Not sure where this post should go, so welcome to the landfill. (Edit: Couldn't post in Landfill because prefix selector unavailable. Even the forum is a work in progress!)
I'd like to share a few thoughts that I ran across today as I was "shucking" an oyster. It made me realize how every part of your life is usually handled in a similar way. When you operate a model that works for you, you start to get amazing results.
Let me put everything into context so it doesn't get confusing.
Today, I received a delivery of oysters. In the past, I only had them at buffets where they're already prepared. This time was from a grocery delivery company. I was so focused on eating the oysters that when I ordered them I forgot about the shell and cutting them out. I didn't have an oyster knife so i just used a common table knife.
How the hell does this relate to success and entrepreneurship? The way that you handle challenges, the process that leads to the result, unexpected turn of events, and how fast you get moving.
Obviously this isn't rocket science, but only a couple of years ago I would've probably hesitated, got irritated, and moved nowhere closer to the desired result.
Today, I simply went on Google, searched how to eat raw oyster, and found some articles. Read what they had to say, and attempted it.
Let me tell you what happened. The washing with water was pretty simple - I've washed things plenty of times in the past. The opening shell part, I had never done before. On the first oyster, I had no frickin idea where to point my knife. The article said to look for an oddly shaped crevice and flip open the shell from there. It took me 5 minutes to get the first one open. I broke the shell here and there but finally managed to flip it open. Did the article say parts of the shell might crack off? Nope. But it happened. The oyster was not harmed. I loved opening the shell, it was fun. I placed him on the plate and cut a lemon to squeeze.
On to the second oyster. This one was a tougher animal. It was bigger than the one before and the crevice was not so easy to see. Did the article say what to do when the crevice isnt clear? Nope. I decided to just follow the opening line to what seemed like a good place to dig. Push push, nothing happened. Pointed the knife a little lower and pushed it with a bit more force. Got past the shell, flipped the shell open and cut the oyster. This one took a bit longer, but I felt like I was the oyster king of the world. I knew nothing could stop me. I would find the way, even when the articles don't give complete details. Now, the third oyster. He knew he was in trouble. It took me maybe 15 seconds to open him, squeeze some lemon, and enjoy the oyster I'd been dreaming about. There's more oysters, but l will save those stories for my later stomach.
Key takeaways from the oyster:
- Businesses come in different shapes and forms, no book will provide all the answers
- Nobody knows the best way to do things, because there is ALWAYS a better way, you just have to do the best you can
- Mistakes are going to be made, when it is - there is progress. You know what doesn't work
- Don't let what you fail to do make you doubt your abilities, that is wasted time
- Speed is as important as doing good research. If I continued to read for 1 hour, I wouldn't have the oyster till at least 1 hour later. Who knows how easy I could've had that oyster without reading?
- Nothing is set in stone, everything is a work in progress, oyster in my tummy, getting digested.
P.S. really delicious oyster. 😀
I'd like to share a few thoughts that I ran across today as I was "shucking" an oyster. It made me realize how every part of your life is usually handled in a similar way. When you operate a model that works for you, you start to get amazing results.
Let me put everything into context so it doesn't get confusing.
Today, I received a delivery of oysters. In the past, I only had them at buffets where they're already prepared. This time was from a grocery delivery company. I was so focused on eating the oysters that when I ordered them I forgot about the shell and cutting them out. I didn't have an oyster knife so i just used a common table knife.
How the hell does this relate to success and entrepreneurship? The way that you handle challenges, the process that leads to the result, unexpected turn of events, and how fast you get moving.
Obviously this isn't rocket science, but only a couple of years ago I would've probably hesitated, got irritated, and moved nowhere closer to the desired result.
Today, I simply went on Google, searched how to eat raw oyster, and found some articles. Read what they had to say, and attempted it.
Let me tell you what happened. The washing with water was pretty simple - I've washed things plenty of times in the past. The opening shell part, I had never done before. On the first oyster, I had no frickin idea where to point my knife. The article said to look for an oddly shaped crevice and flip open the shell from there. It took me 5 minutes to get the first one open. I broke the shell here and there but finally managed to flip it open. Did the article say parts of the shell might crack off? Nope. But it happened. The oyster was not harmed. I loved opening the shell, it was fun. I placed him on the plate and cut a lemon to squeeze.
On to the second oyster. This one was a tougher animal. It was bigger than the one before and the crevice was not so easy to see. Did the article say what to do when the crevice isnt clear? Nope. I decided to just follow the opening line to what seemed like a good place to dig. Push push, nothing happened. Pointed the knife a little lower and pushed it with a bit more force. Got past the shell, flipped the shell open and cut the oyster. This one took a bit longer, but I felt like I was the oyster king of the world. I knew nothing could stop me. I would find the way, even when the articles don't give complete details. Now, the third oyster. He knew he was in trouble. It took me maybe 15 seconds to open him, squeeze some lemon, and enjoy the oyster I'd been dreaming about. There's more oysters, but l will save those stories for my later stomach.
Key takeaways from the oyster:
- Businesses come in different shapes and forms, no book will provide all the answers
- Nobody knows the best way to do things, because there is ALWAYS a better way, you just have to do the best you can
- Mistakes are going to be made, when it is - there is progress. You know what doesn't work
- Don't let what you fail to do make you doubt your abilities, that is wasted time
- Speed is as important as doing good research. If I continued to read for 1 hour, I wouldn't have the oyster till at least 1 hour later. Who knows how easy I could've had that oyster without reading?
- Nothing is set in stone, everything is a work in progress, oyster in my tummy, getting digested.
P.S. really delicious oyster. 😀
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
