The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing all money in high yield income fund?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
TMF advises to invest sitting cash into a high yield income fund that earns no less than 5% it mentions T. Rowe Price in the book which is currently giving a 5.11% tax free return as seen here http://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/snapshot.do?ticker=PRFHX

Is anyone else doing this? Just curious.

LOL.

"Sitting cash."

What's that?

$40,000 to $100,000. $100,000 another $100,000. $300,000, $500,000. $1,000,000... as the song goes.

My cash doesn't "sit."

It's up all night working while I sleep.

And I'm constantly flipping it to lay the foundation for the empire.

What do you do with a brick of cash?

Lay it down next the other brick you just laid.

That's the only way to build a wall.

One brick at a time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
I am talking about folks who are not reinvesting their profits but saving it. This came from the TMF book and I'm curious how many people are doing it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL.

"Sitting cash."

What's that?

$40,000 to $100,000. $100,000 another $100,000. $300,000, $500,000. $1,000,000... as the song goes.

My cash doesn't "sit."

It's up all night working while I sleep.

And I'm constantly flipping it to lay the foundation for the empire.

What do you do with a brick of cash?

Lay it down next the other brick you just laid.

That's the only way to build a wall.

One brick at a time.

This is fine until the wall gets knocked over and you have to start from scratch again. Don't put everything on the wall.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
We are about to start and were looking for tax free muni's / etc. Thanks for the link!

While we could probably leverage the money better in our businesses, want to teach my boys to 'pay yourself first' and diversify 'some' of your earnings.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We are about to start and were looking for tax free muni's / etc. Thanks for the link!

While we could probably leverage the money better in our businesses, want to teach my boys to 'pay yourself first' and diversify 'some' of your earnings.
I have stock in FMN. 6%-7% tax free yield. Have been dollar cost averaging in it for over 10 years. Just something to look at.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

No where in TMF do I advise investing ALL your money in a high yield income fund. A high yield income fund is just one of many options to deploy cash into an income producing return. Those investments alternatives change with the markets and the economy. Such an investment might have been good 5 years ago when I wrote TMF, it might not be now. Diligence doesn't take break. Things change and so do the best options for parking money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not so fun on a day like today when I lost all of my gains for the last 6 months... But overall it works for me.

My growth fund is extremely diversified.

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
Not so fun on a day like today when I lost all of my gains for the last 6 months... But overall it works for me.

My growth fund is extremely diversified.

Markets are so choppy these days that I'm staying totally away! Short term cash only right now. Munis, if you look at the underlying assets... there hardly are any! Gov on all levels is awash in debt and 5% yield ain't cutting it for me. There is a reason why Greek bonds are in the teens %-wise.
Personally, I pefer 20% cash on cash return from a simple rental property.

zr1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
May 25, 2011
I diversify across multiple tax free munis above 5% and a managed portfolio of dividend stocks. Always have cash on hand to balance your emotions during market swings.

I can retire now since I reached my fastlane goal, but the process of creating and building systematized businesses that runs on their own is addictive and can't see myself doing anything else until I die. That in itself is the best reward. Being an entrepreneur for life allows you to print money and enjoy freedom instead of working for it and becoming its slave.

I enjoy living off of the business income only still and never touching the money tree. I would rather continually create passive businesses than touch or live off the money tree because I really enjoy reinvesting and watching my investments grow. The money tree is just my insurance in case for some reason I can't work anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I diversify across multiple tax free munis above 5% and a managed portfolio of dividend stocks.

+1 ... this is pretty much the aim of the money system I describe in TMF... when you part with (invest) your money, always expect a cash return, either monthly or quarterly. I'm not in the game for price appreciation or capital gains. If I lend out cash, I expect a return. If I invest in your business, I expect a dividend.

Today is a good reminder on why the stock market is not how you should be building your wealth empire.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
+1 ... this is pretty much the aim of the money system I describe in TMF... when you part with (invest) your money, always expect a cash return, either monthly or quarterly. I'm not in the game for price appreciation or capital gains. If I lend out cash, I expect a return. If I invest in your business, I expect a dividend.

Today is a good reminder on why the stock market is not how you should be building your wealth empire.

Just when you thought TMF principles couldn't get any more relevant....bam!
Stock gamblers...err investors, if you think this is a buying opportunity you obviously haven't been around for long.
Trees do not grow to the sky.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I have stock in FMN. 6%-7% tax free yield. Have been dollar cost averaging in it for over 10 years. Just something to look at.

You just reinvest the dividend every month or do you spend any of the income ?

Has the yield changed much over 10 years? I'm a little nervous about fluctuations in the yield of muni ETFs.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I diversify across multiple tax free munis above 5% and a managed portfolio of dividend stocks. Always have cash on hand to balance your emotions during market swings.

I can retire now since I reached my fastlane goal, but the process of creating and building systematized businesses that runs on their own is addictive and can't see myself doing anything else until I die. That in itself is the best reward. Being an entrepreneur for life allows you to print money and enjoy freedom instead of working for it and becoming its slave.

I enjoy living off of the business income only still and never touching the money tree. I would rather continually create passive businesses than touch or live off the money tree because I really enjoy reinvesting and watching my investments grow. The money tree is just my insurance in case for some reason I can't work anymore.

Sounds like you have an incredible story of a Fastlane dimension, care to share? :)

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
This was an interesting topic, I'd be curious to see how the high yield income funds have done in such a volatile market.

I'm also curious to see how the yields on closed end muni bond funds change with interest rates . . . To Be Continued :)

tetal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jan 31, 2016
In this low interest rate environment everyone is searching for yield. Personally, I would stay away from municipal/state debt--think Detroit.

The fund invests a substantial portion of assets in below-investment-grade municipal or "junk" bonds and may buy bonds in default as long as they do not exceed 10% of assets.

Bond Maturity Diversification2
as of 01/31/2016
% of Total Net Assets
0 - 1 YRS 3.7%
1 - 5 YRS 5.4%
5 - 10 YRS 6.0%
10 + YRS 84.8%

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders