The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a high paying part time job, and need to start a business on the side… which one do I pick?

Idea threads

Eddie239

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 14, 2023
Hello All I am fairly new to the Forum and would like to firstly introduce myself. My name is Eddie and I am 20 years old based out of Auburn Wa. I Am a barber with a good clientele, married and gonna have my first baby in a couple days!

I came to the forum to discuss and generate some ideas on any business to start with about 15-25 extra hours a week and some capital saved up. some of my current options are:

-Pressure washing business (I have more than half the tools necessary already including Van)

-Mini Excavator Rental Business (my dad has an excavator and truck with a trailer that I can use to get started, just an idea!)

-Wedding/event rentals OR Jetski/any other fun things to rent out to my clients ( I am a barber with alot of young clients)

-feel free to add any ideas, All of these are specific to my situation and current possessions that can help jumpstart any of these, but I am going nuts with analysis paralysis… my goal is for one of these businesses to generate me a good income even if I’m sleeping, or to hire employees and have them work for me, my goal is to get into flipping houses full time, but in the meantime I think these are my options. In summary, which of these businesses do you all believe I should prioritize or consider more heavily over the others?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
most importantly ... what is your why? why do you want to do this? what is your outcome?

Eddie239

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 14, 2023
most importantly ... what is your why? why do you want to do this? what is your outcome?
I would say to make more money in general, be a bit busier, and get closer to investing in real estate/ buy my own house… I have some free time and these are the opportunities that I see through my lens…

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
-Mini Excavator Rental Business (my dad has an excavator and truck with a trailer that I can use to get started, just an idea!)
This is the one I would go for.

Do you use the term Plant Hire in the US? Where companies hire machinery to the construction industry. You may have a different term.

You can grow this from one to hundeds of machjnes if you want. No limit.

Drive past a construction site and look at all the plant machinery sitting there earning money.

And when it's past its usefulness it's either sold for scrap, parts, or shipped to developing world countries that can't affford the new machines that US companies will upgrade to.

Dan

Eddie239

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 14, 2023
This is the one I would go for.

Do you use the term Plant Hire in the US? Where companies hire machinery to the construction industry. You may have a different term.

You can grow this from one to hundeds of machjnes if you want. No limit.

Drive past a construction site and look at all the plant machinery sitting there earning money.

And when it's past its usefulness it's either sold for scrap, parts, or shipped to developing world countries that can't affford the new machines that US companies will upgrade to.

Dan
Hey Dan appreciate the advice, I am not familiar with term plant hire but will look into it today, I’m mostly thing about which persona I will target for this rental business, especially if it’s gonna be strictly MINI excavators. I’m assuming contractors and homeowners doing DIY projects?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Small landscaping companies that don't want the cost of owning, servicing and securing will hire these from you so yes.

Bulldozers, diggers, excavators etc are all called Plant in the UK. Because like a plant they go into the ground and move the earth. And the construction industry uses these so the companies that hire them out are called Plant Hire. :)

Dan

Eddie239

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 14, 2023
Small landscaping companies that don't want the cost of owning, servicing and securing will hire these from you so yes.

Bulldozers, diggers, excavators etc are all called Plant in the UK. Because like a plant they go into the ground and move the earth. And the construction industry uses these so the companies that hire them out are called Plant Hire. :)

Dan
Ok gotcha! Makes sense, I will definitely look more into this industry/business and get started with what I got

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
The self styled richest man in the world and international playboy, worlds largest arms dealer, owner of yacht bought by Trump was a Saudi called Adnan Kashoggi. Uncle of Jamal Kashoggi who Crown Prince MBS of Saudi had chopped up a couple of years ago in the Saudi Embassy.

2nd paragraph in business career.

Dan

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I would say to make more money in general, be a bit busier, and get closer to investing in real estate/ buy my own house… I have some free time and these are the opportunities that I see through my lens…
do you have capital to deploy or just time?

1. are you capped as a barber? are you sure? are there ways to take your talent and get paid more for the same time? start your own shop and have other barbers working for you? buy out the current shop owner? expand locations? .... it is what you know. start in that arena.

2. what business could you buy? no, you don't need money. seller finance options are out there. Is there something that matches up with being a barber? what problem does your solution create? what is ahead of you in the customer chain? just after you?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
and get those goals SPECIFIC and MEASURABLE.

what amount of money by what date?
what amount of real estate by what date?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Curious have you ever heard of a barber shop owner who is well known in Washington music named Taj King? He is out of the Tacoma area.

Eddie239

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 14, 2023
The self styled richest man in the world and international playboy, worlds largest arms dealer, owner of yacht bought by Trump was a Saudi called Adnan Kashoggi. Uncle of Jamal Kashoggi who Crown Prince MBS of Saudi had chopped up a couple of years ago in the Saudi Embassy.

2nd paragraph in business career.

Dan
Wow that is wild, very good to hear that’s how he started… this si definitely on top of my list

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.