The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interesting new laser engraver on Kickstarter

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Just found this interesting kickstarter campaign for a handheld laser engraver.

I haven't looked into it too much, but it looks pretty neat. They claim it can cut wood and acrylic up to 5 mm thick, engrave at high speed, with a max width of 2 meters.

The portability aspect is also interesting as you could possibly offer mobile engraving services and you can engrave on larger objects like dog houses, bicycles, doors etc.

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Harp66742

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 11, 2021
Sheboygan, WI
A 5w laser isn't very powerful. It may be able to engrave up to 5 mm but that's just a surface burn basically. In order to cut through that thickness you would need at least a 20w laser or more if you want any kind of speed out of it. Then there is the issue of ventilation.

Cool idea though!

Potven

Build products people love to use
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 27, 2017
Prague, Czech Republic, EU
I highly doubt that 5W diode laser (I would guestimate that the real power is ~3W) can cut 5mm in reasonable time. I have 20W diode and 50W CO2 at home and while the diode is good for smaller jobs it is ~10x slower than the CO2 in any job (etching and cutting) and incomparable overall. I've been providing services in "mobile engraving" but although it has been quite in demand it was way too much time consuming (=expensive for clients) so we stopped to provide it and focus on in-house work on larger/faster lasers.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 5

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics