The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need advise from sellers who take their product's pics themselves, please

Marketing, social media, advertising
S

stranger

I need in a cheap new photocamera to take photos of my products for my E-Commerce store. I sell different collectibles. I'm not a photographer, and there're so many cameras are selling around. I can only spend $200-250 on camera.
What cameras do you use taking photos for your E-Commerce stores?
Hope getting your suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The ideal thing would be to get an older canon or nikon DSLR and a nice lense with a macro setting depending on the product. Then you can invest in a lighting mechanism that lets you change the angle of flash or change the way your camera interacts with the lighting you set up.

It really comes down to lighting with product photos.

edit: something like this would work perfect for you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-2...-Lens-and-neck-strap-/300809349648#vi-content

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
I agree, you definitely need a canon or nikon something that allows you to change light settings, exposure, white balance etc (something with a manual setting). I would suggest an 18-55mm lens, especially if you need detailed close-ups.

A good camera is important, but LIGHTING is just as important. The type of lightbulb you use is a maker/breaker of your photos. Make sure to use daylight bulbs, they give you a cool temp and they are perfectly suited for digital photography. I use 45 Watt 5000k CFL Daylight Photo Bulbs.
What kind of background do you want? If you want a white background, you should think about making a lightbox. They are relatively easy and cheap, just some basic things (fabric or paper, a frame) are needed. The lightbox will help diffuse the light, making it softer and less glaring, I think it also makes it easier to take a clear, detailed photo.

Well, I could go on and on, but I think that could get really boring! Hope this helps!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I can echo what the others said - lighting is extremely important.

Do you have an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5? The camera on that is probably good enough to get you by (seriously) until you can invest in a decent Camera Body, Lens, and lighting equipment. My work is thinking about getting a studio setup and it will probably cost us $3-4k, FYI.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I can echo what the others said - lighting is extremely important.

Do you have an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5? The camera on that is probably good enough to get you by (seriously) until you can invest in a decent Camera Body, Lens, and lighting equipment. My work is thinking about getting a studio setup and it will probably cost us $3-4k, FYI.

A phone camera might be ok, but it wont allow you to deal with true colors well enough. With an older DSLR or anything that you can adjust the settings on, you can make a set up for well under $1k using sheets and lamps from around the house and using resources.

In fact there is quite a bit on the web in regards to ebay product shooting as inexpensive as possible. Depending on the product size the camera/lens may be the only thing you need to buy.

bkypes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 25, 2011
Grand Rapids, Mi
Go with an iPhone. My brother and I have been using a 4s to take all of our product pictures, aside from a select few his photographer buddy took for us. What Jamillah said is true about lighting as well. All I use is a screw in florescent bulb that I let heat up for 10 or so minutes before taking the picture and I have a white poster board tapped to my desk and curved up to the wall. It is a really cheap set up but it works great for us with a little bit of photoshopping. You will need to find the whitest paper possible though. It's super easy to find small white paper but I've had a decently hard time finding white poster board that is flexible, if it's an slight off white the pictures won't look as good.

TriZkiT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2011
@bkypes I hear that buddy use used from time to time is sick!

You can find "flexible" 24x36 white cardboard at any HobbyLobby or Michaels/Joanne Fabrics pretty cheep. Anywhere that you can go for scrap booking... I frequent the 99cents store and they often have poster board there too... If you happen to have a Hobby Lobby near you, def google 'hobby lobby coupon' first and then you can get an extra 40% off your purchase.

IF the products are small you def don't need a full studio set up, and also if the images themselves are not needed in a large format the 8mp camera on an iPhone can make do all day long.

The most important thing is the lighting. If you are shooting with your iPhone or a DSLR you have to have all the same bulb/color temp otherwise you will come out with a complete coloration nightmare. So 2 desk lamps and some foam core can work wonders...

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I could be wrong, but I would have taken their advice and gotten a used dslr. You can get one in near mint condition for under 300 bucks. That with a lightbox should be good. I've been using a point and shoot and while its decent if you know how to use it, I can't see any disadvantages to buying a used dslr as its a long-term investment and if you're going to spend $100 bucks might as well fork out the extra money.

Now, I'm just speaking from my experience. Get to know your point and shoot well and learn to utilize the macro function when possible and you should be able to take sufficient pictures.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Follow the mainstream.

