The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Once again, the workforce did not let me down

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Some might know and others might not but, I've stayed away from hiring anyone because I did my share of being a boss... but... I'm getting lazy-er in my old age and decided to hire someone to paint washers and dryers for me. I use a roller and special paint.... it's easy, nothing to it really, just a time sucker. I have a new tv with 3 million channels, clean work area, will have a/c in a few days, just installed more lights last Sunday, refrigerator full of all kinds of drinks and candy, all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks and gloves they can use.... all someone has to do is show up, sit down and move their arm left to right and then up and down. Pay is $10 an hour for the first 30 days and then if we both agree to go further, $12 an hour for the next 30 days and if we both agree to go further, $15 an hour. After that, the pay could go up to $20 an hour depending how good of a worker and employee you are. It is part time, any 2 days of the week that you want to work. So I spoke with a few people and decided to have 2 people come at 4pm yesterday. I only need 1 person but I 'hired' 2 figuring I might get 1 to show up. Well, the workforce did not let me down.... neither showed up! Tomorrow I'm going to the graveyard to hire someone to do the job, that's how easy it is. I just thought I'd share...... Since I only need 1 person, I think I'm going to make it in to a game for myself :bullseye:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Playing devils advocate here:

You have to figure if $10 an hour is enough to entice a commitment from anyone.

Plus the pay scale wouldn't enthuse me either. I certainly wouldn't want to do a simple task for 60 days with the hope of getting to the giddy heights of $15 a hour. If I could do the job to a high enough standard after a week (while proving I could turn up on time and get the task done) then why would I have to wait 2 months for a $5 pay increase?

Last edited:

Grinder20

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019
Some might know and others might not but, I've stayed away from hiring anyone because I did my share of being a boss... but... I'm getting lazy-er in my old age and decided to hire someone to paint washers and dryers for me. I use a roller and special paint.... it's easy, nothing to it really, just a time sucker. I have a new tv with 3 million channels, clean work area, will have a/c in a few days, just installed more lights last Sunday, refrigerator full of all kinds of drinks and candy, all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks and gloves they can use.... all someone has to do is show up, sit down and move their arm left to right and then up and down. Pay is $10 an hour for the first 30 days and then if we both agree to go further, $12 an hour for the next 30 days and if we both agree to go further, $15 an hour. After that, the pay could go up to $20 an hour depending how good of a worker and employee you are. It is part time, any 2 days of the week that you want to work. So I spoke with a few people and decided to have 2 people come at 4pm yesterday. I only need 1 person but I 'hired' 2 figuring I might get 1 to show up. Well, the workforce did not let me down.... neither showed up! Tomorrow I'm going to the graveyard to hire someone to do the job, that's how easy it is. I just thought I'd share...... Since I only need 1 person, I think I'm going to make it in to a game for myself :bullseye:

@minivanman, , thanks for the laugh :rofl: , I feel your pain! I appreciate the Q2 employment outlook. Let me guess you were paying cash as well? Maybe after 4:20pm would be better;)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I only need 1 person but I 'hired' 2 figuring I might get 1 to show up. Well, the workforce did not let me down.... neither showed up!
Ah man, that cracked me up :D
Sounds like a student job, why not put up some flyers on schools/colleges?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Playing devils advocate here:

You have to figure if $10 an hour is enough to entice a commitment from anyone.

Plus the pay scale wouldn't enthuse me either. I certainly wouldn't want to do a simple task for 60 days with the hope of getting to the giddy heights of $15 a hour. If I could do the job to a high enough standard after a week (while proving I could turn up on time and get the task done) then why would I have to wait 2 months for a $5 pay increase?

I agree with you. If it's an easy simple gig why are you presenting you like it's my way to a happy career or something. Just offer $10/hr. Someone in need of a gig will show up. If nobody shows up try $12-$15. If I decide they are worth keeping I'd just give the raise. It does come up as a bit of a mockery lol

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
seems like you could sell it better. presentation of your predisposition probably doesn't help either.

had the same issues until i took a look in the mirror and then thought about it from their point of view.

for your spot, you should mention the chance to learn business while making money!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
This is why I stopped giving money to people/most organizations. I see people saying all the time that they wish they had a little extra spending money or a little extra money to pay a bill so I thought I'd try to help. Or how about those people that are needing to buy a washer and dryer but say they are broke or a single mom/dad blah blah blah..... Just as before, there are always 30 people that reply within 30 minutes telling you their sob story but when it comes time to work..... sorry, gotta go hang out. That is the part I never get with these people. They beg you to choose them and then never show up.

$10 or $12 or $15 or even $50 an hour would not entice me either but back when I needed money, $5 enticed me. I'm the guy that worked 480+ hours a month at Burger King ($5.15 an hour) so yeah, I did what I needed to do for what ever someone paid. I wasn't picky about the job or the pay. I remember well when I was one of them people..... I would like to not see them as a whole other part of the world but they do it to their self. I guess when I was one of them, I was actually not.....

