The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You REAL Entrepreneurs Overcome Analysis Paralysis & Information Overload?

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hey guys, I am a long time entrepreneur. Originally, I caught the entrepreneur bug at around the age of 15. I tried affiliate marketing, drop shipping, eBay selling and created some really basic apps that I plastered all over google play. I was ALL action back then. If I thought it, I did it.

Life happens and I quit, but about 6 months ago I got bit again, but this time by the wantrepreneur bug. It turned out to be the best/worst thing that happened to me. Best because I ended up developing love for knowledge, growth, and looking forward to failure (for experiences). Worst because I can confidently say I don't take action anymore.

Now, I look back at these 6 months and I see how much I accomplished. Thing is, at the same time, I haven't accomplished anything. I've read tons of books, pseudo started a digital agency which I dropped the day after I got my "business cards", and got a an actual "job" with the skills I self-taught. It's been a lot of fake action. I'll spend hours researching a market to start a business to put it off and do nothing with that knowledge. I have so much information and knowledge on what to do, but very little practical experience.

My "ego" takes a serious hit when I ask questions like this. It makes me feel like everything I've been learning and going through have taught me nothing. I do understand my strengths and weaknesses better and I know I am good at creativity. I can put a good plan together, create replicable processes, and I am good at learning from experience.

Now, I want help businesses create their brand identity. To earn more experience I am planning on starting my own brand in a cognitive health company. Thing is, I am stressing over digital vs physical product. There are many more steps that come with starting a physical product company vs digital. Finding distributors, sources, logistics, and shipping. The plus on digital is the crazy possibility of growth. I think Uber & AirBNB. While I am sure it was not easy to get to where they are, they own 0 products. No hotels, no cars. I mean, shit, in some years AirBNB is valued higher than Marriott and Hilton. Digital is also my favorite landscape, being a digital marketer.

FINALLY... The question is, what drives you serial entrepreneurs to make a concrete decision?

P.S - I am not looking for a detailed answer to my question. I understand that everyone must make their own decision. My question is, when you feel indecisive, how do you combat it? What is your process of validating an idea? How do you validate it both for the market and for your own intuition? Most importantly, how did you acquire the skills to do this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hey guys, I am a long time entrepreneur. Originally, I caught the entrepreneur bug at around the age of 15. I tried affiliate marketing, drop shipping, eBay selling and created some really basic apps that I plastered all over google play. I was ALL action back then. If I thought it, I did it.

Life happens and I quit, but about 6 months ago I got bit again, but this time by the wantrepreneur bug. It turned out to be the best/worst thing that happened to me. Best because I ended up developing love for knowledge, growth, and looking forward to failure (for experiences). Worst because I can confidently say I don't take action anymore.

Now, I look back at these 6 months and I see how much I accomplished. Thing is, at the same time, I haven't accomplished anything. I've read tons of books, pseudo started a digital agency which I dropped the day after I got my "business cards", and got a an actual "job" with the skills I self-taught. It's been a lot of fake action. I'll spend hours researching a market to start a business to put it off and do nothing with that knowledge. I have so much information and knowledge on what to do, but very little practical experience.

My "ego" takes a serious hit when I ask questions like this. It makes me feel like everything I've been learning and going through have taught me nothing. I do understand my strengths and weaknesses better and I know I am good at creativity. I can put a good plan together, create replicable processes, and I am good at learning from experience.

Now, I want help businesses create their brand identity. To earn more experience I am planning on starting my own brand in a cognitive health company. Thing is, I am stressing over digital vs physical product. There are many more steps that come with starting a physical product company vs digital. Finding distributors, sources, logistics, and shipping. The plus on digital is the crazy possibility of growth. I think Uber & AirBNB. While I am sure it was not easy to get to where they are, they own 0 products. No hotels, no cars. I mean, shit, in some years AirBNB is valued higher than Marriott and Hilton. Digital is also my favorite landscape, being a digital marketer.

FINALLY... The question is, what drives you serial entrepreneurs to make a concrete decision?

P.S - I am not looking for a detailed answer to my question. I understand that everyone must make their own decision. My question is, when you feel indecisive, how do you combat it? What is your process of validating an idea? How do you validate it both for the market and for your own intuition? Most importantly, how did you acquire the skills to do this?

