The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MARGINS

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
MARGINS. Readers might be surprised to know that some German-made products are sold by retailers in other Western countries at prices no higher than similar Chinese made products.

It is almost certain that those products cost more for consumers in Germany. WHY? Because the German consumer is willing to pay those prices.

For my own use I regularly import certain products from the USA to Australia. My landed cost is no more than 40% of the prices charged by local manufacturers in Australia. Why do Australian consumers pay so much? Because local manufacturers are content with their market share and competition is based on slick marketing, and the consumers are unaware that they can easily import such products and save 60%.

Retailers worldwide often have big sales in which they offer discounts, usually around 50%. The gullible public rush in and buy, thinking they are getting a great deal. In fact the retailers are still making a huge profit because their cost on imported goods can be as low as 10% of the originally advertised retail price. Even if it is 15% they are still making good money.

So how can Fastlaners benefit from this? The answer is to understand MARGINS. New importers tend to believe everything they read on sites such as Alibaba.

They have no idea of manufacturing costs in places like China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Estonia, Romania, etc., so when they see a price displayed that is way under the retail prices they have found in their marketing research, they say WOW! That's cheap.

The reality of pricing in China is that it is possible to buy at prices beyond an importer's wildest dreams. For example I know where to buy products in China for US$2 FOB, and I have seen them retail for as much as $60. Landed cost in the US would be about $3 if shipped via sea freight.

MARGINS will depend on your buying price. That's so obvious but I had to say it. You must buy at prices that give you a high margin.

To find the very best prices nothing can beat personal visits to factories, but if that is outside the budget, try offering well under the best price a supplier offers. Make that offer at a price that gives you a high margin.

They will say no, but if you thank them politely and say “If you find that you can meet our price, please contact me”, some might come back to you in a week, or two, or a month. Unless you have convinced them that you can benefit them because you have a ready market, they won't respond.

Remember that in places such as China there will be hundreds, and sometimes thousands of suppliers for the product you want. Spread your net.

The alternative to DIY negotiating is to use a truly reliable sourcing agent, but finding those can be like sticking a pin in a list while blindfolded.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
MARGINS. Readers might be surprised to know that some German-made products are sold by retailers in other Western countries at prices no higher than similar Chinese made products.

It is almost certain that those products cost more for consumers in Germany. WHY? Because the German consumer is willing to pay those prices.

For my own use I regularly import certain products from the USA to Australia. My landed cost is no more than 40% of the prices charged by local manufacturers in Australia. Why do Australian consumers pay so much? Because local manufacturers are content with their market share and competition is based on slick marketing, and the consumers are unaware that they can easily import such products and save 60%.

Retailers worldwide often have big sales in which they offer discounts, usually around 50%. The gullible public rush in and buy, thinking they are getting a great deal. In fact the retailers are still making a huge profit because their cost on imported goods can be as low as 10% of the originally advertised retail price. Even if it is 15% they are still making good money.

So how can Fastlaners benefit from this? The answer is to understand MARGINS. New importers tend to believe everything they read on sites such as Alibaba.

They have no idea of manufacturing costs in places like China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Estonia, Romania, etc., so when they see a price displayed that is way under the retail prices they have found in their marketing research, they say WOW! That's cheap.

The reality of pricing in China is that it is possible to buy at prices beyond an importer's wildest dreams. For example I know where to buy products in China for US$2 FOB, and I have seen them retail for as much as $60. Landed cost in the US would be about $3 if shipped via sea freight.

MARGINS will depend on your buying price. That's so obvious but I had to say it. You must buy at prices that give you a high margin.

To find the very best prices nothing can beat personal visits to factories, but if that is outside the budget, try offering well under the best price a supplier offers. Make that offer at a price that gives you a high margin.

They will say no, but if you thank them politely and say “If you find that you can meet our price, please contact me”, some might come back to you in a week, or two, or a month. Unless you have convinced them that you can benefit them because you have a ready market, they won't respond.

Remember that in places such as China there will be hundreds, and sometimes thousands of suppliers for the product you want. Spread your net.

The alternative to DIY negotiating is to use a truly reliable sourcing agent, but finding those can be like sticking a pin in a list while blindfolded.

Walter
Thank you Walter! Are you familiar with the late John Spiers? John is the author of How Small Business Trade Worldwide. I was fortunate to have taken a few of his seminars (small business and food trade) before he past away. I have his PDF book which he freely distributed prior to his passing if you are interested. He also had a blog (still available) at:

Cheers,
Bill

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thank you Walter! Are you familiar with the late John Spiers? John is the author of How Small Business Trade Worldwide. I was fortunate to have taken a few of his seminars (small business and food trade) before he past away. I have his PDF book which he freely distributed prior to his passing if you are interested. He also had a blog (still available) at:
Yes I am familiar with John Spiers and his blog, but I have never read his book.

From what I have seen in his blog, although he gives some attention to importing inventory for sale, he is primarily advocating what is in fact a dream promoted by many people. The theme sounds glamorous: Set up an Import/Export business.

He does give fair warning about the difficulties, and also warns about the many others who promote the Import/Export idea as a fast and easy road to wealth.

I have seen so many courses offered by international trade gurus (not John Spiers) that provide totally inadequate training, and it is like getting an apprentice to build a nuclear power station.

In my 2019 edition I warn against the use of Buy/Sell sites because they are infested with opportunists and scam artists. No doubt many of them have tried using such sites to follow the dream taught them by those gurus.

If anyone should doubt the reality of what I am saying, check out a few Buy/Sell sites, and see how many buy offers and sell offers have withered on the vine but the posts are still there years later.

I have been on both sides of the importing and exporting scene. I have done very nicely out of acting as an import agent doing what is correctly known as "Indent selling", but I succeeded because I only handled very technically demanding products with which I was very familiar.

For 9 years I exported high tech chemical products that I manufactured myself, before switching to importing for B2B sales. I understand the great appeal of being an international trader, but there are very few real success stories.

My suggestion is that for long term stable, profitable business, importing inventory for your well researched and proven market is the best way to go in international trade.

Walter

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A friend of my youth began the importing story 2 years ago. He visited some factorys in China. Has about 2 m sales this year. Sorry I m not his best friend now, because the knowledge is flowing frugal.

Another friend managed the BMW 450 motor housing import 13 years ago. It was astonishing for me BMW letting build them in China

I ordered some goods some weeks ago to see the quality. Than perhaps I will negotiate.

@ Walter , special tech parts, should I search and order on selling pages for findingthe ( already existing) parts, or send a part and let copy or send plans?

btw, is your book translated into German?

thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
A friend of my youth began the importing story 2 years ago. He visited some factorys in China. Has about 2 m sales this year. Sorry I m not his best friend now, because the knowledge is flowing frugal.

Another friend managed the BMW 450 motor housing import 13 years ago. It was astonishing for me BMW letting build them in China

I ordered some goods some weeks ago to see the quality. Than perhaps I will negotiate.

@ Walter , special tech parts, should I search and order on selling pages for findingthe ( already existing) parts, or send a part and let copy or send plans?

btw, is your book translated into German?

thanks.
I'm sorry to say that although my book is relevant to most countries, it is only published in English.

Buying tech parts can be done either way. A lot of the orders I and my franchisees placed were completed successfully as a result of sending a sample to the manufacturer who copied it exactly. In most cases we sent detailed artwork, and the manufacturer produced molds with great precision.

The most important part of that process was to have a manufacturer that we could rely on.

Walter

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!