The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Offering Copywriting Services For Free?

Idea threads

MalteBlom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 5, 2023
Hello.

I've been working and improving my marketing copywriting as well as recently getting into SEO and website copy.
I won't go any deeper than that since that would be meaningless. My question for the forum is simply:

Should I offer copywriting services for free to acquire knowledge?

Since I have no use for extra money and all my needs are met already, I should be able to work. Just for the experience. But is this the smart thing to do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hello.

I've been working and improving my marketing copywriting as well as recently getting into SEO and website copy.
I won't go any deeper than that since that would be meaningless. My question for the forum is simply:

Since I have no use for extra money and all my needs are met already, I should be able to work. Just for the experience. But is this the smart thing to do?
Honestly no.

Just pretend as if your an expert because otherwise a business has no reason to let you write for them.
On that note, why not start an actual business instead of chasing the copywriting hype. You have literally nothing to offer compared to the 1 million other hobby copywriters that want to "work for free to gain experience".

If you want to gain experience then build a small online thing and see if your copywriting and seo can make you money.
Dropshipping is always a option for a (sometimes expensive) quick learning tool.

MalteBlom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 5, 2023
Honestly no.

Just pretend as if your an expert because otherwise a business has no reason to let you write for them.
On that note, why not start an actual business instead of chasing the copywriting hype. You have literally nothing to offer compared to the 1 million other hobby copywriters that want to "work for free to gain experience".

If you want to gain experience then build a small online thing and see if your copywriting and seo can make you money.
Dropshipping is always a option for a (sometimes expensive) quick learning tool.
Thanks for the reply.

The reason I got into all of this from the beginning was dropshipping and I spent around 5 months creating a bunch of stores, testing numerous products, researching SEO and implementing the factors in my websites as well as some of my freinds. So I have some experience.

What business do wound you recommend me to look into?

I really like the idea of an agency. Something along the lines of offering a service that I'm familiar with (Like SEO or just general Website Copy) and creating a brand through good interactions and results for my clients.

Honestly, I've been too all over the place. I just want to take a deep dive into the cold waters of copywriting and not focus too much on everything else.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
No.

The only context where this would make sense is if you're writing custom samples for the client as you're applying to a copywriting job. But that would ONLY be for the application phase of the job.

While I'm glad you're not hurting for money, what's underneath this question?

Usually it's, "I don't know how to sell my services as a copywriter, but if I reduce the price to free, that should get me some clients."

Here's the problem with that thinking.
  • It makes the assumption that landing a happy client for free will "naturally and effortlessly" open the door to paying clients. It won't. You're just kicking the can down the road. You'll still need to figure out how to sell your services.
  • In addition, you will likely be working with the worst kind of client - the kind who can't pay anyone. These clients tend to be the worst nightmares. They're entitled and they don't have a business model that's earning income.
  • You don't get into a positive feedback loop that comes from working, gaining success, getting paid more, winning more, charging more, learning your craft more, etc etc.
  • Instead, with freebie clients, you almost always get into a negative feedback loop of working more, being harassed for more work, having your work disrespected, not being listened to, having your copy changed by the client in ways that you know will destroy its effectiveness, and overall just having a negative and frustrating experience.

Consider yourself a business owner and carry yourself like one. Use your existing skills and knowledge. Leverage your dropshipping stores as "clients" in your portfolio. Charge for your services.

You've got this!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Hello.

Nothing is as expensive in life as "Free" shit.

Let me explain. I hire consultants (including copywriters) for my businesses. And guess what, the biggest fear is that I hire someone who will "acquire knowledge" based on our engagement.

Either you are good enough to make money or you suck. If you suck, don't waste my time.

"But AF, how else am I supposed to learn?"

If you don't have the answer to that question figured out yet, you have a longer road to success. Get after it.

Hint: what else could you do now that would give you experience? What is the best thing you could do to gain experience?

revampedmkt31

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 12, 2017
North Carolina
No.

Free work takes time, effort, and it's frustrating. I took the "work for free" path years ago & every relationship ended when I demanded payment after the trial was over.

No testimonials.
No referrals (as promised).
No payment (as promised).

Write and build for yourself. You know you're making progress when you make sales off your own products.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.