The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lifechanging Book: The War of Art - Steven Pressfield

Stefan Em

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 4, 2011
Switzerland
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield was recommended to me last week, I read it in one sitting. It's about resistance to do take action, about fear - basically about every aspect of your life.

Some quotes:

"It is one thing to stdy war, and another to live the warriro's life." - Telamon of Arcadia

"We can use resistance. We can use it as a compass. We can navigate by Resistance, letting it guide us to that calling or action that we must follow before all others."

"Rule of thumb: The more important a call or action is to our soul's nevolution, the more Resistance we will feel toward pursuing it."

"Fear is good. Like self-doubt, fear is an indicator. Fear tells us what we have to do."

Seriously, have a look at it ;)

What do you guys think about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446691437/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Stefan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
Great recommendation, one of my favorites, and always a good one to read when I feel myself entering one of my "less productive" periods.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
A freaking AWESOME book. I will always cherish my copy of it.

I read it as a struggling writer-in-training. I'm not sure how well the advice translates to business, but as OP said, it's so brilliant that it should probably be read anyway. And many of the lessons probably apply generally.

I haven't read it in a while, but I think a lot of what he goes into is basically dealing with process and the "desert of desertion." How do you wake up every day and stare that ugly friggin novel in the face? How do you develop the persistence to keep hacking at your words when they seem so completely god-awful?

One of the first things my mentor did in college was throw this book at me. He would give this book and one other to every n00b that showed up begging for help. I think it was basically his way of separating out those who really want to get better from those who are just jacking around. I remember being shocked that here's all these people that supposedly want to make great books, but they can't be bothered to read this little Pressfield book that they could probably read in an hour. What's the point man? Where's the damned desire? The desire to be better?--or maybe, one day, to even be great? Or even the GOAT?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Last edited: