The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not sure whether to expand again or not

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
Ive got a couple small service businesses in the contracting/construction arena I run with a handful of employees (8 total). One is seasonal so has limited scalability and is ridiculously competitive. The other is scalable but requires large amounts of capital to really become a known brand in my area. Each one of these 2 businesses does about $250K to $300K each. I have the opportunity to buy another service business that comes with employees and it grosses $400K. The owner is in bad health and I think I can grab this for around $30k.

My question is should I keep expanding and buy this business or focus more of my efforts on the 2 businesses I already have. I will say that I run pretty much all of the duties in my 2 businesses as far as sales, estimating, employee management, customer service. Buying this 3rd business might allow me to be able to afford an actual secretary to answer phones and do paperwork.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Can one of your businesses do better than all three business combined?

Yes? then focus on that...

If you're happy running multiple businesses all below their potential then that is also fine. But ultimately if you can make one of the businesses more profitable than all three together it'd be easier to handle and easier to focus your efforts on.

However if the business can be bought and run independently of your time then it might be worth the investment...

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
Can one of your businesses do better than all three business combined?

Yes? then focus on that...

If you're happy running multiple businesses all below their potential then that is also fine. But ultimately if you can make one of the businesses more profitable than all three together it'd be easier to handle and easier to focus your efforts on.

However if the business can be bought and run independently of your time then it might be worth the investment...

Its hard to say if I can. Ive spent almost $20k in the last year marketing one of the businesses. Its very hard to get the phone to ring.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
If you think that 30k can help consolidate some power and help you accelerate your growth, might be a good way forward. How much of a % is that 30k of what you have? Is it a risk you can take/deal with?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.