The only advice I can give is, if you're marketing towards 15 - 28 year olds. Use instagram.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Go to a local college that has a great photography program and they will do it for free... tell them its for a growing website. I helped a friend do that for a video one time with 20k worth of video equipment, he ended up giving the two kids $250 bucks for what companies wanted $7,500 to produce and that was the lowest quote. They also self scripted the whole thing which was pretty damn good. The two kids "borrowed" the equipment for the day. That video went on Television. Guess where that other $7,250 went....... where it matters. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Entourage has a good idea too depending on what the product is.. if its something trendy like clothing that's actually a great idea.

Now go get it done.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
OK. I've just bought Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS from ebay.

Seriously? That isn't going to help you take better pictures. It's a regular photo and shoot with no options. Can you adjust aperture? shutter speed? It seems like you just don't like to listen to people on here.

Lighting is more important than the camera. Assuming you are selling small products, you should have bought this for $60.
Deluxe Table Top Photo Studio Photo Light Box Sell on eBay | eBay

Or this:
48" x Large Photo Light Tent Cube Soft Box 120cm New Bag and Colors Background | eBay

plus this:
Julius Studio Photography Light Kit w Photo Day Light Bulb Photo Lighting JR117 | eBay

for $70

Then use your phone camera. I will bet that those pics will be better than what you take with your new camera.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The ideal thing would be to get an older canon or nikon DSLR and a nice lense with a macro setting depending on the product. Then you can invest in a lighting mechanism that lets you change the angle of flash or change the way your camera interacts with the lighting you set up.

It really comes down to lighting with product photos.

Chris,

You don't need a flash on your camera. You just need a couple of soft lights on the side, maybe one in back.

Something like this is perfect.

Photo Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kits with Carrying Case, 675 Watt Output

For the background, get this.

Adoram Seamless Background Paper, 53" wide x 12 yards, Super White, #93 12952

Done, a complete photo studio for under $100.

To give you an idea of how photos look. These were taken with my iphone and no retouching (except for the watermark)

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 113
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 128

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I need in a cheap new photocamera to take photos of my products for my E-Commerce store. I sell different collectibles. I'm not a photographer, and there're so many cameras are selling around. I can only spend $200-250 on camera.
What cameras do you use taking photos for your E-Commerce stores?
Hope getting your suggestions.
Frankly, there are smartphones that take better pictures than a digital camera.

Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy...whoever has the brand and/or pricing you want, you can get a camera sub $200 easy.

I use a Kodak and my pictures come out crisp.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Chris,

You don't need a flash on your camera. You just need a couple of soft lights on the side, maybe one in back.

Something like this is perfect.

Photo Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kits with Carrying Case, 675 Watt Output

For the background, get this.

Adoram Seamless Background Paper, 53" wide x 12 yards, Super White, #93 12952

Done, a complete photo studio for under $100.

To give you an idea of how photos look. These were taken with my iphone and no retouching (except for the watermark)

Ahh very cool. I didn't know those soft umbrella lights were so cheap. I figured to go the cheap route you could use home lamps and sheets and maybe a light to bounce off the ceiling. This lamps are probably cheaper for two then a good DSLR flash, so that is a much better route.

Sounds like all the advice was a waste for teh OP but very useful to other members!

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I second biophase's suggestion. A simple camera phone will do a great job given an environment with controlled lighting.

Also consider the use of post processing if you cannot tweak all of the necessary settings in-camera. Personally, I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom, but there are fantastic 100% free alternatives as well. For instance, GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program is a great open-source alternative to Photoshop. It's great for things like white balance correction, color correction, contrast, levels, and many more advanced options to supplement your P&S camera.

S

stranger

Seriously? That isn't going to help you take better pictures. It's a regular photo and shoot with no options. Can you adjust aperture? shutter speed? It seems like you just don't like to listen to people on here.

Lighting is more important than the camera. Assuming you are selling small products, you should have bought this for $60.
Deluxe Table Top Photo Studio Photo Light Box Sell on eBay | eBay

Or this:
48" x Large Photo Light Tent Cube Soft Box 120cm New Bag and Colors Background | eBay

plus this:
Julius Studio Photography Light Kit w Photo Day Light Bulb Photo Lighting JR117 | eBay

for $70

Then use your phone camera. I will bet that those pics will be better than what you take with your new camera.
I listen to people and respect their opinions/suggestions. And it's why I ask my questions. Should i always follow to their advice?
I bought that camera because i saw pics that were taken with it.
Ok, i won't ask anything any more.
Good luck.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I was waiting to see what biophase said. I think his product shots are excellent.