Dude, just start.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
594%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

I've never been one to spend much time validating ideas or making decisions. Most could probably get somewhere and make some kind of process, so I just go with what sounds best and makes the most sense for me.

If I started a lawn mowing business, I'd have challenges. If I started flipping thrift on ebay I'd have challenges. If I started xyz I'd have challenges and hurdles and barriers. But no matter what I started, I'd eventually make a dollar and I'd have one more dollar than the guy who's still trying to decide the best way to make a dollar.

That said, I do consider my goals. I'm not in it to be the next AirBNB or Uber. I don't need a company of that size, or that much income to live how I want. So I do things that keep me from corporate slavery and build passive systems in the background.

What makes the most sense for you based on the life you want?

Usually it's not the initial direction that's the deciding factor in a business. In my experience, it's how you overcome the rest of the challenges after you start.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
My personal strategy has been to send a thousand different emails to suppliers, design and re-design the product, bounce ideas off of my wife until she starts eye-rolling, and send ridiculously long PM exchanges to @Scot

As you might have guessed, it's not working.

EDIT: And this is an aside that's most likely just a product of my unpleasant temperament, but "serial entrepreneur" is one of those phrases that makes me throw up in my mouth a little. It's what people who've never run businesses but start "coaching" businesses call themselves. :clench:

Last edited:

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017

I just make a decision and go for it. The best part about being actionable and deciding, is if it is the wrong decision, as soon as you know it is or even suspect it is, correct with another decision. Change. Making a bad decision and changing to another better one as you learn is fundamental.

It is much worse to me to make no decision than a bad decision. With a bad one, you have learned something new and you have gotten somewhere. With no decision, it is the same as just sitting on the sidewalk, while the rest of the world passes you by.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
I've never been one to spend much time validating ideas or making decisions. Most could probably get somewhere and make some kind of process, so I just go with what sounds best and makes the most sense for me.

If I started a lawn mowing business, I'd have challenges. If I started flipping thrift on ebay I'd have challenges. If I started xyz I'd have challenges and hurdles and barriers. But no matter what I started, I'd eventually make a dollar and I'd have one more dollar than the guy who's still trying to decide the best way to make a dollar.

That said, I do consider my goals. I'm not in it to be the next AirBNB or Uber. I don't need a company of that size, or that much income to live how I want. So I do things that keep me from corporate slavery and build passive systems in the background.

What makes the most sense for you based on the life you want?

Usually it's not the initial direction that's the deciding factor in a business. In my experience, it's how you overcome the rest of the challenges after you start.

Im assuming what you are saying is you just keep moving, without worrying about where you are headed?

I'm still very immature it seems. Just like most guys my age I want to travel the world and experience different prespectives of live. I genuinely want to help other businesses develop on new ideas. I'd like to speak in public helping others eventually all over the world. My desire is to keep moving. This is why I am biased towards a digital company. I don't have the limitations like physical store, manufacturing and so on.

I am impressed. You have the trait that I am constantly working on developing. I've followed some of your advice for some time, and you always do what you preach.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
My personal strategy has been to send a thousand different emails to suppliers, design and re-design the product, bounce ideas off of my wife until she starts eye-rolling, and send ridiculously long PM exchanges to @Scot

EDIT: And this is an aside that's most likely just a product of my unpleasant temperament, but "serial entrepreneur" is one of those phrases that makes me throw up in my mouth a little. It's what people who've never run businesses but start "coaching" businesses call themselves. :clench:

Lol I had a feeling. Don't really know what serial entrepreneur represents but I meant it as in someone that just takes action without too much analyzing and gets results.

SEO Guy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
May 14, 2017
Page 1

In life, you should really only "feel" one of two things for the most part. Curiosity or gratitude. Grief of course comes naturally with the loss of loved ones, no way around this.

When everything happening in the current moment is good and ideal, then you feel gratitude.

If things are not ideal, you are curious about the future. Through curiosity comes accurate action based questions such as "What can I do to make my situation ideal?" - "if I were to take this action, what might it look like?"

