the F*cking cupcakes that are being raised any weak parents who don't want them to feel uncomfortable because it "hurts" their self esteem, it's going to be something never before seen in human history.
I agree 100%.

If there was one thing I could change about my childhood, I would want MORE struggle, MORE challenges, MORE competitiveness. My parents never pushed me to join a sport/club, or to get a car/job. They raised me to be a cupcake.

I suffer from a disease called average...still searching for a cure...

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I agree 100%.

If there was one thing I could change about my childhood, I would want MORE struggle, MORE challenges, MORE competitiveness. My parents never pushed me to join a sport/club, or to get a car/job. They raised me to be a cupcake.

I suffer from a disease called average...still searching for a cure...
I was the opposite. My parents tried to get me to do stuff but I didn't want to. I feel bad because I was being a little s**t and am still kinda am.

I'm a very stubborn individual.

Whenever my parents push me to do something I go against them but if it's something I really want to do then yeah I'll go for it.

I like to do things on my own and figure things out by myself.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I recommended TFM to several of my friends, even went out of my way to personally give a copy to one of them.
None of them bothered opening it yet, despite seeing the kind of changes I went through after reading it and everyone commending me for it.

Maybe once they see my millions and tell me for the millionth time how lucky I was, and me reminding them of the book, they might actually read it.
Maybe.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
I was the opposite. My parents tried to get me to do stuff but I didn't want to. I feel bad because I was being a little s**t and am still kinda am.

I'm a very stubborn individual.

Whenever my parents push me to do something I go against them but if it's something I really want to do then yeah I'll go for it.

I like to do things on my own and figure things out by myself.

My son is extremely stubborn, he is perhaps the most stubborn kid I have met in my life.

It's a balance, I let my son pursue his own interests in half his life, he bothered me for some time to get into Tae-Kwon-Do, I agreed once he was old enough to take it seriously and it's a sizable cost actually/good school/very good instructor. The only condition, he has to give it 150% every single class, and if not he will hear from me, I am not afraid to confront him/get in his face if I see laziness, he is free to drop out at any time if he wishes and he knows so without any judgement from me. He doesn't because he enjoys it, he is 7 years old and has one belt away from a black belt, he can't dominate yet because he is young and going up against bigger kids , but he is the best version of himself at that moment in time. I don't compare him against other kids only against himself and if there is improvement even if only 1% I am satisfied.

On the other side of the coin, there are other things he has to do which he doesn't like to do, vacuumn our cars, wash them, water plants, clean, pull weeds, etc. He sees me do the same so as I never ask him to do something to I wouldn't do, he knows I give it 100% in almost any area of life, he can see with his own eyes, am I the best absolutely not, but I try to improve everyday also. This is hard work to be congruent most of time, kid's know when you are bullshitting them a mile away, you cannot fool them as they observe behavior and not words. If they see you are congruent with what you say and do, they will respect you and listen to you.

He didn't say anything but he was watching me hobble around last night around the house after going for a crazy mountain run and I pulled/hurt a calf muscle. I used to be a big trail runner but haven't run in about a year or so as I have been switched primarily to weightlifting. I am starting again and ran at a trail which I do not have the conditioning for, I completed it anyway at the cost of hurting myself just via willpower. When they see this stuff, they realize you are serious and in return they get serious themselves, knowing you won't put up with cupcake bullshit.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Sad, man.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
That's because Hollywood has trained their minds to think superhero status is an EVENT, not a PROCESS.

Batman became Batman doing a couple of pull-ups in a subterranean cave.
Spiderman became Spiderman getting bit by a spider.
Rey became an all powerful Jedi by finding a lightsaber.

No process, all short events that took hours, at most days.

People aren't willing to endure months or years, but only hours and days.

I don't think Hollywood is to blame. But that Hollywood makes stuff what people want: no process, just events.

Same can probably said about (social) media.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I recommended TFM to several of my friends, even went out of my way to personally give a copy to one of them.
None of them bothered opening it yet, despite seeing the kind of changes I went through after reading it and everyone commending me for it.

Maybe once they see my millions and tell me for the millionth time how lucky I was, and me reminding them of the book, they might actually read it.
Maybe.
Good for you NovaAria and keep at it. Even if only person changes their life because of you - you will have made a difference.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Many years ago I was running through some trails on the island of Guam when I heard a gun shot nearby. I soon found a young man who had committed suicide. That image sticks with me to this day. What if I had just been a little faster or started just a few minutes earlier that day. I wonder if I could have made a difference in that young man's life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.