- Joined
- Mar 16, 2015
- Messages
- 66
Rep Bank
$380
$380
User Power: 109%
To start it off, I'll tell you little about my background.
I live in an Eastern Europe, so noone buys "scrub daddy" and "readerest" type of products here. We stick to necessities. Average wage is crappy here - 550 EUR after tax (and you have to pay 200-300EUR for decent 1 bedroom flat). Lots of Russian style businesses (not paying taxes (so they offer unrealistic prices), not paying wages, nasty techniques). So as you can imagine, its not exactly a paradise for starting a business. And its hard to find a niche in a country where there is less than 2 million people and 25% of that people are living with less than 350 EUR a month.
I have worked in different industries, done some very interesting jobs and even managed to start some businesses, but they all failed (I had a roof cleening business and an online electronics store, even tried buying and selling cars). They failed mostly because of the thin margins and lack of knowledge and connections, (and poor business ideas). Unfortunately, I have exactly 0 rich friends or relatives to ask business advice.
On my way to this day, I have taught myself some basic web development skills and even built some websites for small companies. Im not too tech savvy, but I do understand how and why things work.
And, because of lack of business ideas, I have come to conclusion that I have to start a small web development / marketing agency to get some cash flowing and then build our own IT products or services that we could sell. Starting from web development, I could teach myself all the skills I need to build bigger applications or products, and build a team around me.
So my question is, is it smart to start a business in a slowly dying industry, just to take it of the ground and then when that great idea strikes, move to the next level? Because in the end, its not easy to make a lot of money building websites for living, my goal is to create products and services that people will use and enjoy even outside of this country, just know, I'm short of ideas to pursue.
Thank you very much for your advice in advance.
I live in an Eastern Europe, so noone buys "scrub daddy" and "readerest" type of products here. We stick to necessities. Average wage is crappy here - 550 EUR after tax (and you have to pay 200-300EUR for decent 1 bedroom flat). Lots of Russian style businesses (not paying taxes (so they offer unrealistic prices), not paying wages, nasty techniques). So as you can imagine, its not exactly a paradise for starting a business. And its hard to find a niche in a country where there is less than 2 million people and 25% of that people are living with less than 350 EUR a month.
I have worked in different industries, done some very interesting jobs and even managed to start some businesses, but they all failed (I had a roof cleening business and an online electronics store, even tried buying and selling cars). They failed mostly because of the thin margins and lack of knowledge and connections, (and poor business ideas). Unfortunately, I have exactly 0 rich friends or relatives to ask business advice.
On my way to this day, I have taught myself some basic web development skills and even built some websites for small companies. Im not too tech savvy, but I do understand how and why things work.
And, because of lack of business ideas, I have come to conclusion that I have to start a small web development / marketing agency to get some cash flowing and then build our own IT products or services that we could sell. Starting from web development, I could teach myself all the skills I need to build bigger applications or products, and build a team around me.
So my question is, is it smart to start a business in a slowly dying industry, just to take it of the ground and then when that great idea strikes, move to the next level? Because in the end, its not easy to make a lot of money building websites for living, my goal is to create products and services that people will use and enjoy even outside of this country, just know, I'm short of ideas to pursue.
Thank you very much for your advice in advance.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
