The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking For a "Full-Time" Cofounder To Build Web Businesses

journey24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 13, 2011
so the title of this thread is vague. it doesn't state a fastlane idea thats ready to be the next big thing - thats on purpose because i have a crap load of ideas all the time (and still do), but ive come to realize that...the mindset isn't the only thing that matters (though i think the fastlane mentality is def spot on) - its the sacrifice in lifestyle to buy more time that matters, its the skillset of the team that matters, its the execution & persistence that matters.

what brought me to this realization? a crap load of attempts of building that fastlane idea..

after working at multiple startup companies for 4 years and moonlighting at night (that was tiring as hell), i left the slow lane 3 years ago and have been building web apps since then. ive built all sorts of apps, from user generated content apps, software as a service, ecommerce and dabbled into some affiliate marketing also, so im pretty familiar with monetizing on the web, but just haven't been able to make it big.

im actually in asia right now so i could lower my cost of living while bootstrapping for the last 3 years, but am thinking about moving back to the US soon if needed.

also, after countless meetups in the past 5 years, ive met some great coders that aren't in the situation to leave their jobs, wantrepreneurs that show up to network and don't really bring much to the table and waste everyones time, and all sorts of stuff that most ppl will experience hanging around a 'startup crowd'. the point of this thread isn't to call out these ppl, but i guess im just a bit tired of going through all that and im looking for ppl willing to team up and make some sacrifices to create profitable businesses.

thats my background, and this is what i can bring to the table...

im a web developer (ruby on rails particularly) that can do both back-end & front-end (not a designer though). i can handle deployment and anything related to the server, know how to build the app for performance, but haven't really scaled a huge app before. my strong point is getting technical stuff done, and figuring out how if i havent done it before.

im pretty bad at copywriting (found this out with affiliate marketing) but am willing to do it if i have time after development, am ok at product development and doing mockups, can do some project management (usually use basecamp, campfire, skype, etc).

im familiar with the web startup mentality (lean startup, pivoting, agile dev, scrum, etc etc), and also the affiliate approach of things (test test test, metrics driven, etc).

and this is what kind of cofounder im looking for...

im looking for either another rails developer, web designer, UX guy, or even a business guy (but please be more than the idea guy) to partner up and build things. im looking for someone that believes i can complement his or her situation while he or she can help out mine. one of the main things that says alot is the commitment & determination you can bring - this isn't a weekend project, im skipping out on a 6 figure salary every year, but we all know thats not much in the bigger picture :)

my title for this thread says 'web businesses' because i'm hoping there's a chance we can build multiple ventures in case one doesnt pan out - meaning, there will always be ideas but if we execute fast and efficiently, we will increase are chances of finding that successful fastlane idea.

in terms of cash, id be able to put in up to 100k if need be for bootstrapping, depending on the web venture.

if anything i mentioned sounds familiar or has you interested in talking, feel free to PM me - thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
you want your partner to leave his/her job to start working with you??
then you need to hire your co-founder and pay him a salary
or what do you promise in exchange?

I don't think you will find someone using this approach.

Why don't you publish description of the projects you are working on?

I think pure web startups are a big bubble.. which is about to burst..
this segment is so saturated now...you can find any possible service online now... big part of them are useless

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) Where in Asia are you located and are you American?
2) Is English your native language (I ask because communication is important in partnerships)
3) Do you have any "finished" apps/projects that someone can view?

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
...you can find any possible service online now...

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
640kb [of RAM in a PC] ought to be enough for anybody.

I'd attribute the quotes, but I don't believe the sources that they are most widely considered to be from are correct.. however, I use them to highlight a point. It's easy to feel everything has been done... but that's only if you don't look beyond the boundaries of Now ;)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I don't think you will find someone using this approach.

No, What you just wrote is for someone looking for an employee.

A co-founder would come in and also put down some money for a start-up. A co-founder would have an equity stake.

journey24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 13, 2011
thanks for the PMs guys - ill get back to you asap..

great questions MJ:

1) Where in Asia are you located and are you American?

i'm in Taiwan right now, born and raised in houston. I went to USC in LA for my university (computer science). ive worked at 4 startups since graduating.

2) Is English your native language (I ask because communication is important in partnerships)

english is my native language - in fact ive been trying to pick up chinese here but its pretty rough for me.

3) Do you have any "finished" apps/projects that someone can view?

i do - i mean some are still "live" but don't have any traffic. some are also offline, but i have one or two that had the whole sales page, branding, etc.

ill be free to show them through PMs to serious ppl interested in partnering up, and rather not post them here.

questions from others:

Where in the US will you be looking to relocate?

i have a place in houston and LA (particularly south of torrance), so i would prefer going out to texas / california. but im not really worried about that bc id assume we would first build a prototype and see how we work together before suddenly making a move if we're separated.

as biophase mentioned, this is a partnership. whether or not he gives up his 6 figure job or his sacking groceries job is his decision. ive already done that and have been trying to launch stuff.

in terms of what i would promise in exchange, i list out what i bring to the table in the first post, and yes we would be splitting equity 50/50, assuming we both match the amount of time we put in, and cash investments. if we dont match time and cash, we adjust the equity accordingly

i forgot to answer one other thing - if i have cash, can develop web apps, why am i looking for a partner? why not do this on my own?

i have been doing this on my own for a while and have tried partnerships here and there. i just believe this is a long road and a rollercoaster ride - id like to go through all the ups and downs with someone else that can help make the 'team' more efficient and productive.

i actually have an office out here in taiwan and am thinking of turning it into a coworking place to take care of rent, if i end up leaving. if any of you are out in taiwan also (im guessing no) then def PM me

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

james123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 29, 2011
Honestly you share my kind of dream, but unfortunately i havent started yet but mindset is 100% matched , but am from a part of the world where most things dont seems to work on track, africa and nigeria to be specific, ...in my own case i can say you should be my MENTOR .....it doesnt look like journey24 is ever gonna reply this cos he seems on a fasterline than i am, i wish u good luck...but always know that there is a guy in africa u can call ur prototype...God bless u

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.