The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mint.com founder - how he did it (170 mill exit after 3 years)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Re: Mint.com founder - how he did it (170 mill exit after 3 years

Bump for this awesome vid.

I was literally shocked after watching it that no one else posted. I definitely think that this is worth your time if you:

-Are thinking about starting an internet company.
-Would like a general idea of what an internet start-up like mint costs.
-Would like to know what stages an internet start-up goes through.

It is about 25 minutes long and uses a real world example with pretty close $ figures and where that money goes when building a company.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Awesome video, a must watch. What struck me was this guy comes across as your average guy ... meaning, what he did is possible for everyone. Notice that funding didn't come until a prototype was in place -- invest in a prototype if you expect investors to look ... until then, you are like everyone else -- an unexecuted idea of worthless value.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

I enjoyed the video, but the site also looks very interesting to me. Seem like an easy way to organize finances.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ

Saw when this was first posted, however, somehow have not yet watched the video, from a quick look at the site, it appears that it meets the following under MJ's guidelines for a successful entrepreneurial premise:

If you can make 1,000,000 people achieve any of the following:

1) Make them feel better
2) Help them solve a problem
3) Educate them
4) Make them look better (health, nutrition, clothing, makeup)
5) Give them security (housing, safety, health)
6) Arise a positive emotion (love, happiness, laughter, self-confidence)
7) Satisfy appetites of all kind, from basic (food) to the risqué (sexual).
8) Make things easier
9) Enhance their dreams and give hope

Will definitely have to watch this, as I know that with my dad's accounting expertise and my youth, drive and ambition that we can do something similar, just can't lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, whatever we do has to fall within the above criteria to be successful :coolgleamA:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009

Awesome video, a must watch. What struck me was this guy comes across as your average guy ... meaning, what he did is possible for everyone. Notice that funding didn't come until a prototype was in place -- invest in a prototype if you expect investors to look ... until then, you are like everyone else -- an unexecuted idea of worthless value.

Yeah, a prototype is mandatory...
Not a bad deal, he got ~$51million(he had about 30% equity as sole founder)....

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Yeah, a prototype is mandatory...
Not a bad deal, he got ~$51million(he had about 30% equity as sole founder)....
Only 30 percent?? That's why I wouldn't want to raise VC money for my projects in the future...It might change later on thought, but I love freedom too much..

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009

Only 30 percent?? That's why I wouldn't want to raise VC money for my projects in the future...It might change later on thought, but I love freedom too much..

Remember that not only VCs had equity, ALL the guys working there also had a stake and, as usual, if they stick around for X amount of time they can cash out those shares...
They raised $31.8million, that's a lot of cash so it's normal that VCs had a good % of the company...
Mint.com Company Profile

I would love to cash out with $51million and give the other $120millions to my co-workers and the guys who backed me to get there....

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Remember that not only VCs had equity, ALL the guys working there also had a stake and, as usual, if they stick around for X amount of time they can cash out those shares...
They raised $31.8million, that's a lot of cash so it's normal that VCs had a good % of the company...
Mint.com Company Profile

I would love to cash out with $51million and give the other $120millions to my co-workers and the guys who backed me to get there....

I just don't like being controlled too much.. getting VC money adds pressure to profit ASAP and VCs are typically looking for great exit. Not necessary my thing.

Deuce

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 12, 2009

i'm definately gonna have to watch this vid after work!!

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona

Awesome video!

I have to say I wonder why he decided to go from entrepreneur to employee though...

I realize he is young, but he sold his company and seems to think its pretty wonderful to have a great job at Intuit now.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009

Awesome video!

I have to say I wonder why he decided to go from entrepreneur to employee though...

I realize he is young, but he sold his company and seems to think its pretty wonderful to have a great job at Intuit now.

I think that one of the reasons is that he has to meet some targets in order to get is full money and other is that he likes what he's doing so....

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009

I just don't like being controlled too much.. getting VC money adds pressure to profit ASAP and VCs are typically looking for great exit. Not necessary my thing.

I see your point and i think it all depends on the situation.
If you feel you can achieve certain goals with your startup with out funding then don't go that road. But if there's a need to scale rapidly then you'll need money and if you don't have any, you'll to turn to someone besides family and friends.
there's lots of guys out there that bootstrapped and are doing fine and also got acquired. Each case is a different one...