Your brain works extremely well when working with scenarios. For example...

Let's say that you want to build a website for a product or service that you're launching. You want to build the website to see if people will be interested in your product and it's easier than you telling as person what you do for 5 minutes everytime they ask. You'll now be able to say "Hey, just check out my website."

As you're thinking about building the website, you'll want to start by asking questions.

First, you want to make sure building a website is even the right action to take. You can do that by asking questions and playing out scenarios in your head. Such as, "What is the opposite of building this website?" - "What other options do I have to achieve the same goal?"
- The opposite of having the website is giving a 5 minute pitch everytime someone asks about your product
- The opposite is not having a place to send traffic
- The opposite may be just having Instagram, Facebook, etc as your platform. But where do they go from here? (another question)
- The opposite would be not having something that can eventually rank on google and bring you money on autopilot.

Okay so, because the opposites of building a website don't make any sense in your situation, then we can safely say that it's worth your time to build a website.

We really want to deal in opposites when we are thinking about taking action on something. Understanding that the opposite of doing something is absolutely absurd, is key. For example, instead of starting a business, why isnt your brain just focused on robbing a bank or playing the lottery over and over again until you win? You aren't focused on these things, because your brain has come to the conclusion that starting a business is the best want to achieve your goals. And through the rough calculations it's done, it knows not to spend time researching "Lottery Tips" or "How to Rob a Bank" - Because it knows those are ABSURD ways to reach your goal.

Until the opposite of doing something is absurd in your mind, then it will be hard to take consistent action. That's why there is such a different level of drive and motivation in those who are broke about to be evicted, and those who have a $70,000 job.

If you're about to be evicted, the opposite of starting a business is being homeless! SCREW THAT - motivation level: 100%

If you have a $70,000/year job, the opposite of starting a business is.... Still driving around in a mercedes, coming home to a fridge full of food, not worrying about bills, and going on vacation. NOT BAD - motivation level: 5%

However, once the person that makes $70,000/year understands that the opposite of starting a business is spending 40-50 hours a week for the rest of their life while also missing many of life's treasures (kids, family, relaxing, alone time, self development, spirituality, etc) then they will reach 100% motivation.

All in all, next time you're thinking about doing something... Imagine doing the opposite of what you want to do and typically you'll see that the opposite (sitting around) won't get you very far. Once you're "motivated" and you do want to take action on something, take action in the form of asking questions and answering them.

Maybe @AndrewNC can add on more

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
I just make a decision and go for it. The best part about being actionable and deciding, is if it is the wrong decision, as soon as you know it is or even suspect it is, correct with another decision. Change. Making a bad decision and changing to another better one as you learn is fundamental.

It is much worse to me to make no decision than a bad decision. With a bad one, you have learned something new and you have gotten somewhere. With no decision, it is the same as just sitting on the sidewalk, while the rest of the world passes you by.

I am aware of the huge benefit of taking action. Even if I fail, Ill be learning something fundamental from it. Personally, I have been influenced too much by self-help books. They have been great and I am grateful for the road they opened up for me. On the negative side, I've been so romanticized to believe that you must do what you love. "Bill Gates always knew he wanted to work on computers!" "You know what you truly want to do!". This makes me doubt much more if what I am doing is what I really want to be doing.

I just think it CANT be that easy. I have to suffer more. I have to fail more. It can't be as easy as just picking a business and starting it.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013

Decisions are dubious things
All you can really do is set up a FLEXIBLE plan that will account for your MANY moods and tendency to change your mind
Business is like any other creative process, you won't know what to do until you know and are in the process of doing it
You just need to encourage and reward action and always put your foot forward to finish things off or get them closer to completion when given the opportunity

No one is perfect, so stop measuring yourself off of that, and just measure if the effort you are puttiing into things is coming out the other end in some way
Connect effort in to effort out and you'll have something at least

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
594%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Im assuming what you are saying is you just keep moving, without worrying about where you are headed?

I'm still very immature it seems. Just like most guys my age I want to travel the world and experience different prespectives of live. I genuinely want to help other businesses develop on new ideas. I'd like to speak in public helping others eventually all over the world. My desire is to keep moving. This is why I am biased towards a digital company. I don't have the limitations like physical store, manufacturing and so on.

