The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My top 10 limiting beliefs and my realizations about them.

Anything related to matters of the mind

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I originally posted this in my blog, but I'm sure that someone could get some value out of it and it would probably stir up some discussion.

------------------

I did a lot of releasing on my beliefs and my hidden fears about money. By using EFT and the Sedona Method combined, I was able to address some of my limiting beliefs that would have doomed me to failure before I even started.

These are the top 10 limiting beliefs that I had about money and how I came to further realizations about them.

------------

1. "I'm too young to make money"

These are all the beliefs that were attached with this one. I wrote them down so that I could release on them.

-In order to make money, I have to go through the rat race
-Making money is a struggle
-My rites of passage comes through age
-I don't want to stick out by being young and with a lot of money.
- I want to be "normal" like everyone else
- I don't want to be a "showoff" or a "superstar"

-----------

I resolved these by tapping and releasing and eventually, I came up with these empowering beliefs. These just happened to "arise" whenever I let go of the limitation.

- I am at the perfect age to make money
- I have no debt
- I have no liabilities
- I have the energy, the drive, the passion, and the ambition to get where I want to be

------------

2. "I have to give up too much in order to make money"

This was actually one of the most limiting of beliefs that I had. I felt that by making money and even in the process of making it, I'd have to give up my friends, family, fun, passions, and doing what I love to do. The pain of giving up what I already had was crippling my efforts.

As I let go, I realized the following beliefs:

- I was born to be rich
- I was born to be financially free and live in abundance
- I CHOOSE to be rich
- *It's only my CHOICES that determine where I get*
- I can choose to be rich or I can choose to be poor
- **I'd much rather be rich than live the life that I'm currently living** (Plus, even if I were to "lose" something, I could buy it back, lol!)

This is something that I know I'll face. There are times when I'll make sacrifices. But I remember the quote: "The Fastlane process demands sacrifices that few will ever make, to live a life that few will ever live". This came to mind. It's really my choice whether or not I want to be rich.

-----------

3. "I'm too lazy to make money"

This is something I've dealt with for the longest time.

- This is too hard and I'm too lazy
- I'm always aiming for the "perfect record"
- I'm never wanting to strikout (fail), so I'm not even taking a chance.
- I need oneness/perfection
- I'm wanting to control the process through perfection
- I don't want to follow my to-do lists**

As I released, some of these realizations came to mind:

- I'm already making the right choices now.
- "To change your life, you must change your choices in thought and action"
- I pictured myself playing baseball and swinging the bat. If I never swing, I'll never hit a home run.

-------------

4. "It's too hard to make money"

- If it were easy, I would have done it already

That was the main reason I had about that belief, but I realized that I was looking at wealth in a linear 1 dimension. I was looking at the EVENT of time: "So and so gets 600 million in an IPO". I wasn't actually seeing the process BEHIND the events.

- Remember: this is a PROCESS, not an event
- Learning Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement was a PROCESS, not an event.
- Let go of wanting to speed up and control the process.
- *I can't "blame the road" for being the way it is; that's futile and it won't get me where I want to get*
- I can either follow the road or not. It's my choice.

---------------

5. "I'm not worthy enough for money"

There have been multiple events in my life where I didn't feel worthy for others to give me money or to spend money on me. I realized that this was just me looking for approval and love, so I released on this.

Realization: I can just allow money and love to flow through my life when people want to give me money or love.

----------------

6. "I'm not financially disciplined enough"

This was just codeword for, "I don't trust myself with money because it always slips out of my hands". I realized that I was blaming external circumstances and events. "Oh, I wanted XXX and FFF, so that's why I spent money on it".

With every dollar that I have, I have the CHOICE of what I want to do with it.

- It's a choice...only a choice.

----------------

7. "I need money to make money"

This is probably the biggest limiting belief that I had and it's really the most detrimental to my success. I keep thinking that I need thousands to fund my big idea. I always keep thinking that I need MORE than I already have.

"everything costs something" kept popping up in my mind, so I released on that.

