The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Losing sight

Anything related to matters of the mind

hallz2868

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 10, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Hey everyone

My is Brandon...I have been on a 5yr plan to becoming a millionaire. I have save a substantial amount of income from every paycheck, eliminated all the negative people, and began to read to the likes Robert k, Donald Trump, Kevin Trudoe, and Napolean Hill...but at times i find myself falling of track and slipping into my old ways. My question is i need help in finding ways to stay on fastlane path....can anyone help?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What "old ways" are you slipping into? ...There is a saying out there, "focus on progress not perfection." This means that you will have more success if you focus on the progress that you are making instead of being so focused on perfection that you get upset if you fall short. Keep in mind too that developing new habits takes practice. Every time you catch yourself slipping off the course you feel you should be on, take action that very moment that puts you on course. Small efforts done daily will shape you into the person you want to be.

...I'd love to hear more about your plan! :)

hallz2868

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 10, 2008
Anaheim, CA
My old ways, u asked? Spending money when I should save and procrastinating on tasks... so my current plan for my 5yr goal is to save $225 every week for 5 yrs and budget for the necessities (ex food, clothes, rent, etc..) Eventually venture into real estate, but first gain more knowledge everyday to avoid obstacles I encounter. I'm very fortunate to have my godfather as my mentor helping on my journey has been a big help

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
225 a week = house payment on a moderate rental. (depending on where you are) Anaheim may be much different, but here in the Dallas area it will buy you a nice 90k house 3 br/2ba/1400 sq ft .

5 years from now is a long time at your age. Too many variables between now and 31. You can save all you want hoping to invest it in 5 years but who know what the economy will look like? Get married, have a kid and it all changes. The savings just gets absorbed into the monthly budget unless there is a definite plan for it. Too easy to say lets go eat and only put200 in this month. Much harder if that money is already spoken for.

Can you put that 225/ month to better use?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
My old ways, u asked? Spending money when I should save and procrastinating on tasks... so my current plan for my 5yr goal is to save $225 every week for 5 yrs and budget for the necessities (ex food, clothes, rent, etc..) Eventually venture into real estate, but first gain more knowledge everyday to avoid obstacles I encounter. I'm very fortunate to have my godfather as my mentor helping on my journey has been a big help

Everyone should have a plan that they are comfortable with. Just because someone tells you that you should save money, doesn't necessarily mean that saving money is right for you. Personally? I'm a 22 year old punk kid who loves to go out. I can't cook, I'm not too good at the "around the house" things. Why can I do? Dance my a$$ off at the clubs, go out to eat a lot, etc. Saving would not be good for me, it's just not my personality.

BUT I do save money. 10% of every dollar. The rest I spend on bills and entertainment. If I want something else I find a way to increase my income instead of spending less... I guess all I'm saying is figure out what is best for you. Life is too short to be the richest man in the graveyard. You have to enjoy the money you make also.

That being said, there are two things that control your life. Pain and Pleasure. As you may know Tony Robbins is big into this.

If you find yourself slipping into old ways it's because of 2 things. #1. you associate more pain to actually sticking to your plan, and #2. you associate pleasure to not following through.

The key is to identify these and figure out some knew beliefs that will make you stick through it. WILL POWER IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ANYTHING! ESPECIALLY SAVING!!

For Example:

• 1. Pain Associated with not saving

• I could use that money to buy things I want now!
  • I have to give up something else to save
  • I can't use my own money because it's in a savings fund
  • It's my hard earned money I should be able to spend it

2. Pleasure Associated with not saving

• Instant gratification (buying extra things I want now).
  • The feeling of having extra money!
  • Being able to take people out to eat!
  • Being able to buy presents or gifts for other people.
Obviously you can see that these are some pretty powerful reasons for me to not follow through. Especially considering when I'm hungry, I'M HUNGRY! I want food NOW! I'm not going to wait 'til I get home to cook something, and even if I did, I'm a terrible cook! I like to give and contribute. Nothing is more satisfying to me than to be able to treat others to lunch. Especially those who treated me to lunch before I had money.

Anyways if you're committed to actually sticking to the plan here's what you do:

Step 1. Write out the list like the above (but with your reasons obviously)

Step 2. Write out a NEW list.

What is it ultimately going to cost you if you don't follow through? A dream vacation? A house of your own? A new car? Ultimate financial freedom!?! Write it down too, it always makes things more clear even if you write it on a napkin.

What could make it more pleasureable?? What could you do or think about to make saving more pleasurable? Could you reward yourself every time you put money into savings? (maybe treat yourself to an ice cream cone! yay!) Could you think about how much closer you are getting to your goal with a chart or something you see every day? (maybe a thermometer in your bedroom or office?)

Step 3. Condition that

Make sure you don't just write down the list and forget about it. It's like doing sit ups. You can do one and still have a keg. You can do a hundred and still have a belly. Until you consistantly do abs exercises and do other things (like the proper nutrition) you won't have that 6, 8, or 10 pack.

Along these lines, remind yourself, I post up notes on my walls all over my bedroom and bathroom. On top of that I make sure to reward myself for good behavior.