I listen to people and respect their opinions/suggestions. And it's why I ask my questions. Should i always follow to their advice?
I bought that camera because i saw pics that were taken with it.
Good luck.

You asked for suggestions in the first post, and then did something no one recommended.

Leave nothing to luck.

S

stranger

You asked for suggestions in the first post, and then did something no one recommended.

Leave nothing to luck.
Do you always do things someone recommends you here?
Ok, my mistake was, i asked the question and then i didn't accept the suggestions. PEOPLE, I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T USE YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND SPENT MY MONEY ON BULSHIT.
Is it ok for you now?

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
If you don't want to deal with this stuff, find a photographer on craigslist. They charge 40-$150/hour and usually only takes 1 to 2 hours.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I listen to people and respect their opinions/suggestions. And it's why I ask my questions. Should i always follow to their advice? I bought that camera because i saw pics that were taken with it.

Good luck.

That's the point. You asked for advice about taking photos and everyone made a suggestion and tried to educate you and you went ahead and bought a camera based on what? Photos that you saw that it took? If you were going to base your buying decision on that, why ask a question here? Anyone can go shopping on Ebay and fall prey to marketing propaganda.

You missed the entire point in that the quality of the photo is largely dependent on lighting. Let me ask you if you know what lighting was used in the photo that you saw it took? If not, you cannot duplicate the photo.

You can choose not to listen to advice here. I am responding to this thread with my advice because I know that it will help others who have the same questions. I've been where you were, 3 years ago, taking shitty pictures and erasing the background to make them look like product shots.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
That's the point. You asked for advice about taking photos and everyone made a suggestion and tried to educate you and you went ahead and bought a camera based on what? Photos that you saw that it took? If you were going to base your buying decision on that, why ask a question here? Anyone can go shopping on Ebay and fall prey to marketing propaganda.

You missed the entire point in that the quality of the photo is largely dependent on lighting. Let me ask you if you know what lighting was used in the photo that you saw it took? If not, you cannot duplicate the photo.

You can choose not to listen to advice here. I am responding to this thread with my advice because I know that it will help others who have the same questions. I've been where you were, 3 years ago, taking shitty pictures and erasing the background to make them look like product shots.

My thoughts exactly. I am too succinct to type all that for someone that doesn't listen.

S

stranger

This forum isn't a single place in the Internet. I asked my that question on other forums as well. I just borrowed a camera from my friend took some photos and i liked it. And then i ordered the same camera.
Sorry if i offended whose self-respect.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This forum isn't a single place in the Internet. I asked my that question on other forums as well. I just borrowed a camera from my friend took some photos and i liked it. And then i ordered the same camera.
Sorry if i offended whose self-respect.

What did the other forums tell you to do? Did they tell you to go out and buy a $150 point and shoot within a day?

The point I am trying to make hear is that hopefully you came away learning something about photography. You asked a question that was going in the wrong direction. If you don't learn the basics, equipment is only going to take you so far. You could have purchased a $1000 SLR and still end up with poor photos and would come back asking for more tips. We are just trying to save you the time and money.

I just hope that this thread has helped others on this forum on their way to taking better photos. :)

JamesS88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 14, 2012
I just hope that this thread has helped others on this forum on their way to taking better photos.

Hi Biophase,

Do you go to bed late or wake up early?

Seriously, though. I read in your thread that you advocate taking your own pics vs using the manufacturers. Why is that exactly? I'm sure there is a good reason, I'm just curious what it is. What if theirs are very good?

S

stranger

What did the other forums tell you to do? Did they tell you to go out and buy a $150 point and shoot within a day?

The point I am trying to make hear is that hopefully you came away learning something about photography. You asked a question that was going in the wrong direction. If you don't learn the basics, equipment is only going to take you so far. You could have purchased a $1000 SLR and still end up with poor photos and would come back asking for more tips. We are just trying to save you the time and money.

I just hope that this thread has helped others on this forum on their way to taking better photos. :)

What the hell do you want from me still? Go to educate someone. Ok, you gave me your advice, and I want to give you my one too. Launch a photo course for newbies.
Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.