The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help marketing and created my product idea

Marketing, social media, advertising

ParkerCaudell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 8, 2024
Hey, I'm new here. Just read The millionaire fastlane , and I'm 15 years old.

I recently came up with a board game idea. The rules for the game are almost completely developed and a basic prototype has been made. I have also played it with several friends and family and they all seem to enjoy it.

My questions are:

How do I market this? Will people buy board games from ads? Doesn't seem likely to me.

How do I produce this? Obviously I need someone over in China to make all the plastic parts and the box for the game, and I should probably hire someone to design the art elements included. Is this something I need to research on my own or are there main producers that will get the job done that everyone uses?

Is it worth considering giving my idea to a bigger company and taking a percent profit? I've already decided the potential payout is much higher if I an successfully market it myself, but I'm open to suggestions. What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

glitched

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 3, 2024
That's awesome. With the caveat I don't have any experience in this, you could try a kickstarter. Or if you know someone with a 3D printer, you can try making a small number of units and make a Shopify store. Or you can start a Shopify store now with a landing page to get some soft proof? When users click Buy Now or something, you direct them to sign up or you do preorders.

For advertising, if I were to go for it, I feel like YouTube playthroughs is the best form of advertising. Word of mouth is probably the best way for growth. I've bought a lot of board games and the only ones I've bought were ones that were recommended by friends. Ranking up on somewhere like boardgamegeek is probably a good move too.

ParkerCaudell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 8, 2024
That's awesome. With the caveat I don't have any experience in this, you could try a kickstarter. Or if you know someone with a 3D printer, you can try making a small number of units and make a Shopify store. Or you can start a Shopify store now with a landing page to get some soft proof? When users click Buy Now or something, you direct them to sign up or you do preorders.

For advertising, if I were to go for it, I feel like YouTube playthroughs is the best form of advertising. Word of mouth is probably the best way for growth. I've bought a lot of board games and the only ones I've bought were ones that were recommended by friends. Ranking up on somewhere like boardgamegeek is probably a good move too.
Ok thanks, I will keep this in mind.

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Hey, I'm new here. Just read The millionaire fastlane , and I'm 15 years old.

I recently came up with a board game idea. The rules for the game are almost completely developed and a basic prototype has been made. I have also played it with several friends and family and they all seem to enjoy it.

My questions are:

How do I market this? Will people buy board games from ads? Doesn't seem likely to me.

How do I produce this? Obviously I need someone over in China to make all the plastic parts and the box for the game, and I should probably hire someone to design the art elements included. Is this something I need to research on my own or are there main producers that will get the job done that everyone uses?

Is it worth considering giving my idea to a bigger company and taking a percent profit? I've already decided the potential payout is much higher if I an successfully market it myself, but I'm open to suggestions. What are your thoughts?
Hi, ParkerCaudeli, welcome to the forum!

It's amazing that you are already creating something at such a young age! In order to avoid investing time on something that you are not sure will succeed, test it as quickly as you can and do it as simple as you can.

Try to show your board game to more people, find a local club of game developers or board game players and let them play it. Basically all you need to do is figure out who would be the people that would love be interested to play your game (your target audience), then find out where you can meet them and then let them try it and hear what they have to say about it, maybe one of them will already have some experience with board game development and will be able to help you out with developing an actual version of the game.

There is no need to overcomplicate everything for now with making an actual plastic version with parts from China, start as simple as you can.

Most importantly, remember not to give up. Don't give up the idea until you are sure that it will not succeed, find people that will play it, show it to your classmates, try to get some help from your school or parents, figure out a way to get to people and then once enough people will have given you their reviews, you will be able to clearly tell whether it's worth to continue this idea or not.

Good luck with your game and your other goals!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.