Hopefully some of this helps. If you want more info on stuff like this you can check out Awaken the Giant within by Tony Robbins. He has a great chapter on it about Nuero-Associative-Conditioning.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If you hang out here more often and post your goals and progress you will find out the power of hanging with like minded people.:thumbsup:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Everyone should have a plan that they are comfortable with. Just because someone tells you that you should save money, doesn't necessarily mean that saving money is right for you. Personally? I'm a 22 year old punk kid who loves to go out. I can't cook, I'm not too good at the "around the house" things. Why can I do? Dance my a$$ off at the clubs, go out to eat a lot, etc. Saving would not be good for me, it's just not my personality.

BUT I do save money. 10% of every dollar. The rest I spend on bills and entertainment. If I want something else I find a way to increase my income instead of spending less... I guess all I'm saying is figure out what is best for you. Life is too short to be the richest man in the graveyard. You have to enjoy the money you make also.

That being said, there are two things that control your life. Pain and Pleasure. As you may know Tony Robbins is big into this.

If you find yourself slipping into old ways it's because of 2 things. #1. you associate more pain to actually sticking to your plan, and #2. you associate pleasure to not following through.

The key is to identify these and figure out some knew beliefs that will make you stick through it. WILL POWER IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ANYTHING! ESPECIALLY SAVING!!

For Example:

Obviously you can see that these are some pretty powerful reasons for me to not follow through. Especially considering when I'm hungry, I'M HUNGRY! I want food NOW! I'm not going to wait 'til I get home to cook something, and even if I did, I'm a terrible cook! I like to give and contribute. Nothing is more satisfying to me than to be able to treat others to lunch. Especially those who treated me to lunch before I had money.

Anyways if you're committed to actually sticking to the plan here's what you do:

What is it ultimately going to cost you if you don't follow through? A dream vacation? A house of your own? A new car? Ultimate financial freedom!?! Write it down too, it always makes things more clear even if you write it on a napkin.

What could make it more pleasureable?? What could you do or think about to make saving more pleasurable? Could you reward yourself every time you put money into savings? (maybe treat yourself to an ice cream cone! yay!) Could you think about how much closer you are getting to your goal with a chart or something you see every day? (maybe a thermometer in your bedroom or office?)

Step 3. Condition that

Make sure you don't just write down the list and forget about it. It's like doing sit ups. You can do one and still have a keg. You can do a hundred and still have a belly. Until you consistantly do abs exercises and do other things (like the proper nutrition) you won't have that 6, 8, or 10 pack.

Along these lines, remind yourself, I post up notes on my walls all over my bedroom and bathroom. On top of that I make sure to reward myself for good behavior.

Hopefully some of this helps. If you want more info on stuff like this you can check out Awaken the Giant within by Tony Robbins. He has a great chapter on it about Nuero-Associative-Conditioning.

Wow Steve, still riding that coaching conference high? Good post. +++speed.:icon_super:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Wow Steve, still riding that coaching conference high? Good post. +++speed.:icon_super:

Just the beginning my friend. Just the beginning :smxB:...

Thanks for your support :smx19:

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
..... On top of that I make sure to reward myself for good behavior.
That is such a good comment. What’s the point of focusing resources and sacrificing the “now†for the “later†if you can’t enjoy something during the progression? Maybe break your 1M goal down to

20 Milestones of 50k Net worth increments
Or
20 Milestones of cash flow increments (100/mo, 200/mo…etc)

Peg a reward on each milestone.
50k = Jetski purchase
100k = Lypo for the tail (gotta look good on the jet ski)
150k =Trip to Kansas
200k = Whatever.

..... That being said, there are two things that control your life. Pain and Pleasure…
And the best things in life are usually compost from both. Which do you want first, Pleasure or the Pain?

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
Spending might not be such a bad thing to keep you motivated. If you save every last dollar and never treat yourself, it is going to be difficult to keep working without any kind of reward.

I think instead of saving as much as possible for five years, maybe you should start your business ideas a little sooner and hopefully start growing earlier.

I don't know the specifics of your plans, but some people sometimes use savings as an excuse to defer action. Maybe you should just try acting now and see where that takes you?

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC
Life is too short to be the richest man in the graveyard. You have to enjoy the money you make also.
A brilliant quote. I think I've posted elsewhere that I have no interest in dying with money; I don't even particularly want to pass much on to my kids. I'll provide them with a college education and whatever else they need to achieve their dreams, while still allowing them to achieve their dreams. If I pass on my fortune, then they won't have to work.

In short, I'm going to both make and spend all my money in my lifetime. It's going to be one helluva ride!

hallz2868

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 10, 2008
Anaheim, CA

For Example:

Step 3. Condition that

Thanks...i have to change my way of thinking...goood post +++rep speed

hallz2868

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 10, 2008
Anaheim, CA
If you hang out here more often and post your goals and progress you will find out the power of hanging with like minded people.:thumbsup:
Thanks...I look foward to gaining more knowledge from this site ++rep speed

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.