I am impressed. You have the trait that I am constantly working on developing. I've followed some of your advice for some time, and you always do what you preach.

Well, you have to be moving to keep moving. If you want to travel, then the answer to your decision seems obvious. You SHOULD worry about where you're headed. That's the only thing that does matter. Where you want to be or what experiences you want to have in life. As long as you know what those are, then the path you take to get there doesn't matter so much. Physical product or digital, either one can let you travel the world. Both have challenges, and neither will be easy.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
In life, you should really only "feel" one of two things for the most part. Curiosity or gratitude. Grief of course comes naturally with the loss of loved ones, no way around this.

When everything happening in the current moment is good and ideal, then you feel gratitude.

If things are not ideal, you are curious about the future. Through curiosity comes accurate action based questions such as "What can I do to make my situation ideal?" - "if I were to take this action, what might it look like?"

Your brain works extremely well when working with scenarios. For example...

Let's say that you want to build a website for a product or service that you're launching. You want to build the website to see if people will be interested in your product and it's easier than you telling as person what you do for 5 minutes everytime they ask. You'll now be able to say "Hey, just check out my website."

As you're thinking about building the website, you'll want to start by asking questions.

First, you want to make sure building a website is even the right action to take. You can do that by asking questions and playing out scenarios in your head. Such as, "What is the opposite of building this website?" - "What other options do I have to achieve the same goal?"
- The opposite of having the website is giving a 5 minute pitch everytime someone asks about your product
- The opposite is not having a place to send traffic
- The opposite may be just having Instagram, Facebook, etc as your platform. But where do they go from here? (another question)
- The opposite would be not having something that can eventually rank on google and bring you money on autopilot.

Okay so, because the opposites of building a website don't make any sense in your situation, then we can safely say that it's worth your time to build a website.

We really want to deal in opposites when we are thinking about taking action on something. Understanding that the opposite of doing something is absolutely absurd, is key. For example, instead of starting a business, why isnt your brain just focused on robbing a bank or playing the lottery over and over again until you win? You aren't focused on these things, because your brain has come to the conclusion that starting a business is the best want to achieve your goals. And through the rough calculations it's done, it knows not to spend time researching "Lottery Tips" or "How to Rob a Bank" - Because it knows those are ABSURD ways to reach your goal.

Until the opposite of doing something is absurd in your mind, then it will be hard to take consistent action. That's why there is such a different level of drive and motivation in those who are broke about to be evicted, and those who have a $70,000 job.

If you're about to be evicted, the opposite of starting a business is being homeless! SCREW THAT - motivation level: 100%

If you have a $70,000/year job, the opposite of starting a business is.... Still driving around in a mercedes, coming home to a fridge full of food, not worrying about bills, and going on vacation. NOT BAD - motivation level: 5%

However, once the person that makes $70,000/year understands that the opposite of starting a business is spending 40-50 hours a week for the rest of their life while also missing many of life's treasures (kids, family, relaxing, alone time, self development, spirituality, etc) then they will reach 100% motivation.

All in all, next time you're thinking about doing something... Imagine doing the opposite of what you want to do and typically you'll see that the opposite (sitting around) won't get you very far. Once you're "motivated" and you do want to take action on something, take action in the form of asking questions and answering them.

Maybe @AndrewNC can add on more

Really interesting way of dealing with paralysis. It sounds like NLP concepts?

Usually by tomorrow I'd forget all these posts and go back to my action faking. Im trying to take today to really see what's lying underneath these patterns.

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
@SinisterLex is correct

i overcame by embracing failure - for me, gathering more knowledge was an scape from the fear of failing, so i decided to fail

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How many have you sold?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
send ridiculously long PM exchanges to @Scot

We're up to 14 pages now. I get a lot out of those conversations because I get a bounce ideas off of you. I like to think I help too haha

For me what got me to finally focus and get stuff done was a good idea that I genuinely cared about and was passionate about. If you found some random widget on Alibaba you don't care about, is it really going to push you to get things done?

