The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How would you make money on a 18k FB group?

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
My friend has a Facebook group with 18 thousand members and is wondering how he could make extra money from it. The group is about gardening and maintainence around your home where he offers tips and advice. Would anyone have any advice on this or suggestions on how to make some money from it?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
momomaurice

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
You and your friend should read TMF or Unscripted.

Then find a common pain point of people in his group. Should be easy to do with 18 thousand people.

Develop, test, and launch a product or a service that satisfies the aforementioned pain point.
Thanks. I have them both read already. He has a plan that he can ask people with services to advertise on his group and they then pay a monthly fee. He was just looking for other ideas to add to the mix.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Service offerings from specific providers would be tough unless it's a very geo specific audience (all in the same state for instance). However, he could sign up for HomeAdvisors affiliate program or some other aff program that accepts phone calls with national coverage and post lawn maintenance/design related posts on a recurring basis through the busy season. Lawn maintenance to retaining walls to sodd, probably looking at $5 to $20 per lead.

Lawn and gardening products would also be the ideal fit here, just identify the needs of the market and try to be as relevant as possible when making recommendations.

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I can't remember the name of it, but there is a Facebook group started by a guy in the state I live in, sharing pictures of epic lawns. He grew to 70k members, and started selling anything relevant, gardening tools, fertiliser, whatever you need to grow a good lawn.

Your friend could develop his own gardening/home maintenance brand, start by selling products to the group and expand his reach with Amazon, eBay, google etc.

As for the social media, get a before/after movement going, showing how advice, products, have helped changed peoples outside areas... Show some photos or videos of celebrity outside areas, something for people to aspire to... Theres heaps to do here with the right energy and execution.

ColmMcGrass

New Contributor
May 16, 2018
Hey, I,m the friend ha.

Thinking of having an Approved vendor list. I set a precedent for a high standard of work, and minimum entry criteria. Once a vendor is on this list it means I have approved him basically, and the customers know that the vendor is to a standard. Specifically a massive emphasis on customer service, and complaint management.

The contractors pay me a subscription of €500 a year with an approved contractor in each state/county and a max of 2 vendors per county unless in capital city where we would split it into large areas.

Customers will soon gain confidence with the approved list.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Should be easy to do with 18 thousand people.
I await to hear the easy secret with baited breath.

I have 150,000 users in my FB group and it has pretty much become worthless... that is unless I went to spend $100 to promote a post to get more worthlessness.

pwilliams84

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 30, 2017
Florida

I have 150,000 users in my FB group and it has pretty much become worthless... that is unless I went to spend $100 to promote a post to get more worthlessness.
i find this hard to believe, though wouldn’t call into question your ability to monetize your reach. i would wonder if it is linked to your admitted fb cynicism (which i share) though?

however, you’re not actively selling products to everyone, right?
but even just posting a link to your most recent youtube video doesn’t drive traffic, which drives views, which drives income? i know not much, but it’s free, right?

this gardening dude should be able to easily set up a shopify store and ali express some DIY tools out or something. or maybe spend a weekend creating some DIY manuals - flower beds, gardens, bird feeders, whatever? or at a minimum, recommend products through amazons affiliate program?

just doesn’t seem correct to have a following like this and not be able to get ANYTHING out of it. unless the followers were bought from Bali and Pakistan for $0.01 a pop.

mind you, this is coming from a guy who has a million and one ideas that probably could turn into something, but can’t seem to execute anything and is sending this from the shitter at my slow lane workplace trying to escape for 15 minutes.
good luck.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
i would wonder if it is linked to your admitted fb cynicism (which i share) though?
Ha, probably has a wee-bit to do with it.

however, you’re not actively selling products to everyone, right?
I'm selling nothing other than awareness and knowledge.

but even just posting a link to your most recent youtube video doesn’t drive traffic, which drives views, which drives income? i know not much, but it’s free, right?
True, but it is negligible. Any unpaid post would be lucky to get 1000 views.

Rockford

Burpee Enthusiast
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 31, 2017
New York City
I would also recommend building an email list from those 18k members. That's an asset you can take with you should Facebook decide to upend the applecart in some way.

IGP

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2015

Is FB Group reach really as low as page reach these days?

I'm in a lot of groups and constantly get notified of new posts.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

It's completely useless even for simple idea extraction?

I meant that it should be easy to extract at least an idea or two from a group of 18k people. I didn't mean to imply they would buy a product/service it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Is FB Group reach really as low as page reach these days?

I'm in a lot of groups and constantly get notified of new posts.
I think OP means a FB group and MJ means an FB Page. Pages reach without promotion are next to zero these days. But (well run) groups are super active. I have close to 3k active members a day on a group with only 6.5k total.

For an FB group there is a lot you could do...

- poll everyone on their favorite gardening products then make an organized amazon listing thread and pin it to the top. That will be instant affiliate money and you could do it tomorrow.

- partner with some else’s products or services and work an affiliate deal. Little harder than amazon but higher %

- make your own products and services. Most effort but biggest payoff and control.

With 5% of your group buying something over a year it would only take a one off $110 product to make 100k. Or $9 a month. If you got your value right it shouldn’t be too hard.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just to share some stats on a group of 6500:

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.04.23 a.m..png

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.05.22 a.m..png Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.06.01 a.m..png

An 18k group should be 2-3 times as active as this. With the right mindset and some great value products/services/systems you should be able to make something work. Tag me in this thread if you need more feedback, I have been working with groups for a while now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom