Hey everyone...
I'm over 50, so I've had a lot of time to do things wrong. I'm not destitute and have done a few things right... but, mostly wrong... so if anyone needs advice on that, let me know.
I started in the military (Navy) because I saw that as a decent way to get some technical education and experience without racking up debt. I was a Reactor Operator on submarines... did that gig for 11 years, then had my fill and jumped ship.
I transitioned from Nuclear Power to Software Engineering (mostly self-taught). Wrote a book on software engineering. Got hired by a small, niche, but internationally admired (within the niche) software company. Eventually advanced to President. I made a solid 6 figure income at that point. Said company was a subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar casino software and slot machine company and even though we were profitable they eventually decided to shut us down and mine our talent. I worked in management for the larger company for some time... some software work and some intellectual property work (I've got 18 US patents to my name and numerous related international patents so far, so I guess I can bring creativity when I need to). After 17 years working for the subsidiary and the parent company, they decided I was too expensive and they showed me the door.
Wanting to go into business for "myself," I bought a franchise. It's doing alright... but it's not Fastlane. I'm putting a LOT of hours into it - and if I stopped, the business (and income) would stop.
I need to find a Fastlane.
I'm currently leaning towards something software-related since I already have significant skill in that area, but looking in other areas too (briefly) before I take the plunge.
I'm over 50, so I've had a lot of time to do things wrong. I'm not destitute and have done a few things right... but, mostly wrong... so if anyone needs advice on that, let me know.
I started in the military (Navy) because I saw that as a decent way to get some technical education and experience without racking up debt. I was a Reactor Operator on submarines... did that gig for 11 years, then had my fill and jumped ship.
I transitioned from Nuclear Power to Software Engineering (mostly self-taught). Wrote a book on software engineering. Got hired by a small, niche, but internationally admired (within the niche) software company. Eventually advanced to President. I made a solid 6 figure income at that point. Said company was a subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar casino software and slot machine company and even though we were profitable they eventually decided to shut us down and mine our talent. I worked in management for the larger company for some time... some software work and some intellectual property work (I've got 18 US patents to my name and numerous related international patents so far, so I guess I can bring creativity when I need to). After 17 years working for the subsidiary and the parent company, they decided I was too expensive and they showed me the door.
Wanting to go into business for "myself," I bought a franchise. It's doing alright... but it's not Fastlane. I'm putting a LOT of hours into it - and if I stopped, the business (and income) would stop.
I need to find a Fastlane.
I'm currently leaning towards something software-related since I already have significant skill in that area, but looking in other areas too (briefly) before I take the plunge.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited by a moderator:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
