The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My journey to financial freedom

A post of a ranting nature...

ReubenWh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 20, 2023
My exams have just finished and as a 16 year old entrepreneurship has always been my dream, however it got compressed and squashed when i was younger as i was told to settle for a job, now i have understood this lie my passion for freedom id greater than ever and it is probably too large for me to even handle as any online business venture that i have tried to do, hasn't exactly worked as quickly as i thought it would, and i was clearly too uneducated about business in general, despite reading lots of books.

My problem is I think too much and I think that I overcomplicate business and selling products or it is just genuinely difficult as an under 18. I wanted to immediately go into selling products rather than trading time for a service but i am wondering if this is the best place to start as a product often takes investment as well as time and it is not a guarantee it will sell. Bit of a rant but it does seem like things are against me when everyone around me is telling me to do the common university, debt, job path

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DoWhatWorks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Apr 19, 2023
First of all - the fact you're on a site like this at 16 is incredible! All I cared about then was house parties.

entrepreneurship has always been my dream, however it got compressed and squashed when i was younger as i was told to settle for a job,

It will only be compressed if you let it. This is a choice you make, never forget that.

online business venture that i have tried to do, hasn't exactly worked as quickly as i thought it would

Everyone's felt like this before. Those who end up being successful keep pushing on.
I wanted to immediately go into selling products rather than trading time for a service but i am wondering if this is the best place to start as a product often takes investment as well as time and it is not a guarantee it will sell

As someone who previously had the same mentality, I'd recommend you go into services. It's the most fail proof because all you do is spend your time with no money at risk. Had I chosen services at 16 I'd probably be semi-retired by now.

In general for young people starting out I'd always say:

1. Learn a high-value skill for free on Youtube ( E.g. Video editing, website creating, online advertising)

2. Build a portfolio that shows off your newly learnt skill

3. Talk to loads (100 minimum -1,000) small businesses in your area and offer them the service and show your portfolio

4. Rince and repeat steps 2-3 until you make money

Any thing you don't know how to do, you Google it when you get there. Don't think about future issues just focus on solving the problem right in front of you again and again... That's how you win.

Good luck!

P.S Unlike a lot of people I'm not against college/university. I personally got a free scholarship in business management. So searching for scholarships may be a way of finding out what options are out there. Debt is the issue not necessarily the education.

P.P.S I hardly used my degree though lol, was more helpful in helping me navigate a decent paying career that funds my side business until it becomes full time.

Josuee

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 9, 2023
My exams have just finished and as a 16 year old entrepreneurship has always been my dream, however it got compressed and squashed when i was younger as i was told to settle for a job, now i have understood this lie my passion for freedom id greater than ever and it is probably too large for me to even handle as any online business venture that i have tried to do, hasn't exactly worked as quickly as i thought it would, and i was clearly too uneducated about business in general, despite reading lots of books.

My problem is I think too much and I think that I overcomplicate business and selling products or it is just genuinely difficult as an under 18. I wanted to immediately go into selling products rather than trading time for a service but i am wondering if this is the best place to start as a product often takes investment as well as time and it is not a guarantee it will sell. Bit of a rant but it does seem like things are against me when everyone around me is telling me to do the common university, debt, job path
Hey man! I’m also a young 16 year old entrepreneur . Im actually surprised there’s young kings like you aspiring to be different: following an un paved path in life and adding value to this amazing world.
A lot of people will try to kill your dreams since they’ve already killed their own. I personally believe in visualizing and thinking about what my future will look like if I followed the path of the 1% instead of the 99%.
I’m proud that you’re still holding strong. I’m proud of you brah keep dreaming big.

In general for young people starting out I'd always say:
Also shout to this man for helping the young kings out there

KojoBarfour

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 4, 2023
Accra, Ghana

Hey.
I'm 17 and I also have the same perspective on life as you do. I am in secondary school now and am trying to get ideas for a way to start a business that will add value to people's lives right away. Great to know there are more people like myself interested in this cause.
Good luck
I think the advice from the second post works really well. Take things one at a time, from the books I've read, well, that's how entrepreneurship works

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...