The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea protection?

Idea threads

JP66

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 22, 2010
Let's say I have an idea for a product that is food based. If I come up with the idea, is it a product that is open for anyone to make/sell as well? For example, someone came up with the idea of peanut butter. Since there are many brands/types of peanut butter, does the guy who invented peanut butter still get paid? (Not sure how to say it otherwise). What about the guy who decided to make peanut butter crunchy? Does he get paid if someone else makes a crunchy peanut butter, and then the guy who had the idea for regular peanut butter also get paid again? Another example, let's say I came up with the idea for apple juice, and then try to manufacture and sell it. Can someone like TreeTop come along with more money than I have and also make apple juice, and then use their money to advertise and sell way more than I could, and put me out of business, or does TreeTop have to pay me if they want to make apple juice. Is there a way to copyright or protect my idea from someone else doing the same thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
It really all depends on what the idea is. If it is something that no one has ever tasted/discovered before or something that requires a specific manufacturing process, then you are good to go.

Peanut butter, for example, is probably not a good example of someone collecting royalties off of the idea. Just as there are no billionaire heirs to the caveman who chiseled out the first wheel. When it comes to intellectual property, there are criteria based on the exclusivity of the idea.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the manufacturing process can be the real money maker of the idea. Just as you mentioned the "crunchy peanut butter" variation, the best example I can think of is ice-cream. There are thousands of places making ice cream every day, from nationally known brands to your local dairies. However, the idea of Dippin Dots was a patented variation on manufacturing that made it an amazing cash-cow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your formula would be your brand. Think about it, Coke has been around for years and it has many competitors -- but it still is different and has yet to be copied.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Peanut butter, for example, is probably not a good example of someone collecting royalties off of the idea.

George Washington Carver - Wikipedia

"He is often credited with the invention of Peanut Butter, a claim that has been cited in American schools and educational programs for decades. While he may have made peanut butter during his time studying the peanut, peanut butter has existed since the time of the Aztecs who made it from ground peanuts."

Either way, one of his principles of life was his rejection of economic materialism, thus the many innovations he made probably wouldn't have been for financial purposes, much like Jonas Salk, the inventor of the Polio vaccine ;)

But as both responses state it's in the branding and marketing, much like ANY invention, the U.S. patent office is full of great ideas with patents that never made their inventors rich b/c they didn't finish the entire process, a great book to read is: From Patent to Profit by Bob DeMatteis- he invented the t-shirt style plastic shopping bag and has several other patents, however, he explains that you need a TEAM- creative(YOU), sales, marketing and legal

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.