UpAllNight
PARKED
Hey all,
I'm 25 and just finished reading the book. Great job to the author, by the way. I have largely followed the Slowlane "experts" up until I graduated from college. At that point, in theory, I was supposed to be making lots of money, having lots of free time off, and just in general enjoying life. For the first two years I wanted to believe it, but gradually I saw the truth for what it was. I work an industrial job. The conditions are lousy, the hours are excessively long, the travelling is constant and the work itself alternates between being stressful and dangerous and downright, mind-numbingly boring. I see others my age in this industry who have bought into this fallacy and also those older who have effectively sold their soul to it in my book, and are unhappy but persist nonetheless. In exchange for giving up half of your life, ruining the majority of your relationships, and sacrificing your health you are "rewarded" with the possibility of six and half figures someday, average health insurance, and the "security" of a pension/retirement plan that is always on the rocks.
So for the past year or so I decided to give up on this road to nowhere in the near future, but I really didn't have a clear solution. I started questioning the baby boomer logic that I had been indoctrinated in my whole life. I avoided 401ks and financial advisers, stopped buying equities in favor of hard assets, etc. But really it wasn't until I read the book that the solution became clear, and I am grateful for that. I wish I would have found the book earlier this year, but later is better than never. I'm basically putting myself on a two year plan by which point I'm going to be out of this job and fully committed to something more lucrative and definitely within my control. During my free time now, especially since I've become an insomniac, I'm working heavily on the research aspect of this plan as well as building ancillary skills that will come in handy in some unforeseen way in the future. I've already passed on the copy of the book I read and am trying to "save" as many of my friends that will listen before its too late.
Finally, thanks for creating the forums. I think this was a great idea because it would be so easy to read the book, and even subscribe to its teachings, but just end up feeling completely bewildered and lost and return to the Slowlane. With the forums it seems that there is not only continuing education but also motivation so that the process won't be as easily stalled.
Best Regards,
UpAllNight
I'm 25 and just finished reading the book. Great job to the author, by the way. I have largely followed the Slowlane "experts" up until I graduated from college. At that point, in theory, I was supposed to be making lots of money, having lots of free time off, and just in general enjoying life. For the first two years I wanted to believe it, but gradually I saw the truth for what it was. I work an industrial job. The conditions are lousy, the hours are excessively long, the travelling is constant and the work itself alternates between being stressful and dangerous and downright, mind-numbingly boring. I see others my age in this industry who have bought into this fallacy and also those older who have effectively sold their soul to it in my book, and are unhappy but persist nonetheless. In exchange for giving up half of your life, ruining the majority of your relationships, and sacrificing your health you are "rewarded" with the possibility of six and half figures someday, average health insurance, and the "security" of a pension/retirement plan that is always on the rocks.
So for the past year or so I decided to give up on this road to nowhere in the near future, but I really didn't have a clear solution. I started questioning the baby boomer logic that I had been indoctrinated in my whole life. I avoided 401ks and financial advisers, stopped buying equities in favor of hard assets, etc. But really it wasn't until I read the book that the solution became clear, and I am grateful for that. I wish I would have found the book earlier this year, but later is better than never. I'm basically putting myself on a two year plan by which point I'm going to be out of this job and fully committed to something more lucrative and definitely within my control. During my free time now, especially since I've become an insomniac, I'm working heavily on the research aspect of this plan as well as building ancillary skills that will come in handy in some unforeseen way in the future. I've already passed on the copy of the book I read and am trying to "save" as many of my friends that will listen before its too late.
Finally, thanks for creating the forums. I think this was a great idea because it would be so easy to read the book, and even subscribe to its teachings, but just end up feeling completely bewildered and lost and return to the Slowlane. With the forums it seems that there is not only continuing education but also motivation so that the process won't be as easily stalled.
Best Regards,
UpAllNight
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