My neighbor (makes $95 an hour working for someone else at his day J O B) said he would do it but I have a rule that I never do business within 1 mile of my house. He said he loved the pay plan.

My new game is to see if anyone will work for $7.25 an hour. Then I'll try $7.50 and raise it .25c every week.

I guess y'all are correct, I need to treat them like the slaves they are and not offer anything for doing a good job. Sometimes I forget that slaves don't plan for the future.

As far as a career...... why not make it a career? They could start off painting for me, learn the business and be off on their journey of being an entrepreneur. I never said there wasn't room to move up or even be a part of the business or learn their own. $10 was a starting point. $12 was a nudge. $15 was the point where I start asking questions about what their future plans are..... But now, I'm looking to be a slave owner at $7.25 :moneybag:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
But now, I'm looking to be a slave owner at $7.25
Maybe those people didn't believe that they can eventually make $20/h.
You know - they might think that $20/h is just a scam and look for "guaranteed" $7.25.
Just a thought .

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
try this for two weeks .......

offer to help people in business and pay them for their time helping you do appliance related work. they will be helping with appliance business tasks and the sky is the limit. all they have to do is show up and earn while learning. have them email you with what they would like to achieve and what they want to be paid.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Personal opinion after hiring and firing hundreds of people over my career is that entry level employees could give a rats a$$ about a pay raise next week, next month, sometimes let alone next year. They care about current pay right now, hours, benefits (older ones), work environment (can they listen to music, wear what they want, do you provide snacks, etc..)
Pay for work efforts as a bonus will entice the large majority more than anything such as exceed XX units per day or by the end of the month and you will get $100 bonus etc (this will sound a lot more exciting to get $100 or $200 at the end of the month on top of base pay vs if I stay a month I can get more etc...) Obviously this all depends on the exact employee and what they want, but in my experience these things matter more and would possibly be a better way to approach it even if it costs you the same or less than your current plan.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Here's an idea. Why don't you find a local homeschool support group and make it known that this position is available? They'll be all over it.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Here's an idea. Why don't you find a local homeschool support group and make it known that this position is available? They'll be all over it.

Holy cow, this comment gave me like 15 ideas. Thank you.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
This is why I stopped giving money to people/most organizations. I see people saying all the time that they wish they had a little extra spending money or a little extra money to pay a bill so I thought I'd try to help. Or how about those people that are needing to buy a washer and dryer but say they are broke or a single mom/dad blah blah blah..... Just as before, there are always 30 people that reply within 30 minutes telling you their sob story but when it comes time to work..... sorry, gotta go hang out. That is the part I never get with these people. They beg you to choose them and then never show up.

$10 or $12 or $15 or even $50 an hour would not entice me either but back when I needed money, $5 enticed me. I'm the guy that worked 480+ hours a month at Burger King ($5.15 an hour) so yeah, I did what I needed to do for what ever someone paid. I wasn't picky about the job or the pay. I remember well when I was one of them people..... I would like to not see them as a whole other part of the world but they do it to their self. I guess when I was one of them, I was actually not.....

My neighbor (makes $95 an hour working for someone else at his day J O B) said he would do it but I have a rule that I never do business within 1 mile of my house. He said he loved the pay plan.

My new game is to see if anyone will work for $7.25 an hour. Then I'll try $7.50 and raise it .25c every week.

I guess y'all are correct, I need to treat them like the slaves they are and not offer anything for doing a good job. Sometimes I forget that slaves don't plan for the future.

As far as a career...... why not make it a career? They could start off painting for me, learn the business and be off on their journey of being an entrepreneur. I never said there wasn't room to move up or even be a part of the business or learn their own. $10 was a starting point. $12 was a nudge. $15 was the point where I start asking questions about what their future plans are..... But now, I'm looking to be a slave owner at $7.25 :moneybag:

I'm still pretty new to entrepreneurship, so take my view with a grain of salt. I don't even know if you want to hear it.

To me this reaction is exactly what I expected after reading the first post. You are all about 'Me Me Me' and about your own history and how people should be grateful for this 'opportunity'. People don't care that you worked at burger king for 5 dollars, they only care about themselves and what you are offering RIGHT NOW (which was probably not the best option they had at the moment). Not everyone is as hardworking as you and most people are just plain lazy.

You are an example of someone falling in the 'identity trap' from the book How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World. This is natural, but means that you are expecting other people to be like you in terms of values, goals, experiences, preceptions, means of achieving happiness, perceptions and more.

Falling in this trap will only lead to being hurt and becoming angry (as you apparently have). To avoid falling in this trap is to realize that every person is unique and look from their possible perspective for their behaviour.

