The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea feedback: Inventory Management System

Idea threads

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
Hi everyone,

I have been working on an idea which is creating a better inventory management system for all kinds of businesses, but it will benefit smaller businesses more and here's why it will work:

* It is easy to use
* It takes less time to get the right information
* Allows better inventory management
* Pulls out visual charts that explain the current inventory process
* Predicts if there is good handling or not according to user parameters

What do you guys think of this concept or idea? Any kind of feedback is appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi everyone,

I have been working on an idea which is creating a better inventory management system for all kinds of businesses, but it will benefit smaller businesses more and here's why it will work:

* It is easy to use

What do you guys think of this concept or idea? Any kind of feedback is appreciated!
I have a system. It's called an inventory list (in Excel), a pencil, and a clipboard that hangs on a nail at the entrance to our materials storage building. When they use something, they note it on my inventory list. When I replenish the supplies, I update my list on my computer from the old list updated with my purchases, and then I reprint it. And we start over again with our pencil and clipboard.

When I was in retail, they managed their inventory with barcodes on every item and POS (point of sale) registers. Some of those systems automatically order inventory for them based on sales. We went from the old cash registers to the POS systems in the early 1970s.

You might be a little late to this party.

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
When I was in retail, they managed their inventory with barcodes on every item and POS (point of sale) registers. Some of those systems automatically order inventory for them based on sales. We went from the old cash registers to the POS systems in the early 1970s.
I understand, were there any other issues at your workplace that hasn't been solved by modern technologies?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I understand, were there any other issues at your workplace that hasn't been solved by modern technologies?
Like?

Most retail and manufacturing businesses are totally automated.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a trophy wife for a man in the food industry. They were one of the first industries to have totally automated manufacturing facilities. I've been in many of them and helped him set up new food lines. The current robot trends are amazing. They even order their own parts that are failing.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Here's another thought. When NASA sent men into space, they were trying to make an electric razor so men could shave their faces with no gravity. They spent boatloads of money on the project. Nothing worked. When they asked the astronauts for their solutions, one of them went to his locker. He came back with some shaving cream and his razor. He lathered up and shaved his face without a problem in the no-gravity situation. Sometimes we don't need a new system. For the moment, my list, pencil, and clipboard are working fine for me.

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone,

* It is easy to use

Apologise me, I don't want to sound like "that guy" but unless you come up with some kind of AI integration that does the whole managment under pre-set parameters for the user, you have describe something that exist and does not solve any problem.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Inventory management / stock control has been done so many times for so many businesses you'd need to have something very special to make yours stand out from the crowd. What will that be? "Easy to use" and "better inventory management" are pretty generic terms - the software I wrote in the mid-90s to look after our inventory was easy to use, and "better" than the system we were using before. And after, come to that.

Here's another thought. When NASA sent men into space, they were trying to make an electric razor so men could shave their faces with no gravity. They spent boatloads of money on the project. Nothing worked. When they asked the astronauts for their solutions, one of them went to his locker. He came back with some shaving cream and his razor. He lathered up and shaved his face without a problem in the no-gravity situation. Sometimes we don't need a new system. For the moment, my list, pencil, and clipboard are working fine for me.

Just for a minute I thought that was going to be the story about NASA spending loads of money developing a ballpoint pen that works in space, while the USSR just used pencils. Oh well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How? What does this even mean? Less clicks?
How? This makes no sense.
Why would I even need this? I know my process.
Again. No idea what this means.

And yes I have a large warehouse.

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
What problem are you trying to solve?
The problem isn't 100% fleshed out but I was planning to make this system for the manufacturing industry since it is an area I am currently working right now. I might need to do market segmentation to verify if the idea is viable and if not, check if there are problems that other businesses haven't solved yet.

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
Apologise me, I don't want to sound like "that guy" but unless you come up with some kind of AI integration that does the whole managment under pre-set parameters for the user, you have describe something that exist and does not solve any problem.
Thanks for the feedback, I am considering two options before continuing this idea:

1. Do market segmentation and understand what the client truly wants, that is, what problems other businesses haven't solved for them yet.
2. Integrate AI into the system but it will probably be more than a gimmick rather than something that will really differentiate from the competition.

I'm currently leaning into option 1 and see if there are any issues unsolved in the manufacturing industry.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.