The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need a little help executing on a "Marketplace" website idea

Idea threads

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Good morning! So I've developed what I think is a solid idea that fills a substantial need. I'd like to have a marketplace website to facilitate interaction between sellers and corporate buyers. I have a couple of ideas in my mind about how best to build the website from scratch, but I wanted to tap the nearly limitless knowledge contained in these forums to help steer my path toward success rather than failure (though I will accept failure if it comes, and step on its head and continue toward success!).

Does anyone know if there are open-source or purchasable marketplace softwares? The user experience I want to create is that either a corporate purchaser or an individual seller logs in and posts either a requisition for items to buy (that the individual sellers can fill) or to post stock from the individual sellers storeroom. I'm hesitant to share the actual idea, so I'm sorry if me dodging around it is making it difficult to understand.

I'm not sure these needs an actual marketplace, but I want the corporate users to be able to browse through all of the available stock, which may be redundant between different sellers, and decide which price and quantity to buy from each individual. Here's a use case scenario:

Corporate Purchaser = CP
Individual Seller 1 = IS1
" " 2 = IS2

Item A = A
Item B = B
Item C = C

CP needs to purchase 20,000 units of A, and 500 units of B. CP browses through the available listings and sees that IS1 has 100,000 units of A listed at $2.30/lb and that IS2 has 10,000 units of A listed at $1/lb. CP decides to purchase all of IS2's stock and 10,000 of IS1's stock, thus filling their requirement of 20,000 units. CP doesn't see any individual sellers listing B, so CP posts a requisition order for 50,000 units of B that is visible to all individual sellers. Individual sellers can find/produce the stock needed and claim part of the requisition order. Alternatively, if IS1 or IS2 have any C, they can post their own stock indication on the listing section, saying that they have 200,000 C at $150/lb, which is visible to all corporate purchasers.

So I don't know if I should just code a "flat" listing page and just need to engineer the transaction/money exchange section, or if there is an easier/cheaper solution.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aznric3boi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 24, 2013
Good morning! So I've developed what I think is a solid idea that fills a substantial need. I'd like to have a marketplace website to facilitate interaction between sellers and corporate buyers. I have a couple of ideas in my mind about how best to build the website from scratch, but I wanted to tap the nearly limitless knowledge contained in these forums to help steer my path toward success rather than failure (though I will accept failure if it comes, and step on its head and continue toward success!).

Does anyone know if there are open-source or purchasable marketplace softwares? The user experience I want to create is that either a corporate purchaser or an individual seller logs in and posts either a requisition for items to buy (that the individual sellers can fill) or to post stock from the individual sellers storeroom. I'm hesitant to share the actual idea, so I'm sorry if me dodging around it is making it difficult to understand.

I'm not sure these needs an actual marketplace, but I want the corporate users to be able to browse through all of the available stock, which may be redundant between different sellers, and decide which price and quantity to buy from each individual. Here's a use case scenario:

Corporate Purchaser = CP
Individual Seller 1 = IS1
" " 2 = IS2

Item A = A
Item B = B
Item C = C

CP needs to purchase 20,000 units of A, and 500 units of B. CP browses through the available listings and sees that IS1 has 100,000 units of A listed at $2.30/lb and that IS2 has 10,000 units of A listed at $1/lb. CP decides to purchase all of IS2's stock and 10,000 of IS1's stock, thus filling their requirement of 20,000 units. CP doesn't see any individual sellers listing B, so CP posts a requisition order for 50,000 units of B that is visible to all individual sellers. Individual sellers can find/produce the stock needed and claim part of the requisition order. Alternatively, if IS1 or IS2 have any C, they can post their own stock indication on the listing section, saying that they have 200,000 C at $150/lb, which is visible to all corporate purchasers.

So I don't know if I should just code a "flat" listing page and just need to engineer the transaction/money exchange section, or if there is an easier/cheaper solution.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Sound like Alibaba.com ..?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!