I realized this:

- I have enough to get started. I only need that for now.
- I'll make do with what I have
- I'll use what I've got to make more

If I ever have to deal with this, I'll just remember that I have CHOICE. I can choose to sit and despair about my situation, or I can actually DO SOMETHING about it. Lack of money never held anybody back who really wanted to do something. Plus, I'm sure I could always get a loan from somewhere if I needed it.

----------------

8. "I don't want to limit myself, so I'm not going to choose"

This was just codeword for "I'm indecisive, so I'm going to let others choose where I want to end up". I realized if I don't know where I'm going, then any road can get me there.

- If I make the right choices, I'll get to where I want to be
- If I take the right action, I'm being who I'm meant to be
- **My desires have been speaking to me for the longest time. I see them in those beautiful tall redheads on the street, every motorcycle, every Escalade, every mention of the word "Spain", everytime I hear the Spanish language being spoken. I KNOW what my desires are already, so it's just a matter of me accepting them and CHOOSING whether or not I want to follow through on them.
- I already know what I want, just accept and choose to take action or not.

------------------

9. " I'm not going to follow through and take right action"

This was the biggest one that I dealt with because I have been using the excuse that "I've never succeeded and I always let opportunity slip out of my hands".

I realized the following:

- I'm living in denial
- I'm being blind to choice
- I'm not seeing the choice that I have in EVERY situation
- "Would I rather live in this hell or in paradise?" - I seriously had to face the reality of that question. I realized that I'm ALWAYS trying to change the "hell" that I'm living in, and it has NEVER worked. I can either change ballparks or play by the rules of the current one I'm in.
- Then I asked, "Can I stop trying to change this hell?" and I released on that.
- I tapped on: Resisting full responsibility.

For the longest time, I've been trying to shift responsibility away from myself onto others. I've been blaming others for my shortcomings when I've ALWAYS had the choice whether or not I wanted to succeed or not.

---------------------

10. "Money will make me more depressed and less happy than I already am"

This was an interesting belief. Whenever I see that money has made celebrities do crazy shit, torn lottery winner families to shreds and done awful things, I realize that *money in itself* doesn't actually do ANY of this. It's the people who have the money.

I think this was addressed in the book, but it goes along the lines of "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Realization: MONEY IS WHAT IT IS. I ALWAYS HAVE CHOICE.

---------------------

So far, it seems that I've been able to make progress on letting go of these beliefs. Beliefs are just beliefs and I ALWAYS HAVE CHOICE.

I think that was the most important thing for me. I just had to realize that I ALWAYS HAVE CHOICE of what I want to do. If I feel like there is no choice, then I just have to let go of whatever is blocking my mind.

Taking a break, then headed onto my next action step.

-AR

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Great post! You've covered pretty much every major point except for what I believe to be the most important:

Fear of public humiliation

The problematic thinking:

What will my friends and family think of me if I fail at my business? I will never be able to live it down. Every time I see them they'll see me as a failure, and they won't take any future ventures by me seriously.

The solution:

Keep in mind that your family and friends will discourage you from trying to set out to do great things because of two main reasons:

1) They're trying to shield you from the pain of failure, both financial and emotional. They'd rather you take the "safer" route of getting a 9-5 job and being a wage slave for the rest of your life.

2) They're secretly fearful that you'll succeed, and then you will become the most important member of your family and social circle. Your family and friends will look upon you with awe and also resent your success.

Every great entrepreneur had to deal with this issue. Walt Disney's wife constantly argued with him about his decisions and told him that he was going to fail. How do you think Bill Gates' parents must have felt when he decided to drop out of college? I doubt they were jumping for joy. The point is that our family and friends will never believe that we can accomplish great things until we prove it to them, and even after we prove it to them they will hate us for it because of jealousy. Do what makes you happy and forget about what other people think about you.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
A very good post. Well done! Thank you for sharing.

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Great post! You've covered pretty much every major point except for what I believe to be the most important:

Fear of public humiliation

The problematic thinking:

What will my friends and family think of me if I fail at my business? I will never be able to live it down. Every time I see them they'll see me as a failure, and they won't take any future ventures by me seriously.

