The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My side project is trashing my reputation

Marketing, social media, advertising

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I made a little dating app for a super conservative religious group. As you might imagine, it did not end well. It's received bad reviews and the top review with 21 upvotes falsely accuses the app of stealing people's data.

I also have good reviews which are also more recent but the negative reviews get more upvotes so they're shown first.

Would it be a bad idea to just delete this app and start again with a new one? With a fresh start there are things that I would do differently which I think would really help but I don't want to be shady.

I've done shady things in my life (i.e selling pirated ebooks for a class, pumped up my other app with good fake reviews, cheating on exams when I know I can get away with it) and I've always regretted them. I want to operate with integrity or not operate at all. Am I being naive? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon79341

Would it be a bad idea to just delete this app and start again with a new one? With a fresh start there are things that I would do differently which I think would really help but I don't want to be shady.

I've done shady things in my life (i.e selling pirated ebooks for a class, pumped up my other app with good fake reviews, cheating on exams when I know I can get away with it) and I've always regretted them. I want to operate with integrity or not operate at all. Am I being naive? I'd appreciate any thoughts.
I dont think starting a new one is a bad thing if the reputation has gone wrong and is not your fault. You also have the option to make it succeed anyway (it may be difficult), but if you think a new start could help to reinvent it I would go with that option.

p.s. I don't know if there is a regulation that prohibits it, correct me if im wrong

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I made a little dating app for a super conservative religious group. As you might imagine, it did not end well. It's received bad reviews and the top review with 21 upvotes falsely accuses the app of stealing people's data.

I also have good reviews which are also more recent but the negative reviews get more upvotes so they're shown first.

Complete rebrand, new company name, up front privacy notices, and a transparent does not seem shady to me. If you mention the old product at all mention the lessons learned and desire to do it right this time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.