The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

intellectual property rights help

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
okay so we ran into a little trouble after we have had our 3d CAD files created. so basically here is a bit of the shortened story:

we have a contact in india (who we will call V) who is bestfriends with a man that owns his own manufacturing company and is also an mechanical aided engineer (who we will call J). Since we were so young V said he would get the files created for free for us, because he knows what it is like to be young and an entrepreneur as he was. So J laser scanned a few things for us and then created our files. J gave the files to V because we had been doing all the contacting with V, but J would not let V release the files without us first paying $600 for them. We originally planned on tooling and manufacturing with J's company, who quoted us at $4000. So he said we will have to pay the $600 to get the files but that will be deducted from the tooling quote so we will only pay $3400 for the tooling when the time comes around.

We had found way cheaper prices in china so we decided to take our tooling and manufacturing over there. So we needed to get the files without paying the $600. We spoke with him about the matter because he originally said it would be free without us having to commit to using his company for tooling. So i told him that those werent the original plans and we didnt want to have to pay the $600 because initially he said we didnt have to and it would also cause us to have to draw a bank loan out way earlier than we were planning to do. So after some talk and some convincing he turned the files over to me and said this quote on quote: (which i have printed out)

"I wish you the best in your entrepreneurship...
Once upon I started just like you...
So I am enclosing the .step files with this series of mail...
If you tool elsewhere, I will compensate [J] for his laser scanning."

So a few weeks had passed as we were trying to build up money to go into our next round of prototyping. But V had vigorously emailed me demanding I send him the $600 I owe him for the laser scanning. I told him I was not going to pay this because he stated it was free originally and when he gave the files he stated that he would pay if we go elsewhere. He told me that if I do not pay he will take me down in lawsuits and costs me thousands of dollars. So I spoke to our lawyer and he said just to ignore him because there is nothing he can do over $600, plus he would not be successful anyways. So I took his advice and just blocked his email so I would no longer receive his emails.

V also told us that if we use the files for anything he will also take us down for intellectual property theft because the files are not our work.

We are now going into our second round of prototyping and need to know if it is legal for us to use the files since he provided them for us and gave them up freely? Would this be intellectual property theft?

Thanks for the help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
First, it sounds like V was trying to help, overcommited and got bit. It wouldn't be an issue if you went with J, but you're not going to.

From a legal standpoint, I can't help. I suspect there's no way anyone can know if you used his .step files or not, because you could easily claim to have gotten your prototype rescanned elsewhere, but I can't say for sure.

From an ethical standpoint, you need to make V whole. Whether he agreed to free, or to compensate J, it's clear he's taken a bullet for you.

If you really need to use that .step file, negotiate a deal with V in writing. Pay him his $600, agree to installments, or agree to a reduced settlement. Don't let $600 stop you from doing the right thing. Nobody should get burned trying to help.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Nobody can give you legal advice over an internet forum. If the information they provided you turned out to be bad, you could sue them. So, you're not going to get a legal opinion from anyone on this forum. I personally would pay the $600 and then use the existing files, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
You got your free law advice. Anything more you'll pay for. If you're too strapped to pay V or pay a lawyer, the safe bet is to assume you don't have property rights to the file.

Check out DAVID 3D Scanner for a way to build your own laser scanner. This will output a number of file formats which can be imported into SolidWorks, among other programs. There's ways to get this done.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
what would I have to do to get legal advice from a lawyer? I have spoke with one regarding what I should do about his threats to sue and he said to just ignore him, so thats what I did. He did not ever respond to my question about the property rights.

To get an answer from a lawyer your going to have to pay one. Probably a lot more than $600. I would pay the guy. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it will put the whole situation to rest real quick. I'm sure your pretty stressed out about it and you probably will feel guilt if you beat the guy. Paying the $600 will resolve both problems. Not paying him will only cause more headache for you and for him.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
For $600 since he helped you out originally, I would just pay him off the original price of $600 and then you never have to worry about him again. it will take a lot of stress out of your life and unless you have a really good friend who is a lawyer and you really need legal advice, it will cost you a lot more money. Just my opinion as I am not a lawyer.

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
not sure if you are allowed to answer this but. Do intellectual property rights protect CAD files?

I assume it would be an industrial design and this is what I read about them:

Owners of protected designs must be able to prevent the manufacture, sale or importation of articles bearing or embodying a design which is a copy of the protected design.

im only 16 so im not sure if im interpreting it correctly but does that mean that because he gave me the design he no longer has property rights to it because he cannot prevent the manufacture or sale of it. Especially since he gave the files to me and they were not stolen.

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
Patents, industrial designs, integrated circuit designs, geographical indications and trademarks have to be registered in order to receive protection.

You probably cant help out much with the above post I assume. So could you atleast be able to answer if 3D CAD files would be categorized as an industrial design?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.