The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Fitness Advice? I'd love to help!

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
King's Lynn, United Kingdom.
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the forum - this is my first post.

My name's Simon, I'm 26 and I'm from the U.K.

Absolutely loved the Millionaire Fastlane and it has completely changed my viewpoint - I now feel like I had the knowledge to achieve what I want - rather than relying on typical "slowlane" philosophies.

This post is just to let anyone who's looking to get into better shape know that I'd love to help them!

I write a fitness blog www.myfitnessgoal.com and would be delighted to answer any questions on general fitness and weight lifting in particular.

I'm especially adept at Chin-Ups and Pull-Ups if anyone has any questions about becoming more proficient at these movements!

Anyway, if anyone is interested have a quick look or send me a PM :)

Cheers,

Simon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
hey Simon, thanks for this thread.
Here's my current situation: I've been going to gym in the last 4.5 months and so far I have some decent results but not as much as I expected. Nonetheless I'm never going to stop it :)
My initial goal was to remove/lower belly fat since being a programmer and most of the time working on my laptop, I had started to have a little bit of it.
Do you have experience with that? And if yes, what kind of foods/exercises would you recommend for quicker,most effective results?
Also what kind of exercises would you recommend to develop bigger arms?

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
hey!

Definitely keep going, consistency is the most important thing bar none. I had many months where I thought nothing was going to happen.. ever.. but it does eventually - just keep cracking on!

In terms of losing fat/gaining muscle you'll have to attack each separately mate - once past the beginner stage it's incredibly hard to achieve notable results in either when you're attempting both.

I'd concentrate on losing the fat first before aiming to build a solid base of muscle.

Best bet in the gym is to stick to compound movements: Squats, Deadlifts, Chinups, Bench Press, Push Press (Shoulder Press).

Aim for a full-body workout each time you hit the gym and do around 3 sets of each movement. Squats and Deadlifts should get the most of your attention (most bang for your buck).

The exercises you do should NOT change regardless of whether your goal is fat loss or muscle gain. The only variable that dictates either is your calorie intake. You'll burn the most fat and preserve the muscle you have in a fat loss period if you lift frequently.

Food wise? It's all calories. Calories in vs calories out. Don't fret too much about food choices when weight loss is your greatest concern.

Download myfitnesspal app for your phone and log your calories, find your maintenance and remove or add calories for fat loss/muscle gain.

Actually I've wrote a quick post on that, have a look:

http://myfitnessgoal.com/fat-loss-weight-loss-tips/

B
igger arms is a difficult one. Everyone is different. I struggled to build my arms up initially as my body is predisposed to developing a bigger torso (chest, back) than arms. Strict chinups are certainly good for biceps development and to be quite honest the pressing (bench & shoulder) will provide enough stimulus to your triceps to encourage them to grow!

Best thing to do is develop a muscular foundation for the first year or so and then analyse where you think you have weak points. My arms were a weak point after a couple of years of training so I remedied this by focusing on them thereafter.

Hope this helped!

Simon

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Definitely keep going, consistency is the most important thing bar none. I had many months where I thought nothing was going to happen.. ever.. but it does eventually - just keep cracking on!
thanks for the long & detailed response, definitely helps. I also took a look & bookmarked your website. You're off to a great start there and getting rid of misinformation is a big enough goal to keep going. I think nowadays most people get easily confused by 17404893 fitness products, each saying different things in order to sell. Fitness should be simple :)

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
No problem!

That's the idea - Simple Fitness.

As I mentioned above, the most important thing is consistency - If you're doing this naturally, it's going to take years to get to where you want to be.

As ever, the journey is the most important bit though :)

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :)

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Hi Simon, your just the right person I want to ask about pull-ups and chin-ups. I do alot of brazilian jiu jitsu so I use alot of pulling and pushing motion. Right now im having a hard time doing doing pull-ups, any advice you can give me how to be proficient. I could probably do about 2 sets 5 reps and thats pretty much it lolz. I've been stuck at 5 forever haha. Thanks in advance:)

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
Hey,

So you're stuck at 5 reps for 2 sets?

Just a few questions first:

How often do you train the movement?

What is a typical routine you use when doing chinups? (e.g. how many sets, how close to failure are you going on each set?)

Are you doing chin-ups or pull-ups? Or a mixture of both?

Are you currently gaining weight, losing weight or maintaining your current weight?

Get me back to me when you can!

Cheers,

Simon

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the quick response, so in terms of my routine when it comes pull-ups and chin-ups I try to them every couple days with a day rest in between, so maybe 3 times a week. For some reason I'm able to do more chin-ups than pull-ups . In term of my weight im actually trying to lose and ive been doing a good job at it the past couple months with wrestling. I think alot of my weight came when I took a year off wrestling and jiu jitsu. Anyways I don't really have a set routine I just do it whenever I feel like it lolz sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Marvin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 4, 2014
To the poster above, you do more pull-ups by doing more pull-ups, literally. I started out not being able to do 1, and now do them weighted fairly easily. Do them more often and/or do them weighted and gradually add weight. It's a extremely helpful movement and I love doing them.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I like to think of myself as quite knowledgeable in this area but I'll bounce a couple questions off you to see what your opinion is.

I've always had slower mass gains than many people I see. Although my lifts go up and I did put on some weight, but am always in search of more mass. Do you think I'll see a substantial increase in mass by upping my whey protein intake about 50 grams a day through supplementation?

Also, any tips for chest mass besides the old hit it from all angles, yada yada. Anything that that wouldn't be obvious to any regular lifter?

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the advice! It makes perfect sense :) just got to keep doing them. Imma try adding weights as soon as i get a chance. Thx

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I'm looking to bulk as well as increase my strength. The only thing I am currently doing is crossfit. I've been told I just need to eat more in order to bulk (clean eating) and strength will come with time. What are your thoughts.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I'm looking to bulk as well as increase my strength. The only thing I am currently doing is crossfit. I've been told I just need to eat more in order to bulk (clean eating) and strength will come with time. What are your thoughts.
If you want to bulk and get stronger crossfit may not be your best choice. Crossfit is alot of cardio with your lifting. If your main goal is strength and size you want to be lifting heavy (4-8 reps) and eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Make sure to incorporate many heavy compound lifts too, I'm sure you are aware of many of these from your crossfit experience.

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
Crownnbjj

Like the other guys said doing more pullups will certainly help. I'd initially start at doing the movement every 2-3 days depending on how hard you hit the movement the previous time - If you feel tired and sore then give your body an extra day of rest, if you feel great then go ahead and do more!

Once you get to 10-12 reps I'd add additional weight to the movement - this is easiest through a dipping belt.

Pullups/Chinups are one of those strange exercises where if you're cutting (losing weight) you get better at them. You should be able to increase your performance just by attempting them more frequently and with a bit of intelligence (i.e. don't kill yourself in the gym on Monday and then kill yourself again on Wednesday... and then again on Friday. Be consistent.)

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
NMatt

How much protein are you currently consuming? It entirely depends on how much you're current eating and whether additional protein is needed. It could be that you'd get better results by adding more fat or carbohydrate instead.

Do you know what your current calorie intake and macros are? i.e how much protein/fat/carbs you're currently eating?

Chest wise - How much do you bench? Concentrate on upping your bench press using proper technique and you'll get all the chest work you'll ever need to be quite honest :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.