The solution:

Keep in mind that your family and friends will discourage you from trying to set out to do great things because of two main reasons:

1) They're trying to shield you from the pain of failure, both financial and emotional. They'd rather you take the "safer" route of getting a 9-5 job and being a wage slave for the rest of your life.

2) They're secretly fearful that you'll succeed, and then you will become the most important member of your family and social circle. Your family and friends will look upon you with awe and also resent your success.

Every great entrepreneur had to deal with this issue. Walt Disney's wife constantly argued with him about his decisions and told him that he was going to fail. How do you think Bill Gates' parents must have felt when he decided to drop out of college? I doubt they were jumping for joy. The point is that our family and friends will never believe that we can accomplish great things until we prove it to them, and even after we prove it to them they will hate us for it because of jealousy. Do what makes you happy and forget about what other people think about you.

Surprisingly, I wrote about 75+ limiting beliefs that I had about money, and this wasn't a single one of them. Obviously, I just listed the top ten, but the Fear of Public Humiliation isn't even one of them. It's not that I'm impervious to all social criticism, but it's just that I've learned "not to give a F*ck what other people think about me".

I won't say that this goes for everyone else, but hopefully, a little bit of my background will shed some light on this. It may further explain my mindset and help some other people who read this in the future:

Before I dropped out of college, I used to care what other people thought about me. I used to worry about what other people thought about me, my business ideas, and my dreams. I remember that I was contemplating the idea of leaving college and I confided in my ideas to other people.

When I said, "Yeah...I'm not sure this whole college thing is for me..." I heard crazy replies like, "WHAT? OMG? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SURVIVE?? YOU NEED A JOB?? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH A COLLEGE DEGREE??" And in that time period (over a couple of months), I realized just how indoctrinated we are that "schooling" is the answer to everything.

That made me open my eyes and realize: "Hey Alex....holy shit...these people might actually be wrong when it comes to money". I realized that they may also be wrong when it comes to alot of other stuff, but I digress....

---------

If anyone ever has to deal with this fear, then this is my personal experience on it:

I have a soul conviction that whatever I put myself 100% to, I'll succeed at. I left college because I realized that in 4 years, I could become a millionaire (at the very least), not some some 20k/year corporate bitch in a cubicle with 80K in student debts.

After hearing so many f*cked up beliefs about college and education from people, I quickly understood this: I MUST stick to my deepest convictions no matter what other people are saying. Mentors, friends, family, lovers, teachers, etc. I have to learn to THINK FOR MYSELF.

The only times I've been seriously burned in life are the times that I haven't truly thought for myself. Whenever I've followed the dreams of others. Whenever I've lived a life that wasn't my own.

Right now, I'm on my path, and I'm on my path pretty hard. I've fallen on and off it it seems pretty much every day. But I keep getting driven by a dream for a better life for myself.

I think that every person on this earth has that dream and it's a matter of sticking to it 100% no matter what. Yes, ideas need to be flexible, but the desire to "be who you're meant to be" should NEVER be sacrificed.

How does this come into play with public humiliation?

If you're 100% convinced somewhere that you can do it. Then the squabbles of others are going to sounds like the wind blowing through the trees. It's not going to affect you. In fact, right now...I know that I'm on the right track because I'm getting the squabblers in my grill.

If squabblers are up in your grill, you're probably on the right track.

Most people only squabble so that they can reaffirm their own beliefs, prove that they were "right", and get back to living their lives in denial and non-acceptance.

In other words, if anyone is out there and worried about the fear of public humiliation:

Don't give a F*ck about what other people think. It's your right to be who you want to be and no one can tell you other wise. It's your own right to do what you want to do.

If you know what you're worth, then go and get what you're worth. You've gotta be willing to take the hits, but that's how winning is done. It's not about how many times you get hit. It's about how many times you can GET hit and KEEP moving forward, how much you can TAKE and keep moving forward.

Feeling a little inspired today....hmmmm....

----------------

Fear of success was another one on the list, but for a different reason though. I'm sure I'll probably right about that tomorrow.

Cheers.

-AR

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Bump, some good stuff in here. But it is important to remember to always ask. "Ok, now that i understood this, what am I going to DO?" and then start with step 1 and see how it goes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.