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

I see your point and i think it all depends on the situation.
If you feel you can achieve certain goals with your startup with out funding then don't go that road. But if there's a need to scale rapidly then you'll need money and if you don't have any, you'll to turn to someone besides family and friends.
there's lots of guys out there that bootstrapped and are doing fine and also got acquired. Each case is a different one...
Yeah , I'm into bootstrapping now... Maybe I will have ideas in the future that will need VC funding..

clee4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 13, 2009
NJ

amazing video...has a lot of really great points for people trying to start up an internet company.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN

Great story. I am guessing that mint aggregates your financial record info. It makes sense but I am surprised many people would give up their financial account info to a third party. Bravo to Mint for trying it!

As far as control when growing a company and working w/ angels&VCs. Good luck to anyone keeping a majority ownership. It will rarely ever happen. That is why it is important to pick your partners strategically who have familiarity w/ your segment, instead of taking the first cash available.

Angels/VCs can be tremendously helpful w/ contacts to scale a business rapidly and avoid various pitfalls. Many times these type ideas for online businesses the advantage is to whoever gets to scale marketshare first and establish a brand name rather than best of breed or protecting some proprietary idea. I'm sure there were tens or hundreds of video sites like youtube online but with well known VC partners it can be easier to blow up into something big. Sometimes owning a small part of a huge pie is a whole lot more profitable.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong

Only 30 percent?? That's why I wouldn't want to raise VC money for my projects in the future

That's a very common mindset mistake. The fact of the matter is if he had not raised his 30 millions in VC money he would have failed miserably. He needed that cash to invest on the site, hire people and be the fastest to become a leader in his space. Remember, it's better to have a fraction of 170 millions than to own 100% of a site nobody cares about.

CommonCents also make an excellent point: VCs don't bring only money (when you work with good ones). They bring their expertise and help you scale. Then they use their network of contacts to help you do a big exit. This is HUGE.

That is just BS. In order to sell the business he had to sign a contract with Intuit promising to stay for a while (a year or three, it depends). Now he leads a team there, so he has to say he loves it. Standard operating procedure. As soon as his contractual obligations are over he will be out of there to start something else.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
That is just BS. In order to sell the business he had to sign a contract with Intuit promising to stay for a while (a year or three, it depends). Now he leads a team there, so he has to say he loves it. Standard operating procedure. As soon as his contractual obligations are over he will be out of there to start something else.

As I was saying...

Aaron Patzer Ditches His Desk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I'll have to read through these articles as I know the gist of it is he found a need regarding an easier way to manage finances, he wasn't your typical startup geek(i.e. Zuckerberg, Jobs or Gates) and he executed the idea to the max!

This sounds like a story I need to read, much like MJ reading about select self-made millionaires who weren't remarkable talents(i.e. athletes/entertainers) and achieved wealth in a short-term, not over decades.

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
He isn't really 'just an average' guy...I mean he has a bachelors from Duke and masters from Princeton - he's obviously pretty intelligent. He also seems to have big chip on his shoulder for being an engineer...

Regardless, building and selling the company within 3 years for that amount is amazing and deserves credit

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
What a perfect Fastlane story ... now he is traveling the world ... and it had nothing to do with jobs, 401(k)s, or clipping coupons. I can't believe it. :smxB:

And age age 30 too! Most people have just started slaving away in their cubicle at that age, and he's already done making enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life and travel the world whenever he wants.

A

Anon3587x

That is a great video. I'm really interested to hear more about the best way to find a qualified engineer that you can trust to write your code.

Simple, do it yourself.
It's not that hard and the free information is everywhere.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Simple, do it yourself.
It's not that hard and the free information is everywhere.

No offense but this is terrible advice. If you want to be the guy in control and making money, you can't waste your time learning about code (unless you are already a software engineer, in which case code away). Pitch your project, raise some money, hire a good team, raise more money when the product ships, etc etc.

Don't worry too much about "trust"; your idea is worthless on its own, it's your execution that will make or break your project.

A

Anon3587x

ITA
No offense but this is terrible advice. If you want to be the guy in control and making money, you can't waste your time learning about code (unless you are already a software engineer, in which case code away). Pitch your project, raise some money, hire a good team, raise more money when the product ships, etc etc.

Don't worry too much about "trust"; your idea is worthless on its own, it's your execution that will make or break your project.​

I once felt that way myself.

I do wish to be the guy in complete control over my projects and its nice knowing how your website works from the inside out. Nothing will make you feel more powerless than not knowing how to change a stupid function on your website because the source code looks like a foreign language. Lord knows I've been that guy . . .

I dislike looking to other people in order to forward progress on my ideas.
Personal Preference I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.