The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to deal with the cracking/pirating of software and choosing target audience

Marketing, social media, advertising

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023
How to deal with the cracking/pirating of software? I'm making an engineering software which will be both useful in windows and macOS operating systems. And the target audience mostly will have like 70% windows and 30% macOS.

But I'm not developing it for the windows first, even 70% market is there because I believe most of the people who won't buy or will pirate the software are on windows.

Is it wise to first develop it for macOS with only 30% audience (and it's easy and relatively fast for me to develop in macOS as well) or try to target the 70% windows audience? (it'll take much more time to learn and develop for windows as well)

Your valuable suggestions are most welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
100% of $0 is $0

Thats like saying “I saved a bunch in taxes this year by making no money”.

In life we call these things “good problems”. You should hope that tons of people hack your software because it’s so popular.

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023
100% of $0 is $0

Thats like saying “I saved a bunch in taxes this year by making no money”.

In life we call these things “good problems”. You should hope that tons of people hack your software because it’s so popular.
Thank you for your reply.
What are your suggestions on developing the software fast, better and with less troubles on macOs than taking much time to develop the software in windows, considering the fact that macOS has only target audience of 30%.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
What are your suggestions on developing the software fast, better and with less troubles on macOs than taking much time to develop the software in windows, considering the fact that macOS has only target audience of 30%.
Can your software be used through a browser or an app?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
If 30% of the market is a good enough size, and you have the skills, start with macOS so you can get something out there and see if people will open their wallets.

If they do, you can think about going after the windows market.

If they don’t, you haven’t wasted loads of time learning to develop software for windows.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Yes consider developing a web-based software which works on all platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android.

It is technically not possible to pirate / crack a web-based software (unless a hacker gets your source code, but that is a security problem).

And the downloadable software architecture is outdated. Nowadays the trend is the web-based apps. It is much easier for the customers as well. And think about it, you only need to support the latest version of Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox. These browsers are now pretty good at following the web standards. You can just tell your customers to upgrade to the latest browser version. You don't need to support the 100 different versions and 1000 different configurations of Windows and Mac.

A lot of users just never use any downloadable software. They open their web browsers and perform tasks only in their web browsers.

I wouldn't even buy a downloadable software. When I find a downloadable software, I immediately search for a web-based alternative.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Yes consider developing a web-based software which works on all platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android.

It is technically not possible to pirate / crack a web-based software (unless a hacker gets your source code, but that is a security problem).

And the downloadable software architecture is outdated. Nowadays the trend is the web-based apps. It is much easier for the customers as well. And think about it, you only need to support the latest version of Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox. These browsers are now pretty good at following the web standards. You can just tell your customers to upgrade to the latest browser version. You don't need to support the 100 different versions and 1000 different configurations of Windows and Mac.

A lot of users just never use any downloadable software. They open their web browsers and perform tasks only in their web browsers.

I wouldn't even buy a downloadable software. When I find a downloadable software, I immediately search for a web-based alternative.
I’m the opposite, web based stuff is a PITA unless necessary. It forces me to keep updating my OS, forces me to use a browser, means I have to be online etc.

Ideally I want something that just works that can sit on my computer.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Is it wise to first develop it for macOS with only 30% audience (and it's easy and relatively fast for me to develop in macOS as well) or try to target the 70% windows audience? (it'll take much more time to learn and develop for windows as well)
If you don't need any access to OS-interfaces, you may look into Electron.JS. That way, you can develop everything in JS and you only need ONE software, which is basically a web app that can be rendered into a desktop app. If that isn't a possibility, than I would go with the bigger TAM.

You can literally copy/paste everything that is available on the frontend. If there are no really complex algorithms behind the scenes (backend), like simple CRUD statements, you can rebuild that logic in no time as well. I would argue that "pirating/cracking" a software in terms of rebuilding it is one of the easiest things today, especially because they are all public and not OS-dependent.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I’m the opposite, web based stuff is a PITA unless necessary. It forces me to keep updating my OS, forces me to use a browser, means I have to be online etc.

Ideally I want something that just works that can sit on my computer.
Like winrar and a calculator or?

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023
It can, as a web app, and If I make it as a webapp I will have more control over who are allowed to use etc. But as I see desktop software provides users with more versatility and reliable interfaces than the web versions. It involves critical calculations done within the software, so I feel users will be hesitant to use web versions. Even I don't use web versions for serious work.

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023
If 30% of the market is a good enough size, and you have the skills, start with macOS so you can get something out there and see if people will open their wallets.

If they do, you can think about going after the windows market.

If they don’t, you haven’t wasted loads of time learning to develop software for windows.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I will make it available for the macOS first and then go for the windows market.

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023

Thank you for the reply,
I will look more into the web-based software as well. My concern is the versatality, realiability and performance of web apps. It involves large repetitive calculations and I might need to provide them with dedicated servers as well if I go for the web apps etc.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
It can, as a web app, and If I make it as a webapp I will have more control over who are allowed to use etc. But as I see desktop software provides users with more versatility and reliable interfaces than the web versions. It involves critical calculations done within the software, so I feel users will be hesitant to use web versions. Even I don't use web versions for serious work.
Ignore what you use, the market will tell you.

These serious calculations, what are they?
Why cant a server do them?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.