The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Approached a Mentor and Got Coached on Business for Free

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
A few weeks ago, I saw a post on how to approach a mentor. So this last week I did.

Currently, I am in a co-working space that has a lot of knowledge shares, info sessions, and seminars directed at specific knowledge acquisition. The other day we had a seminar on Google PPC. It was an eye-opening experience that I took away a few strategies to get started on PPC.

And I did.

The important part is that I took action. I set up 5 different campaigns to test a new market that I am looking at focusing on. I ran the ads for a few days and then I saw this business mentor the other day.

Since it looked like he wasn't doing anything (chess game with no one in front of him), I went up to him and told him thanks for the information and told him I set up a few campaigns. He was surprised, intrigued, and he asked some more questions.

Eventually, he asked me to show him.

Then we sat down and talked about my strategy, the actions that I needed to take next and all things that I was interested in with PPC.

He was overjoyed that I took the time and put the action into what he had taught us and as I see it I got all the value, but it is always important to consider just how much it will mean to others when you can put the information and teaching they give you into action.

I didn't need to do anything special or be the best student, I just had to show that I was paying attention and that I was willing to take action on what he had taught us.

There are probably more keys to this, but what was most powerful in getting this meeting with this mentor was:
1.) Learning what he had to offer in forms of technical knowledge
2.) Applying that technical knowledge through specific action
3.) Being grateful and showing that I was taking the initiative.
4.) Taking a chance in starting the conversation, but also leading it in an indirect way where he has the opportunity to help me or not. This was all based on the value that the mentor received and why he was willing to help so much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MrProductive

Couchpotatoe turned Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Dec 13, 2016
Nice work. Sometimes it can be so easy. Just taking the initiative and transform what you learned in seminar into action is something most people do not do. I can see, why he was impressed and intrigued.

Thanks for sharing.

JPMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2016
Very nice. I think the actions you took made you a special student. And also may be it made him feel great since he knew the result of his advice on you and how you make actions out of that. Great story, thank you for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.