The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interviewing/hiring developer/designer

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
As I´m located in Mexico I decided to hire someone part time / full time since there are qualified people out there who will work for not much money and I prefer to have someone with experience doing it rather than messing around doing it myself.
The idea is to hire them on a project basis first to see how it works out before actually hiring them.

However I would like to hear input from you guys what kind of questions you ask or what exactly you are looking for when hiring a developer/designer.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
I look for how many years they've been programming, who they've worked with, and their portfolio/bio (if possible, request their resume as well).

I also look at their location, programmers in the US will be much more expensive, but they will be a lot easier to communicate with and based off of their experience, will be able to complete your project fairly quickly with good quality code.

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Do you know enough about code to judge the quality of their work?
For example.. do you ask for a .. peek behind the curtain regarding their portfolio?

Are you look for (and ask questions to find out about) a specific type of person? Self-starter, creative, attention to detail etc.

Do you feel its ok to hire 1 person for both some basic development as well as design or do you feel that the more talented folks out there are either specialized in one (creativity) or the other (structure, engineering)?

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Although right now I'm not accepting freelance projects, I can give you a hand setting up your website and helping you with design and development stuff.

Just FYI, my "formal" skills go from branding/web design and front-end development.

PM me if you like the idea :)

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Forget it. You are not competent enough to hire a programmer. You should find someone who is competent enough and hire them to do the interview for you and hiring for you. You can be there during the interview. You deal with the personality side, they deal with the technical side. Anything else will have you playing with and trying your luck and you most likely will end up in a world of hurt.

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
So i´m not competent enough to hire someone but I am competent enough to hire someone who can hire someone? :D
Appreciate the feedback but it leaves me with empty hands.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
So i´m not competent enough to hire someone but I am competent enough to hire someone who can hire someone? :D
Appreciate the feedback but it leaves me with empty hands.
someone you might know who is busy and doesn't have the time to work for you or you can't afford to pay.

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
I´ll give it some thought.
I may know someone and will call to see if I can have a quick coffee to discuss.

Naneth

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 30, 2011
You should know how to screen your applicants. Don't hire if you don't know what your looking for because you will be wasting your time and resources on incompetent and unskillful people. If you know someone who knows about designing ask a favor and let him screen the applicants for you. Though there are job sites that are really posting credible and legitimate staffs that can do the job you still need to be sure about what you really need. Okay? :smxF:

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Great page Naneth.
Problem is that right now I cannot afford someone full-time (I can but I dont want to risk wasting resources while I´m still trying to figure things out).
I´m looking for someone working 15ish hours/week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.