The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing from China

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

thespotnet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 21, 2012
Victor, Idaho
Hi Blue,

It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your provider. Would you mind PMing me the name? I have had some issues in the past and I am looking to get some custom t-shirts designed.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skywayne

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 12, 2012
Hey Blue, I wonder if you could give us an update on how the import business is coming along. In one of your last threads, you said that you had tried three different methods of having goods shipped from China to the U.S. I'm wondering which method you found to be the most effective and cost efficient. If you could give an overview/blueprint of your process, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm just about to pull the trigger on having some things manufactured. Thanks for your insight and this thread.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
Time for another update.

I have sold 89 of the 100 pieces that I imported. Back in July I placed another order for 200 more. The 200 aren't here yet, but I have 9 sold on backorder already. Last week I decided to order an additional 200 more, so I have 400 coming in in the next 2 months. I hope that it will be enough to get me through Xmas.

I'm using a new shipping method and my China supplier is telling me that all prices are included except customs tax. We'll see if that is truly the case.

I am now retailing and wholesaling my stuff. Obviously I prefer retail because I make so much more per sale. Wholesale orders are accounting for about 20% of the orders.
whats your scheme for wholesale and retail?
do your self-retail price higher than retail-from-wholesale?

rscully5

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 25, 2010
U should go to visit your supplier in China.
This is extremely good advice. If you have the time. You should go and visit your supplier. See what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong. Good luck Blue.

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010
Hey Blue, I wonder if you could give us an update on how the import business is coming along. In one of your last threads, you said that you had tried three different methods of having goods shipped from China to the U.S. I'm wondering which method you found to be the most effective and cost efficient. If you could give an overview/blueprint of your process, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm just about to pull the trigger on having some things manufactured. Thanks for your insight and this thread.

It's been a while on here. I am importing from 3 different factories now. I import a shipment every 3 months and have been selling out most of the time. I need to get better at planning my orders ahead of time because of the long lead time. Sometimes I go out of stock for 2 months which is a bad thing.

I am actually shipping many different methods now. I just ship whichever way my factory wants. Basically you pay for 4 things.

1) shipping your product from the factory to its closest port
2) shipping your product overseas to a US Port
3) customs paperwork fees and duties
4) shipping your product from a US Port to your warehouse

On some shipments I pay my factory for shipping #1 and a freight forwarder (customs broker) for 2,3 and 4. On some shipments I pay my factory for shipping 1,3 and 4. Then I pay my forwarder for 3.

You can do it however you want to. I just go with whatever way my factory likes to do it to keep things simple.

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010
whats your scheme for wholesale and retail?
do your self-retail price higher than retail-from-wholesale?

I sell retail and the same price that other stores sell for retail. I used to sell higher than retail to drive traffic to my wholesale customers, but now I just compete with them on a level basis.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010
This is extremely good advice. If you have the time. You should go and visit your supplier. See what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong. Good luck Blue.

I still haven't visited a factory yet. I do have quality issues every once in a while. I take photos and email them to China. They take steps to quality control the products before they ship the next shipment. I have asked for discounts due to quality and they have been pretty good in giving me credit and discounts for defective products.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.