• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

Indie game empires common?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by loop101, Jul 14, 2018.

1. loop101

loop101 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $381
    A friend of mine was telling me about a guy that makes indie games. The gamemaker makes little PC games that earn (through direct sales) $1k-$10k per year. He's been doing it for 5 years. His combined annual earnings are now in the non-trivial realm. I can't mention the gamemaker, but I was wondering if this is a common business form. It seems to meet all the Fastlane criteria.

2. MooreMillions

MooreMillions Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $180
    Not sure, but this is the first I have ever heard of it.

3. MHP368

MHP368 the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,065
    Someone is , go lookup the cut steam takes and then find some games in the 10 to 20 dollar range and slap them into steamspy.

Dozens of games ive never heard of with 5 figure downloads in 6 months to a year.

Steam users bjy stuff during the steam sales , play it once and forget about it no problem. Its a saturated market sure but looking at user reviews too , appqrently a developer pulling 100k from a game after steams cut for a stinker is not uncommon

Makes one wonder what an outsourced game dev team would run , maybe hire someone stateside to keep tabs on things , 10 grand? 20?

4. Dramolion

Dramolion New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    The "common" business model in gaming is to make a big hit game and make all or most of it's revenue in the first year, during which new competing games with better graphics take over their sales.
    This is a high-risk business model, which is why some developers rather make games for publishers, who back them financially, and thus are no longer "indie," this happens almost exclusively in the high price segment of the market.

Xeon likes this.
  5. loop101

loop101 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $381
    Here is an interview with the guy who makes the "Clutter" games. The first one made $50k, so he made another one which also made $50k, for a total of $100k his second year. So he made a third Clutter game. Now he as 7 games. He doesn't work for a distributor, but he has 12 distributors that work for him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcQ47gblnc

MHP368 and Xeon like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.