The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Achieve ANY Giant Goal by Setting It S.M.A.R.T.

Anything related to matters of the mind
G

Guest-5ty5s4

The lessons learned as a kid carry on through adulthood... and the lessons you don't learn as a kid carry on as well. I.e. if you learn to set S.M.A.R.T. goals as a kid through sports, you will kick a$$ as an adult. If you don't, you will always struggle and wonder why.

My club Swim coach taught me that your goal shouldn't be "get faster" because that's a bad goal, for example. Goals should be...

Specific - (Break 1:00 in yards for 100 breaststroke)
Measurable - (Swim times are measurable, "fast" is not)
Action-focused - (Never miss a practice, lift weights 3x per week, get extra help with technique...)
Realistic - (R may have stood for something else, but realize how long it takes to drop time - it takes work!)
Time-constrained - (Final date is February X, Regional Championship meet, etc.)

How does this apply to business, you may ask??

Well... if your goal is to "get rich," that's a pretty terrible goal. You need a S.M.A.R.T. goal instead.

Specific - $ amount, actual business, units sold, customers serviced, etc.
Measurable - How many sales will you need to make? Houses/doors owned for rent? Stock portfolio? Website traffic?
Action-focused - You need a rigorous plan. This should feel like your job. # of doors knocked, calls made, client meetings, quotes, etc!
Realistic - set yourself up for success and go step by step. Do not say "I have $0 and next week I will have $10 million. I have no plan." This DOES NOT MEAN to limit yourself!! It means accurately assess what needs to be done.
Time-constrained - Have an end date. It's okay if you fail but you need to measure progress

There are lots of threads like this but if you don't know the S.M.A.R.T. acronym, it is super important!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
The lessons learned as a kid carry on through adulthood... and the lessons you don't learn as a kid carry on as well. I.e. if you learn to set S.M.A.R.T. goals as a kid through sports, you will kick a$$ as an adult. If you don't, you will always struggle and wonder why.

My club Swim coach taught me that your goal shouldn't be "get faster" because that's a bad goal, for example. Goals should be...

Action-focused - (Never miss a practice, lift weights 3x per week, get extra help with technique...)
Realistic - (R may have stood for something else, but realize how long it takes to drop time)

Well... if your goal is to "get rich," that's a pretty terrible goal. You need a S.M.A.R.T. goal instead.

Measurable - How many sales will you need to make? Houses/doors owned for rent? Stock portfolio? Website traffic?
Action-focused - You need a rigorous plan. This should feel like your job. # of doors knocked, calls made, client meetings, quotes, etc!
Realistic - set yourself up for success and go step by step. Do not say "I have $0 and next week I will have $10 million. I have no plan."
Time-constrained - Have an end date. It's okay if you fail but you need to measure progress

There are lots of threads like this but if you don't know the S.M.A.R.T. acronym, it is super important!
After reading this, looking at the goals I’ve written down in the past seem ridiculous, probably why they haven’t been that effective.

Thanks for this! @thechosen1

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

Realistic - (R may have stood for something else, but realize how long it takes to drop time)

Realistic - set yourself up for success and go step by step. Do not say "I have $0 and next week I will have $10 million. I have no plan."

Considering my music competition's deadline is in January, this might be hella effective.

Thanks!

Blu H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 24, 2018
Venice Beach
Man oh Man... that's exactly the Post I needed to read this morning! Currently a Sidewalk failure who nodded @ MJ's work for years... but binged watched TV ordering Uber Eats while doing Nothing!

S.M.A.R.T might be my pass key to undo my Kevin Trudeau "it will come when it's time mindset"! MJ talked about the Law of Effection I know... but it didn't hit me in the right spot like S.M.A.R.T just did!

Geez... got work to do! Got no clue what I even want beside driving a Hyundai Genesis off the lot!!

Damn!!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What if we don't achieve our goals within the timeframe assumed, when setting smart goals?
That’s ok. What you should do is set the next goal.

