The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to teach your kids to invest and live in the fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Here is a subject heavy on my mind, I've got three little ones (4yrs, 2yrs and 7month), and I want to give them a good financial education and how to live in the fastlane.

I'm looking for any ideas I really want to make sure my kids are not drawn into the 9-5 life.

Here are a couple that I have come across so far:

1) Allowance based: give each kid an allowance and explain that a % must go to investing. To keep it simple have them choose a stock from a good company (Disney, Hershey, Fisher Price, coke) something they relate to. Purchase one share, frame the cert. in their room and sign up for the dividend re-investment plan. Then at each semi or annual statement purchase further shares from there allowance fund (this way you avoid all the brokerage fees.

I like this concept because it gets them in the habit of investing and thinking about their future. Another note was the author suggested that the parents match the investment, as the kids got older any extra funds started to go into the investments ratherthan be wasted because the kids figured out they were getting free money.

2) Car motivation: In one of the books (I think RD) he had a friend who gave his kid $3,000 for a car but told him he needed to turn it into $6,000 in the stock market before he could buy the car.

3) Start your own business: My dad, being an antique dealer set us up with our own side businesses. Typically selling a particular item through trade magazines (went something like this, he would find a large stock of an item, say back issues of a magazine, we would post an advisement for that item along with our mailing address for someone to order our catalogue and then we would fill the orders as they came in)

4) My Grandmother's method: My Grandma did a clever thing when I got my first job (washing dishes at a local inn) she agreed to match every dollar I made if I showed her good records and bank statements. So I kept the best accounting books a kid could. (Unfortunately the job only lasted 2 months so the habit never really stuck).

Does anyone have any other strategies to get their kids $$$ savvy?
Anything you remember working on your kids?
Or what worked on you when you were a kid?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

blizzard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 4, 2009
Another thing is to get them to earn money by working for themselves while still young, by finding opportunities to fill someone's need. Of course nothing too complicated, my idea is what me and my neighbour did when we were kids; After a snow-storm, going door-to-door of houses that didn't have their sidewalks shoveled and asking them if they wanted to pay us to do it.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
#1 lead by example.

#2 when they are about 10 years old, set up a checking account with a 6 month allowance for clothes, movies, haricuts, etc. Let them learn the consequences being frugal OR blowing the whole wad on a expensive jeans vs. the JC Penny brand. Learning to manage money is essential for success. If they blow all their money in 1-2 months DO NOT bail them out, make them suffer the consequences. They will, hopefully, learn to do better the next 6 months. this plan is much better than an allowance I think.

When my kids turned 18 I made sure they did their first wholesale deal so they would always know how to make money on demand QUICKLY My Real Estate Profits on Steroids book was initially written as an instruction book for my kids.

They did some targeted marketing then within a few days got a contract they could flip. It takes about 10 days to get paid and you never have to buy the house or rehab it. My son made $7500 on his first deal. My daughter made $11,800 on her first deal. They were both hooked and still do wholesale deals now.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
There's a great post on this subject by AroundTheWorld

On top of that, I know ServiceFly started a thread ideas for a game to get children interested in investing.

IMO with how spoiled I was as a kid(even though I have been working since I was 11) and seeing how spoiled this generation is, it is something badly needed as the economy as a whole is a reflection of this and teaching children fiscal responsibility at a young age and making it fun will help solve a lot of these problems for generations to come.

Much like how the Fastlane has made discussing success and forcing action fun for adults :smxB:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Aroundtheworld or ServiceFly, can you post the links to your threads, when I did a search for kids, children, investing nothing jumped out.

Thanks!!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Aroundtheworld or ServiceFly, can you post the links to your threads, when I did a search for kids, children, investing nothing jumped out.

Thanks!!

here is one..http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/off-topic-discussion/4823-kids-money.html

How to get your family involved in your business life: http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...plan/5986-propel-your-life-into-fastlane.html

Discussion about your kids education... http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/off-topic-discussion/6687-questions-about-homeschooling.html

Another... not specifically kid related, but more family related..http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/general-business-discussion/19181-wahm-wahd-tricks-trade.html

Also family related: http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/off-topic-discussion/8421-matter-money-marriage.html

and... even more off topic! (lol) http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/off-topic-discussion/14629-childbirth-there-better-way.html

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Great post Scout! ...Seems like half the battle is just getting kids/people to think big (or I should say, not letting other teach them to think small.) If you can nurture their imagination and teach that every problem has a solution, then you plant the seed of entrepreneurism/creative thinking in them. Get them to be confident in their abilities to think and reason and not let others determine the validity of an idea.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Update:

ATM business is going just fine.

However, we have found that it is just too passive for the kids. They lose interest. Of course, they are learning a valuable lesson in "passive" but they are such energetic kids that they have gone on to other ideas.

I have learned that if the goal - as a parent - is to help your kids learn valuable business lessons - it is better to go with something a little less passive. Otherwise, you are lacking many of the learning opportunities that may be available in other endeavors.

Right now, they are working on bring a board game that they invented to market.

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Thanks for updating the thread.

Can I ask how many machines they have? Do the get a good ROI? Maybe the ATM business can fund the board game.

thanks again,
James

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
My kids (the 13yr old and 9yr old, the 2yr old is too young) are not allowed an allowance, but are allowed to earn money for specific chores, ie taking out the trash, doing dishes, vacuuming the house, washing the car, etc. There is a certain dollar amount associated with each chore and they get paid weekly. They both have an investment account and they can chose to invest their paycheck or spend it. if they invest it, I match 25%of their money and they can invest any amount of their paycheck they want. I went over the financials of several different companies with them in order for them to chose their investments (I limited it to about 20 companies, mainly for my benefit) and they track the gain/loss every month with a P&L. I have also showed them both how compounding interest works and how their money can grow exponentially. At least once a month we have a financial discussion about their finances and the family's.

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI
Most suggestions here link money to working for it. RD suggests working for the investment. I know you have to start somewhere but does anyone here have any examples of teaching their kids to work for the investment as opposed to just money?

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Bump...

I was just looking through old threads I had commented on and came across this one. So I wanted to add a video link I watched this week on TED talk:

by Cameron Herold about how to raise Entrepreneural kids. He listed out the following traites and skills:

Traits:
Attainment
Sales
Handling Failure
Tenacity
Introspection
Boot Strapping
Leadership
Networking
Customer Service

Skills:
Problem Solving
To Lead Others
To Want to Make Money
Public Speaking
To Ask Quesyions
To Learn from our Mistakes
How To Sell
To Never Give Up
To Be Creative
How to Save Money
To Ask For Help
To See Solutions

Anybody have any more to add...

globalmargaret

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 9, 2013
Alaska
That is a great starting list! I wish I had learned 3/4 of those at a younger age than I had. Perhaps this a softer side of the topic, but I think the mitigating risks/healthy risk taking might need to be on that list as well as some basic karmic understanding. (no one ever became poor or depressed by helping others)

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Yes 'Karmic Understanding' is good, after posting I was thinking 'appreciation of others' is key to add. Along with 'Willpower', 'Love of Learning' and 'Emotional Control' or 'Emotional Intelligence'...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.