The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Juicing Boosts Blood Platelets by 57%

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
Here's a recent blog I posted. Hopefully someone finds it interesting.

If you're reading this you've probably already heard about the great benefits of juicing fresh fruits and vegetables. Countless people who have attempted
juice fasts or incorporated juicing into their diets, have experienced great benefits in the ultimate measurement of health: their blood. These people have seen reduced blood pressure, increased red blood cell count, reduced triglycerides, reduced blood sugar, and reduced cholesterol among other amazing benefits. Well, I'm here to tell you that it also seems to increase your blood plateletcount.

For those of you who don't know what platelets are,they are tiny cells primarily responsible for clotting your blood if you get cut. They also catalyze wound repair by secreting a compound that encourages local cell division. They are extremely important if you ever experience a major injury, and hospitals are always in need of platelets as well as plasma and whole blood.

Well, I began donating platelets and plasma beginning of February of 2013. During my first four donations my average platelet count was 221,000 per microliter. However, prior to my last donation I had been juicing fairly regularly for three weeks and was excited to see if there was any change in my platelet count. As you already know based on the title, I experienced a 57% increase in my platelet count, up to 347,000 per microliter after just three weeks of juicing! I defy anyone to find another diet that can have such drastic and measurable physiological effects after such a short time.

When I first donated platelets, I did a double donation and was interested in continuing to be able to do this. However, it takes a very long time to do a double donation, and after that first time my platelet count was too low to be able to do it because the nurses are not allowed to keep donors longer than 110 minutes. Well, I asked them what I could do to increase my platelet count and they said they didn't know of any particular diet or supplement that would increase a person's platelet count. Well, now I know how.

So why does this happen? Fresh fruit and vegetable juice is an explosion of bio-available nutrition. Many of us have taken multi-vitamin/minerals before, and based on their labels, these things seem to contain huge quantities of vitamins and minerals. However, what it doesn't say on the label is that you piss out most of those vitamins without your body ever using them. Why? They aren't bioavailable. That is, they are not in a form that your body can digest, or your body doesn't recognize them as the beneficial compounds they are. So, they are simply flushed out of your system without being able to confer any benefits. They simply make your urine a little more expensive.

Not so with the concentrated nutrients in fresh juice. Nothing is more bioavailable than the nutrients you can get from fresh fruit and vegetable juice whether it's vitamins, minerals, antioxidants andother phytochemicals. And to make that juice even healthier, make it PALEO by making sure it doesn't negatively affect your blood sugar!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
I use Nutribullet. Instead of dinner i have a shake with celery, carrots, kale, cucumber, blueberries' banana, and protein powder. Such a huge difference in energy in the morning.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I used to juice with a buddy of mine. He was doing it to lose weight, and I was doing it to keep him to it and because I love juice. The biggest pain for me was peeling and washing all the vegetables, and the cleanup of the machine. It made it frustrating to have to juice 3 times a day. I loved the taste and I felt good drinking it, but I only did it for about 3 weeks before we made the decision to stop because it was too time consuming.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My brother has dropped 30 lbs in the past few months doing this

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
Likwid24
Both of them will be beneficial, but juicing is what really gives your body the nutritional blast. The primary reason is that it removes the fiber, so virtually everything is super easily digestible. One thing to keep in mind though is that you will still need the normal amount of fiber in your diet, so the juice should only be used as a supplement.
If you're trying a juice fast or if you find it difficult to want to take in the recommended fiber you need, you can try a fiber supplement such as chia gel (whole or ground chia seeds soaked in water). There are others, but they have top notch fiber and are very nutritious on their own.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
The other thing to keep in mind is the ridiculous amount of carbs you consume with each drink. For me, the unproven benefits of drinking more juice than we should in a week in one sitting does not outweigh the carb overload. That's just me though.

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
It depends on what you're juicing. If you juice nothing but apples and strawberries you're going to get a lot of sugar and a fairly high glycemic load. However if you are including a lot of vegetables, like kale, collards, celery, etc, then you're not taking in very much carbs at all. Ideally, you would want to manage the glycemic load of the juice you make so as to reduce the insulin response. Glycemic load for most foods can be found on Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
How do you juice kale, spinach, collard and drier type greens? Aren't you actually blending them into a smoothie? I'm assuming you really need both a juicer and a mixer.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
How do you juice kale, spinach, collard and drier type greens? Aren't you actually blending them into a smoothie? I'm assuming you really need both a juicer and a mixer.

One or the other should do the trick. I used to include lettuce, kale, and spinach when I juiced with an actual juicer, but I have also just blended kale and spinach in a blender into a traditional smoothie

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu

Inlikeflint is correct that you can juice them with a juicer or chop them up with a blender. The juicer is preferable. I know it seems like they are dry, but put them through a juicer and you'll get some dark green, rather unpleasant liquid at the end. The trick is to either shoot it, or mix in just enough fruit juice to make it palatable. In my own experience, kale is a very tough leaf so it doesn't blend very well, but spinach, especially baby spinach is soft and so blends very well. One of the health keys when juicing or blending is to resist the urge to fill it with nothing but fruit. While fruit juice is nutritious, it's the juice from the leafy greens that is the real "money" juice, pun intended.

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
I watched a pretty interesting documentary about juicing. At the start of his journey Joe weighs over 300 pounds and is on an assortment of medication for various conditions. He travels across America for 60 days living on nothing but fresh juices in an effort to connect with and inspire others, while turning his own health around. Pretty eye opening. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - Official Film - YouTube

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
I watched a pretty interesting documentary about juicing. At the start of his journey Joe weighs over 300 pounds and is on an assortment of medication for various conditions. He travels across America for 60 days living on nothing but fresh juices in an effort to connect with and inspire others, while turning his own health around. Pretty eye opening. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - Official Film - YouTube

I saw it on Netflix. It's what got me on the juicing kick. To be honest, before it I didn't know the difference between juicing and making smoothies.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Any recommendations about quickly washing vegetables are welcome. I too find juicing too time consuming, although I completely acknowledge the benefits.

Bruh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 31, 2013
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is great

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
Any recommendations about quickly washing vegetables are welcome. I too find juicing too time consuming, although I completely acknowledge the benefits.
Hey buddy. I generally disinfect the kitchen sink, fill it with water and then just dunk the veggies. I'm not too much of a fanatic with washing them. Another option is to buy organic produce, which you don't really need to wash unless it's just to remove dirt or critters.

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
beat juice, kale, lemon, and carrots. Provide great taste and super food qualities.
I'm not really a fan of beat juice, kind of tastes like dirt to me. Though I do use a lot of carrots, cucumbers, granny smith apples, kale and spinach.

Sheldon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 31, 2013
Honolulu
One or the other should do the trick. I used to include lettuce, kale, and spinach when I juiced with an actual juicer, but I have also just blended kale and spinach in a blender into a traditional smoothie
Right now I only juice once a day, usually for breakfast. However I'm deployed right now, so I juice during lunch at the shop. The benefits I immediately reaped were form about 3 or 4 weeks of juicing twice a day. However, with my paleo-style diet that is usually comprised of two large salads a day in addition to a lot of fresh fruit, I'm fairly certain a single juice is enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.