Becoming angry at human nature and shifting your mind to employees as being 'slaves' just because your expectations were not being met, and you are therefore resentful because of it is also not the right way to move forward.

The truth is that people don't necessarily want to be like you. Which might sound strange because you love yourself and are obviously proud of yourself and your journey to becoming the person you are right now. This probably made you happy. But other people have other motivators, goals, experiences, and maybe want other things that they think make them happy.

I suggest taking a look in the mirror of what exactly you want (expectations), why you want it, and how can you fulfill them. Did you contact the right people at the right place for example?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Was he serious? As in... why would he need to do it if he makes $95 an hour? Because otherwise it's just like asking people "would you buy this" versus asking to get out the wallet and actually buy it.

It's not that, like we said it I feel for someone browsing for opportunities it comes a bit condescending or something. I may need money on the side but if I'm browsing post listings and just already getting a bad vibe I'll pass and leave it as my last option.

As far as a career...... why not make it a career?

I didn't mean it like that; I was referring at the point I'm trying to make on my previous quote response. I realize I'm struggling a bit to express my point in words but... if someone made me that proposition I'd feel they're mocking me, it doesn't sound like a mentorship type of thing or an opportunity where I could learn it just sounds I'd be working for a mean boss that would be like "you're awesome! here's $5 more"... at the end of the day most people think with their wallet and their ego if you put it on those terms. But I feel the ideas above presenting it as the learning opportunity it is in places where there would be demand would totally change the outcome.

We didn't see the ACTUAL posting so we could be judging it wrong too!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Advertised it as soon as I left this site @ $7.25 an hour. A girl wanted to come by, so she did. She also wanted to start yesterday so she did. I'll give her a .10cent raise in 90 days or so.

Cash? Burger King never paid me in cash. I would have thought I was up town getting $100+ more each week!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Advertised it as soon as I left this site @ $7.25 an hour. A girl wanted to come by, so she did. She also wanted to start yesterday so she did. I'll give her a .10cent raise in 90 days or so.

Cash? Burger King never paid me in cash. I would have thought I was up town getting $100+ more each week!

What happened to pay being $10 an hour? 90 days? even
Then I'll try $7.50 and raise it .25c every week.

Why does this person get punished with the low rate because the first two didn't show up, rather than the starting point since she was committed? I thought that aligned with your values.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Duuuuuuuude I wish I could do it but I don’t have time!

Happy you found someone.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

So it seems that you can't pay people MORE then they want.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I tried to get someone for lawn mowing over years. I tried 10,15 and 7 or so Euros. At the end I bought a lawn mowing robot.

Yes, its confusing.

From some friends and entrepreneur s I know, i learned:
they have someone, a bit dump, payed very bad, who allways does these jobs. Payed bad, they do the jobs over years.
Payed good, they go or begin to want more and more, often start to scam the boss.

So, I absolutely don’t like to be a slave owner, but you will have no other choice.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Saw this meme today. Made me think of you.

97cfff4c2b9bf76c3aeb263e4cb66083---hours-the-plant.jpg

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

That's a really f*cked up mindset.

These people aren't your slaves. They're your partners. If they're replacing your time in the business then they're as essential to the business as you are and should be treated as such.

Your approach so far is horrific.

I did some quick searching in your area.

Typed in "painter" since that seemed like it most fit your job description.

Your pay scale is way off. Why would anyone come and work for an a**hole that calls his employees slaves when they can get better money pretty much else?

On top of that: they have to prove themselves for months in order to get pay that they could get anywhere else?

If your business can't afford to hire these people at market rate, then that means that you're running a shitty business and doing nothing but inefficiently trading time for money.

If you can afford to hire these people, then you need to hire them at the rate that the market dictates.

Also think about it. Why do people have jobs instead of pursuing entrepreneurship? The false idea of certainty. "Consistency". They want to be paid a consistent wage, and know that they're consistently getting a fair value for the work that they're putting in.

You're not offering that.

Instead, you're offering a world of uncertainty in exchange for pay that's below market.

If I was you, I'd re-approach this. $12/hour is the minimum hourly rate for full time? Part time, add at least $3/hour. So $15/hour. Ok. That's the bare minimum you need to offer. However, to be competitive, you should offer a dollar or two above market. $17/hour and you'll have a ton of people lining up to do the work for you. Instead of having 2 guys that suck a$$ lining up, you'll have 50 guys that don't suck a$$ applying. Of those 50, you'll find at least 1 that would be amazing at doing the job - and will astonishingly be better than you.

Your hiring failures aren't to blame on the prospective employees. They're to blame on you. Until you realize that, you'll continue "slaving" (as you call it) instead of being the boss.

D

DeletedUser0287

What time period was this? I mean at $5.15 that is pretty much losing money. Not sure, what it cost you to get to Burger King. Gas, time, huge waste. People these days would never lower their standards that low. It just isn't economical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.