For example, I am sad to say I did not ever go under 1:00 in 100 breaststroke (my brother did - this is yards not meters) but I did go from 1:20 to 1:04 in only two seasons

The key is to keep pushing the goal further. Adjust. Measure progress. Set another one with a new time constraint and lessons learned.

So of your goal is to get to $10k revenue per month by the end of 2022 starting at $0 and at New Years you are only at $3k per month... do not be sad! Be excited you went from $0 to $3k... and now make a plan to go from $3k to maybe $6k by March or April!

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Realistic - (R may have stood for something else, but realize how long it takes to drop time - it takes work!)

Eh bien... si votre objectif est de "devenir riche", c'est un objectif assez terrible. Vous avez besoin d'un objectif SMART à la place.

Spécifique
- Montant en dollars, activité réelle, unités vendues, clients servis, etc.
Mesurable - Combien de ventes devrez-vous réaliser ? Maisons/portes possédées à louer ? Portefeuille d'actions ? Trafic du site ?
Axé sur l'action - Vous avez besoin d'un plan rigoureux. Cela devrait ressembler à votre travail. # de portes frappées, d'appels passés, de rendez-vous clients, de devis, etc !
Réaliste - préparez-vous au succès et avancez étape par étape. Ne dites pas "j'ai 0 $ et la semaine prochaine j'aurai 10 millions de dollars. Je n'ai pas de plan." Cela NE SIGNIFIE PAS se limiter !! Cela signifie évaluer avec précision ce qui doit être fait.
Limité dans le temps - Avoir une date de fin. Ce n'est pas grave si vous échouez, mais vous devez mesurer les progrès

Il y a plein de fils comme celui-ci mais si vous ne connaissez pas l' acronyme SMART , c'est super important !
Thanks you for this post, @thechosen.for more clarification on this acronym.
S.M.A.R.T. is a mnemonic acronym, giving criteria to guide in the setting of goals and objectives for better results, for example in project management, employee-performance management and personal development. The term was first proposed by George T. Doran in the November 1981 issue of Management Review. He suggested that goals should be SMART (specific, measurable, assignable, realistic and time-related).

Since then, other variations of the acronym have been used, a commonly used version includes the alternative words: attainable, relevant, and timely. Additional letters have been added by some authors.

The principal advantage of SMART objectives is to give a clear road map for both the employee and the evaluator. The employee to have a clear understanding of what needs to be delivered and the evaluator to assess the outcome based on defined criteria. SMART criteria are commonly associated with Peter Drucker's management by objectives concept.

Often, the term S.M.A.R.T. Goals and S.M.A.R.T. Objectives are used. Although the acronym SMART generally stays the same, objectives and goals can differ. Goals are the distinct purpose that is to be anticipated from the assignment or project, while objectives, on the other hand, are the determined steps that will direct full completion of the project goals.

History
The November 1981 issue of Management Review contained a paper by George T. Doran called There's a S.M.A.R.T. way to write management's goals and objectives. It discussed the importance of objectives and the difficulty of setting them.

Ideally speaking, each corporate, department, and section objective should be:

Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
Assignable – specify who will do it.
Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.
Notice that these criteria don't say that all objectives must be quantified on all levels of management. In certain situations, it is not realistic to attempt quantification, particularly in staff middle-management positions. Practicing managers and corporations can lose the benefit of a more abstract objective in order to gain quantification. It is the combination of the objective and its action plan that is really important. Therefore serious management should focus on these twins and not just the objective.

— George T. Doran, There's a S.M.A.R.T. way to write management's goals and objectives.
wikipedia source.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia

Realistic - set yourself up for success and go step by step. Do not say "I have $0 and next week I will have $10 million. I have no plan." This DOES NOT MEAN to limit yourself!! It means accurately assess what needs to be done.

Personally, for me, the S.M.A.R.T goal method is a sub method or a sub step. We will always have a broad goal and its these methods that helps break down big goals to actionable items. So for me, I'll always need both.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Personally, for me, the S.M.A.R.T goal method is a sub method or a sub step. We will always have a broad goal and its these methods that helps break down big goals to actionable items. So for me, I'll always need both.
Absolutely. This is one way you can break down your big idea into the steps you need to take to get there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.