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
We're up to 14 pages now. I get a lot out of those conversations because I get a bounce ideas off of you. I like to think I help too haha

For me what got me to finally focus and get stuff done was a good idea that I genuinely cared about and was passionate about. If you found some random widget on Alibaba you don't care about, is it really going to push you to get things done?

Well that is what I was saying in the post above. For me that is the problem. I have so many things that I could see myself taking serious, that its tough to choose. Sometimes I feel if I were to just pick an idea and do it, it would be better than trying to decide.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I have so much information and knowledge on what to do, but very little practical experience.
The modern-day education system is seriously fu*ked.

You've never been taught how to learn. That statement is an oxymoron if you really think about it. I've been helping one specific forum member in starting up his business. I gave him tasks to accomplish and access to one of my video training programs. While most people go straight to the video training program to learn, and apply that to the real world; he did it reverse.

One day he said to me, "Andrew, I went through your video module on ______. It's really nice putting the theory behind what I've been doing."

@Andy Black said many times, and I'm with him on this. Learn by DOING.

I was on a call the other night with another forum member and I used the analogy to when I was going through the police academy in 2010. They had the classroom sessions on the firearms training, and then an entire week at the range. Shooting one shot after another started off terribly, but after doing it over and over again turns your fu*kups into muscle memory.

Go out and build your muscle memory
, and then you can read all the books you want to talk about what you already know.

WHY do you do what you do?

For your intuition - It's a feeling that comes from your heart or right below the rib cage. You have to be in touch with your emotions and when you feel something that has you gravitating towards it, that's where you validate it with your intuition. I remember reading somewhere in transformational psychology and spirituality where there are more signals going up to your brain than down from it. They say your soul rests in the center of your chest at your heart level, and that is the consciousness that powers your body.

But I read that in a book, so it may have been BS.

But from collecting my reference experiences from the past, you'll feel that gravitation towards one thing that feels right for you.

For validating an idea, go out and just kill it. My buddy is the founder & CEO of Freak of Nature

He started the company when we worked a day job in customer service together. There was no huge demand of people looking for his products, but his energy and passion was the driving force behind him selling it and turning it into a very successful business. Go out there and just kill it.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
go do something, anything

you will suck at anything you do

learn why & get better along the way

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Now, I want help businesses create their brand identity. To earn more experience I am planning on starting my own brand in a cognitive health company
Let me challenge you on this.

Do you want to build a cognitive health company because you want to build a cognitive health company? Or do you want to build a cognitive health company so you can have legitimacy for your brand identity creation businesses?

YOU don't need to be the owner of a company in order to know how to build brands.

You could take 10 companies that are in the stages of growing, who don't have a solid brand identity, and work with them for free to get experience building their brand identity. Work alongside them, learn from their business experience, apply what you are learning about building a brand identity.

This way, YOU are the guy who created X, Y, and Z brand identities which are turning into major well-known brands in the industry.

You become a specialist in what you do.

Yes, you can have the other company where you have brand identity, and then you spend your time on sales, marketing, product fulfillment, accounting, etc. - But that would take away from growing the company you want to build...if your company is helping other companies build brand identities.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
Do you want to build a cognitive health company because you want to build a cognitive health company? Or do you want to build a cognitive health company so you can have legitimacy for your brand identity creation businesses?

The latter for sure. While I am interested in doing something in mental health eventually I want it to be less artificial. Like helping them through personal development, meditation, and NLP. I am not sold 100% on the nootropic market, because I know most of the ingredients don't really work and I would feel unethical.

For me its the fun in seeing other businesses and their innovations. It's the fun in making them different, specializing in a niche and dominating. Maybe in the future I'd like to really own a product businesses..But right now helping others is what I prefer.

It looks like I was trying to run away. I've exhausted all the options like market research, customer segmentation and reading that the next step is taking action. For some reason, I though personal branding was not really a business, and I wanted to actually "create" one. I need to go full in to what I choose and just let the flow of things change my course, but not prematurely.

Anyways, I am writing this knowing that I usually write shit like this then go back to doing what I was doing in 3 weeks. I think reading books have given me a false sense of grandeur. It gives me this "But..I read 6 books a month! I have to know what I am doing!"

