The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning C++

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn C++. I've been at it for a few months now. But, the problem is that I have seen literally no progress; not even incremental. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions to plow through a roadblock like this. Thanks for reading. (Also, if I can do anything for ya, please let me know!)

Arsh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn C++. I've been at it for a few months now. But, the problem is that I have seen literally no progress; not even incremental. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions to plow through a roadblock like this. Thanks for reading. (Also, if I can do anything for ya, please let me know!)

Arsh

You need to say what part of C++ is giving you trouble. If it is grasping "the big picture", read some books on pure OOP first. If it is the syntax, maybe start with an OOP language that has easier syntax, like Python or Ruby. Once you make some objects in one language, you will at least know what you are trying to accomplish in C++. It seems weird you have made no progress after working on something for months.

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
You need to say what part of C++ is giving you trouble. If it is grasping "the big picture", read some books on pure OOP first. If it is the syntax, maybe start with an OOP language that has easier syntax, like Python or Ruby. Once you make some objects in one language, you will at least know what you are trying to accomplish in C++. It seems weird you have made no progress after working on something for months.
Hey, thanks for the help.
I don't know what my problem is. Though I can definitely rule out several things. For example, I know it's definitely not the syntax. I have worked with Python and Java [have created objects before and I've used properties such as inheritance] before and didn't have too much difficulty with those.
For example, in class, we're learning about creating dynamic queues using linked lists. I completely understand the concept. Everything the instructor says makes sense. But, when it comes to implementation, I can't get past the first step. Obviously, I started trying to learn it before classes started. But, I'm just really stuck on the issue of what my problem with C++ is. :eek:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I had a college C++ class. Day 1: professor states how C++ really isn't the best choice for programming in most modern designs. Which goes to show how applicable college Computer Science classes are to real-world applications, but that's besides the point.

What's your reason for needing to learn C++? Why are you trying to learn--do you actually have a use for it? You can hire a C++ programmer in Asia for $15/hour. If all you're trying to do is get some software built, this is a problem you can throw $500 at rather than trying to learn the intricacies of an outdated programming language. Why spend months and months learning to code?

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
I had a college C++ class. Day 1: professor states how C++ really isn't the best choice for programming in most modern designs. Which goes to show how applicable college Computer Science classes are to real-world applications, but that's besides the point.

What's your reason for needing to learn C++? Why are you trying to learn--do you actually have a use for it? You can hire a C++ programmer in Asia for $15/hour. If all you're trying to do is get some software built, this is a problem you can throw $500 at rather than trying to learn the intricacies of an outdated programming language. Why spend months and months learning to code?

Well, I am taking a Data Structures in C++ course. Secondly, I like programming. I do want to get into the intricacies of programming languages like C++ (it's the most applicable language for designing the backbone of video games which is something I want to pursue). Anyhow, if it was something I wanted to outsource, I would. But, I can't and don't want to. I just really want to progress, even if little by little.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
So in the grand scheme of things, are you working harder or smarter towards your goal?

From what I have heard from a some developers in the industry, coding is pretty much
similar to one of those "its a calling" careers very similar to doctor, lawyer, veterinarian etc....
Can you do well without having this calling? Yea sure... but to push yourself to
rockstar levels it has to be more than a interest but an innate desire to do so.

Something I realized is that, a lot of coders turned wealthy entrepreneurs didn't learn code to become one
but saw a window of opportunity where they could apply their craft honed over the years.

Just my musings on the topic.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Are you actually doing any coding in C++?

You can read and study it all you like, but you'll never be proficient unless you are actually writing your own code.

I suggest you code EVERY DAY.

Try coming up with some of your own algorithms and coding them with your current skills. Do this every day a little bit. I bet you'll find that after this you have a far better grasp on the code.

There's a lot of languages more modern than C++, but ultimately, C++ can still do pretty much anything that the other languages can do. C++ is still the language of choice when it comes to OS, video games, and anything that requires lightning speed. Shows that despite all the advancements, wew can't replace it.

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Are you actually doing any coding in C++?

You can read and study it all you like, but you'll never be proficient unless you are actually writing your own code.

I suggest you code EVERY DAY.

Try coming up with some of your own algorithms and coding them with your current skills. Do this every day a little bit. I bet you'll find that after this you have a far better grasp on the code.

There's a lot of languages more modern than C++, but ultimately, C++ can still do pretty much anything that the other languages can do. C++ is still the language of choice when it comes to OS, video games, and anything that requires lightning speed. Shows that despite all the advancements, wew can't replace it.
Thanks mate. I will definitely try all of these things, though I do code almost every day (except for 1 day per week).

Arsh

Confused Soul
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 5, 2014
Since this is an entrepreneurial forum, not a coding forum, I trust you've seen this? https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/learn-to-code/

Also, have you read MJs book? If not, go do it now.
I'm sorry, I hadn't realized that such a page existed. Thank you for pointing me toward that. I will make sure to check it out.
Also, I have read TMF . It's helpful in realizing a proper road to success, but I have to "personalize" it myself, of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.