The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Instagram sued over TOS change

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Instagram sued over its new terms of service — Tech News and Analysis

TERMS change brings class-action lawsuit.

Lots of interesting things to discuss here, and not just legally...

If customers do not agree with Defendant’s scheme, they can cancel their profile with Instagram. However, upon canceling, customers forfeit all right to retrieve the Property that was previously entrusted to Instagram, which retains rights thereto in perpetuity. In short, Instagram declares that ‘possession is nine-tenths of the law and if you don’t like it, you can’t stop us.’”

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Instagram sued over its new terms of service — Tech News and Analysis

TERMS change brings class-action lawsuit.

Lots of interesting things to discuss here, and not just legally...

If customers do not agree with Defendant’s scheme, they can cancel their profile with Instagram. However, upon canceling, customers forfeit all right to retrieve the Property that was previously entrusted to Instagram, which retains rights thereto in perpetuity. In short, Instagram declares that ‘possession is nine-tenths of the law and if you don’t like it, you can’t stop us.’”

I understand that thoroughly reading terms of service is a pain, but this just shows that all of these "free" apps, websites, services, that we use for all sorts of things, all come with catches.

It just comes down to whether or not the trade-off is worth it. With Instagram specifically, there was an article a few months ago about how photos shared with the service technically belonged to the site (or so they said). After I learned this, I thought to myself that it wasn't worth getting an Instagram account.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
There's so many things I love about the net-there's so much I've been able to do/get that is beyond what has ever been possible, but one thing I don't like is some of the "intrusion factors" and sly tactics.

Its been interesting to see how its developed so far, but I forget how this "medium" is still truly in its infancy and it'll be interesting (for good and bad) how it matures.

It just comes down to whether or not the trade-off is worth it. With Instagram specifically, there was an article a few months ago about how photos shared with the service technically belonged to the site (or so they said). After I learned this, I thought to myself that it wasn't worth getting an Instagram account.

I believe Facebook may be similar, and if I recall they keep everything -every deleted message and so on. That's a lot of knowledge (and power) I guess. I don't like the big brother side of things, or how whims in policy changes with some of these companies can leave people exposed. And if this knowledge was able to be accessed by certain people the consequences could be severe for society.

On the other hand the wild west nature of the net (slowly decreasing?) has many advantages/opportunities for aspiring TMFers and creativity

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.