Anyways good introspection. Personally I write that much detail for myself. It helps me get out my thoughts and then I can evaluate what I really need to be doing.

Thanks

Last edited:

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
Three steps:

Act
Assess
Adjust

(from MJ's Unscripted )

IMHO, and I'm preaching to myself...

Just don't get stuck on any one of those for too long and keep moving.

Last edited:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
The key difference I've noticed between entrepreneurs and employees:

Entrepreneurs aren't afraid of being wrong... or I should say they don't let their fear get in the way of taking action.

Talked to a coworker at lunch. He was a GM at a pizza parlor for 8 years, knows the restaurant business inside and out because he worked for an absentee owner. Wants to start a pizza parlor, but doesn't want to risk 100k to start one. He'd probably be moderately successful at it. He even admitted that it'd be probably turn out OK... but that the 10% chance he goes bankrupt is holding him back.

He's letting his fear hold him back. He'll never start a business. In 10 years he'll be telling a different coworker how he could start a pizza parlor for 200k and probably be successful with it.

Meanwhile, I was recently talking to my friend's dad that turned a business he started in his garage into a $xx,xxx,xxx yearly profit business within 10 years. He said it was a long shot that it'd work out, but he only had to be right with one business to change his life.

He saw the fear. Looked it square in the eye... said "F*ck you" and became a multi-millionaire. In 10 years he could be worth $xxx,xxx,xxx and take his company public. (As an aside, I find this hilarious because this guy gives 0 shits about money, status, nice cars, etc. Most of his employees have nicer cars than him. He loves the challenge of building a large company.)

tl;dr:
Don't be the guy reading books about starting a business and talking about starting a business.

Be the guy writing books about building your business and talking about building (and selling) your business.

Edit: The key is to be fearless. How do you be fearless? I don't know, that's like asking a shy person why they don't like talking. It's just how they are.

Last edited:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
The best way in my opinion is to test it out. You heard dropshipping is working? Try dropshipping. You think a certain niche is on fire? Test it out. You hear of some people doing well importing and reselling? Try it. You don't know what product or niche to try. Pick a niche and order 5 products to test.

Most businesses can be started for a couple hundred bucks. Pick one out and try it. Spend a few hundred bucks and give it all you've got. If it works great! If it doesn't great you now know a way that doesn't work for you. Then move to the next business, idea, product, or niche.

The above has worked really well for me in finding new products to carry. I have no idea which of my 5 favorite products will sell. I order 25 of each. If none hit no biggie. If one hits or all 5 hit no biggie. Either way I go to another 5 products and test those.

L.A. Jau

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 5, 2017
Leeds
Ironically for me, I beat analysis paralysis when I read the 50th Law and The Millionaire Fastlane for the first time.

I felt that fiddy' helped me realise the fear of my own success and generally about stoicism (stop dreaming, start living and be 100% cool with dying because you did everything to live that day). Then MJ nailed it by making me understand the trappings of comfort (analysis paralysis) and of course, by inspiring me with a better way to live and do business that I believed I could also do myself.

This made me realise I had to start and continue everyday no matter what, because the alternative felt like suicide and a waste of life.

Dramatic...I know, but I haven't stopped, so this worked for me!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I would say for me, the latest lesson I learned this last year, is the challenges I wanted to avoid in the past and thought, if I just educated myself enough, did all my inner work, on the other side I wouldn't have to deal with it again. Ha ha! Wrong! I think we like to believe we can avoid challenges, that we won't ever have to deal with certain types of people, try to go around what we're avoiding, our deepest fears, but frankly, entrepreneurship makes you face everything in your psyche until you're completely at peace with the past, know your triggers, know your strengths, learn to keep your emotions grounded, emotions in balance, and learning to live a balanced healthy life. It's always going to be an adventure, journey, and you will always have challenges, new fears, if you're not over your basic fears, you're going to have a tougher time when harder challenges come along. I don't feel indecisive, because there's only two answers. Action or no action. Indecisive is being stuck in emotions, thoughts, feelings, and wasting a lot of time not moving in any direction.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Your wife and @Scot are awesome.

"Serial killer' and 'serial entrepreneurs' in that misused context might become synonymous lol:clench:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.