The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mind Wrestling

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
We've all had those days where doing what's going to get us ahead or build our business is the last thing we want to do, because it takes effort, we're tired, or any other number of reasons.

What are some things you guys do when those times happen, and when do you know it's time to take a break, or realize that it's actually your mind creating a logical reason why you shouldn't acconplish something that will get you ahead because we're conditioned by society to take the easy way and the path of least resistance?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I make it a habit to just show up. Some days my output is awesome and many days my output is horrible.

Just make the commitment to show up for a certain amount of time every day no matter how you feel. If you do this, you'll be successful.

Consider reading the War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

Also check out this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UXPQL9D7k

Also don't forget to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night and schedule additional rest periods to allow your conscious to rest while your subconscious works.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
My main solution: Talking about it openly with my best friend from time to time over a beer.

For example:
I've been building & developing my new home brewery/bar since moving house one year now.
This is a crowd funded project where I host parties and people can donate max €10 into the development pot.
This is my passion for which I also have a YouTube Channel teaching people how to build a technical installation. I still really love it, but I just CANT FACE DOING anything in there the past two months. Also my garden is a jungle and needs work, cant find motivation.

Last week had a BBQ with my friend & I shared my guilt for being so lazy & not committing to these things that I love I once did with fervour.

He looked at me like I was crazy & began listing off most the things/activities etc. that I have been doing past 10 weeks of my life. (He knows far to much!)

He rolled off: "you have been studying/self learning every evening, you are away often on weekend trips, you're working 40 hours, fitness, tennis, dating girls etc. and now on top of that you are learning to program IOS Apps for at least 3 hours a day. Holy F*ck, how can you feel guilty? You put us all to shame!!"

Indirect Solution: Self Reflection, Accept Limitations
What shocked me most:
I was subconsciously focusing on what tasks I couldn't do,
thus ignoring my limitations & how much I was already doing & achieving.

It seems so obvious now. So maybe one solution when you lack the motivation even on those tired days is to take some time really for yourself, sit back and use that time to take stock of/record your achievements the past few weeks or months. Maybe practice some mindfulness or take yourself down to the spa for a relaxing massage. Accept your limitations and remove the guilt eating away at you.

On the other hand, if you take stock and havent achieved anything the last few weeks and you still don't feel like doing the work, then its a pretty good sign you've lost sight of your goal or are not seeing the rewards for your produced value. Probably time to re-assess your business or life choices.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
I make it a habit to just show up. Some days my output is awesome and many days my output is horrible.

Just make the commitment to show up for a certain amount of time every day no matter how you feel. If you do this, you'll be successful.

Consider reading the War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

Also check out this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UXPQL9D7k

Also don't forget to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night and schedule additional rest periods to allow your conscious to rest while your subconscious works.
Wow, I forgot something so simple. Been focusing so much on taking action and reading various books/absrorbing information that the basics like showing up and nature vs nurture faded into the background. Thank you for reminding me this @Rawseed , this is exactly what I've been looking for. And what's the basis of War of Art? I've heard the book mentioned several times, in different places.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
My main solution: Talking about it openly with my best friend from time to time over a beer.

For example:
I've been building & developing my new home brewery/bar since moving house one year now.
This is a crowd funded project where I host parties and people can donate max €10 into the development pot.
This is my passion for which I also have a YouTube Channel teaching people how to build a technical installation. I still really love it, but I just CANT FACE DOING anything in there the past two months. Also my garden is a jungle and needs work, cant find motivation.

Last week had a BBQ with my friend & I shared my guilt for being so lazy & not committing to these things that I love I once did with fervour.

He looked at me like I was crazy & began listing off most the things/activities etc. that I have been doing past 10 weeks of my life. (He knows far to much!)

He rolled off: "you have been studying/self learning every evening, you are away often on weekend trips, you're working 40 hours, fitness, tennis, dating girls etc. and now on top of that you are learning to program IOS Apps for at least 3 hours a day. Holy F*ck, how can you feel guilty? You put us all to shame!!"

Indirect Solution: Self Reflection, Accept Limitations
What shocked me most:
I was subconsciously focusing on what tasks I couldn't do,
thus ignoring my limitations & how much I was already doing & achieving.

It seems so obvious now. So maybe one solution when you lack the motivation even on those tired days is to take some time really for yourself, sit back and use that time to take stock of/record your achievements the past few weeks or months. Maybe practice some mindfulness or take yourself down to the spa for a relaxing massage. Accept your limitations and remove the guilt eating away at you.

On the other hand, if you take stock and havent achieved anything the last few weeks and you still don't feel like doing the work, then its a pretty good sign you've lost sight of your goal or are not seeing the rewards for your produced value. Probably time to re-assess your business or life choices.
That's absolutely true, it sounds like you've experienced a reverse form of the ownership bias(forgot what the actual name is), where when you own a Lamborghini you see them everywhere.

I know exactly how that goes. We get too busy focusing on our next achievement that we forget to actually celebrate the things we've already accomplished. It's a no win cycle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.